Author Topic: Finally found a Buffalo Classic....should I buy???????  (Read 919 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Finally found a Buffalo Classic....should I buy???????
« on: August 18, 2004, 03:31:17 AM »
Finally found one (no one locally can seem to locate one) out of state on the internet. With shipping and transfer fees it will probably be $380.

Should I buy it? I love the looks of it but have never shot one. Expensive to shoot. What do you guys shoot it for? Hunt? Target? CAS?

On the fence right now........can anyone offer some advice? How do you like yours? Accuracy?

Offline Deadeye47

Finally found a Buffalo Classic....should I
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 05:34:51 AM »
Of corse you should buy it!! :-D  What a silly question.... :)  Not a bad price either with all the gibblet expenses thrown in.....you'll love it!!!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Re: Finally found a Buffalo Classic....should I buy???????
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 05:56:39 AM »
With shipping and transfer fees it will probably be $380.  Good price buy it.

Should I buy it?  Yes

Expensive to shoot. Not if you learn to reload.

What do you guys shoot it for? Black powder loads, smokeless and the enjoyment there of.

Hunt? Yep I have

Target? Yep

CAS? Yep

Can anyone offer some advice? First thing is change that ugly modern Williams rear peep sight out to a much more historical sight, can advise if you wish.  Secondly change out the front Lyman 17 AUG globe sight with a proper Lyman 17a which sits lower to the barrel.

How do you like yours? I love it, this is my second one

Accuracy? Can provide a very nice target pic of a 3 shot group[/b]

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »
Heck...you don't even need to learn to reload idf your gunshows are anything like they are around here...you can pick up some nice loads for $7.00 a box to have something to shoot out of it...but it is cheaper to roll your own...I think you'll find a concensus around here to buy it while you can...and enjoy it...you can do just about anything you want to with it...and I agree with the Montanan...when you can afford a new site for it ...get one...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline JPH45

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 04:39:14 PM »
I didn't realize the Buffalo Classic would qualify as an arm for Cowboy Action. Is the qualification on the Buff only or can any Handi in 45-70 or 30-30 be used. (I am assuming this is for the long range event) Please enlightnen us, Thanks, JP
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »
GET OFF OF THE FENCE AND GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!!!  Before someone else snatches it out from under you.

45-70 is a blast (pun intended) to shoot.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 05:37:56 PM »
Like these guy's said, it''s a blast to shoot. My Ultra blast's on both ends with some of the loads.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:04:46 AM »
My advice, because you can only say that you like the looks of it right now, is don't buy it!    

A rifle is a tool that means different things to different people, I admit, but I wouldn't buy one for its looks.     I buy firearms because of the work they can accomplish for me......even though I do target shoot more with some of them than I can hunt.    

Years ago the man was right: only accurate guns are interesting -- and that's because of the good uses you can put them to.    If I want something pretty in front of me I look can look at a catalog without spending any money.    No matter how pretty it looks, if it won't shoot then it's nothing I need or want.    

Just a thought about the nature of a firearm.

Take care.     :wink:
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:24:28 AM »
Quote from: safetysheriff
My advice, because you can only say that you like the looks of it right now, is don't buy it!    

A rifle is a tool that means different things to different people, I admit, but I wouldn't buy one for its looks.     I buy firearms because of the work they can accomplish for me......even though I do target shoot more with some of them than I can hunt.    

Years ago the man was right: only accurate guns are interesting -- and that's because of the good uses you can put them to.    If I want something pretty in front of me I look can look at a catalog without spending any money.    No matter how pretty it looks, if it won't shoot then it's nothing I need or want.    

Just a thought about the nature of a firearm.

Hogwash... Buy it if you got the cash (but don't buy it if you have to buy on credit).  The price is reasonable and if you find that you don't like it for some reason advertise it on this site and I bet you will get every nickle back.  If you don't you will always wounder what it would have been like.  How many times have you looked back and said to yourself "if only I had ________ when I had the opportunity now I'm too old, too broke, too busy, etc."  

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Brett

Oh... No offence intended SS  :cb2:
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »
if i didnt already have one i would buy it.
luckily i found mine at a local gunshow and the guy only wanted 200 bucks for it!! i jumped on it.
i got rid of that rear sight and installed a creedmore tang sight straight onto the wrist of the stock. no inletting no nothing just lined her up and screwed her down. i gave 25 bucks for the tang sight on here from a pard.
it is very repeatable, and as far as accuracy i got some pics of a 6inch three shot group at 500 yards, i just got to figure how to post em on here.
if you want a quality in expensive shooter, the buff is the way to go.
i used to want a shilo sharps but after owning this buff for abt a year i figure why give ten times the amount for the shilo when the buff can shoot just as good for a fraction of the price.
sorry, im stepping down off my soapbox now :P

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 03:00:54 PM »
Quote from: Brett

Hogwash...
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Brett

Oh... No offence intended SS  :cb2:

Brett,

You lunatic,  for $380 dollars he can buy a lot of things that he can do more than 'look at'!     I just can't understand how you young people handle MONEY !    

That's MY story, and I"M stickin' to it!

ps.   no offense!  8)
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Brett

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 04:33:49 PM »

Brett,

You lunatic,  I just can't understand how you young people handle MONEY !

:lol: SS, Thanks for the complement.  At 43 I was afraid that I was over the hill.  If you will notice I advised Ridge Runner to purchase the gun only if he could do so without borrowing the $.  Firearms, particularly second hand firearms, can be a good investment.   Three of mine have doubled in value since I acquired them and the others have not depreciated any.  Which is more than I can say for my investment portfolio which is finally beginning to recover from the slump of a few years ago.

That's still my story and I'm still sticking to it!

Hey SS, I may be a Lunatic as you say but the good Lord has seen fit to bless me and allow me to buy my 5 year old, 2,400sq/ft home and 2 full acres of land with cash a couple of years ago.  :-D

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 12:25:30 PM »
Brett,

The Psalms, ch22, vs4 state: "The reward of humility and fear of the Lord is riches, honor, and life."

I hope you continue to be blessed.    

Take care.

SS'

Offline Brett

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 03:09:25 AM »
Don't worry SS.  I give God all the credit and all glory.  It's all his realy, He's just letting me use it for a while.  Deut.10:14, Psalm24:1

I'm sure you know SS, but for the benefit of others here who may not know, God want's us to be prosperous.  Provided of course that we keep our focus on Him.      

"[/i]But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." Deut.8:18  

I know this string has gotten way off track but man, this stuff is just too good not to share.  :wink:  

SS you have a great and blessed day my friend! :D