Author Topic: NEW IDEA  (Read 865 times)

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
NEW IDEA
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:34:49 PM »
I posted this in the other HR forum.

I bought a .410 barrel from someone on this site and it did not fit tight with my receiver. It had a bit of play in it but not enough to cause it to come open while closed.

I sat and thought about what I might be able to do to it to make it fit and still be able to use the 20 gauge barrel that originally came on my Pardner as well.

I knew I couldn't modidy the receiver because then I would not be able to fit the 20. MSP mentioned brass shim might work. I have none of that, and so I thought about maybe a thin piece of brass or metal ring might slip over the hinge pin and be able to be removed. No dice on that.

I finally decided to try a wacky idea that popped into my head right then. Whats the most easily accessible, malleable, versatile metal in your house??

TINFOIL.

i cut a piece the same width of the lug on the barrel and folded it about 4 times until it was thick enough, i thought, to make it fit.

It didnt fit. So i tore off layers until it fit and what do you know....my Parder "locks up tight as a bank vault door" again, lol.

I thought i would let everyone know, so that the barrels we trade and sell can be used a littlr more easily and cheaply. I hope it can help other HR fans.  :grin:

I only want a quarter every time someone does this. Royalties ya know. lol  :-D
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
NEW IDEA
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:12:05 PM »
is that what they call a riggin????? least ways it wasnt a new use for duct  tape hahahah  ill remember this one ,,,, so did u experiment an see how many open and closings u get out of a shim???

Offline mjbgalt

NEW IDEA
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 02:33:31 PM »
i played around with it and i opened and closed it many times with no change in the feel.

quickdtoo says he already thought of this 40 years ago so i guess i dont get my royalties, damn.  :cry:

we shall see how many openings and closings i get out of it. idont plan to use it THAT much so if i have to re-do it once a season, so be it.

quickdtoo and i have also kicked around other ideas you can find in the HR centerfire forum.

Offline mjbgalt

NEW IDEA
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:35:44 PM »
i think i will appeal. he only has FORTY YEARS on me, lol

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
NEW IDEA
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:57:05 PM »
Great idea!! even if it wears out or compresses after 100 or so shots I hear you can buy aluminum foil in rolls quite reasonably at supermarkets these days!!! :-D ....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mjbgalt

NEW IDEA
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:00:25 PM »
it shouldnt compress, i have 3 or 4 layers folded. and if it does, it wouldnt be that hard to use a piece of tape measure or something like that.

Offline mjbgalt

NEW IDEA
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 03:02:44 PM »
besides, i have reason to believe that shaner and quickdtoo are members of a conspiracy, designed to cheat me out of my quarters lol

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
NEW IDEA
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 03:12:20 PM »
1/4's?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline mjbgalt

NEW IDEA
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 03:23:05 PM »
no my royalties...i said i wanted 25c every time someone used foil on their gun, it was a joke lol

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
NEW IDEA
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 03:29:13 PM »
OK, OK, you got me, the next time I use it I'll send you a quarter!!!....<><.... :)

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
NEW IDEA
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 05:00:46 PM »
Have you considered using industrial tape of some kind, like clear packing tape?  You could stick in to the barrel side and it would ride on the hinge pin.

Just throwing out ideas here (that I hope no one has come up with  :wink: )

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
NEW IDEA
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 05:40:25 PM »
oh no not me ,,, i want u to get all u deserve !!!! hahaah u know a old tape measure proboblt would work , be a lot hard to wear out ????then u can measure out just what yu need????? yeah get it????? measure out ???

Offline Nightrain52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
NEW IDEA
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »
How about trying an aluminum soda or beer can. :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
NEW IDEA
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 02:07:48 AM »
How about smearing the barrel lug with a thin layer of JB Weld, let it harden then carefully filing it down a little at a time until you get a perfect fit?  This would seem like a more permanent fix.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
NEW IDEA
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 02:21:37 AM »
I picked up some of the brass shim stock at my local NAPA auto parts store for .65 a runnung inch. Got two widths, .025 and .050 and have enough for about......well for a long tme. It holds up pretty well but does form itself to the barrel lug points a little. Haven't fired any shots using it yet so we'll see.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
NEW IDEA
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 02:23:41 AM »
I have also heard that you can order steel shim stock from Brownells.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
NEW IDEA
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 03:27:31 AM »
When you go to old yard sales or garage sales, buy any old sets of feeler gauges you can find. Great hardened shim stock all measured and marked in the different thicknesses. Even just one piece (leaf) of .001 or whatever thickness you need will do several barrels. Cut th size and epoxy in place into the barrel recess holding it in place with a steel rod, chain saw file or spike of the proper diameter....<><.... :grin: