Author Topic: Massive Bomb to Mop Up Deeply Buried Targets  (Read 808 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Massive Bomb to Mop Up Deeply Buried Targets
« on: August 11, 2004, 06:26:42 PM »
The US Air Force plans to launch a project later this year to develop an experimental ultra-large 30,000lb (13,608kg) penetrating munition, according to service officials.

It will be optimised against hardened and deeply buried targets that existing air-delivered weapons cannot destroy, they say.

The Air Force Research Laboratory's Munitions Directorate at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, is leading the three-phase technology demonstration, known as the Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) programme. It builds on design studies that Boeing has conducted for the laboratory. Flight testing is envisaged around 2006.

Although the air force has no formal requirement for an ultra-large bomb, it has a concept for a 'Big BLU' family of massive-sized penetrator and blast munitions. The MOP demonstration will mature the technologies so that they are "on the shelf, ready to go" if a requirement emerges for a Big BLU penetrator, said Steven Butler, director of engineering at the Air Armament Center at Eglin. He told JDW that the MOP is "unlike anything" that the air force has ever built.

Interest in a big penetrating bomb is growing in some US defence circles, including the Defense Science Board (DSB), the senior policy advisory panel to the Secretary of Defense. It recommended in its February 2004 report on 'Future Strategic Strike Forces' that the Department of Defense "immediately undertake" a demonstration of a "bomber-delivered massive penetrator" weapon as part of a family of ultra-large bombs that would "improve conventional attack effectiveness against deep, expansive, underground tunnel facilities".
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Massive Bomb to Mop Up Deeply Buried Target
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 02:42:16 AM »
BamBams - that's a good idea.  What a great way to deal with all those underground tunnels and caves the terrorists in Afganistan and Irag like to use.  Mikey.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:57:03 AM »
Definitely a category of ordinance development that needs some attention.

The Chinese are in an active developmental arms race preparing specifically for war with the U.S., and once our next democratic President sells them this technology for campaign support, there won't be anywhere safe for the political rats to hide.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/8/9/172001.shtml

Just seems like something that will probably come back to haunt.

:?
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 04:26:31 AM »
Quote from: FWiedner
Definitely a category of ordinance development that needs some attention.

The Chinese are in an active developmental arms race preparing specifically for war with the U.S., and once our next democratic President sells them this technology for campaign support, there won't be anywhere safe for the political rats to hide.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/8/9/172001.shtml

Just seems like something that will probably come back to haunt.

:?

The simple solution to this impending disaster is to never again make the mistake of electing another Democrat.
Swingem

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 04:43:30 AM »
It keeps looking more and more like the Atomic Bomb instead of being a last ditch weapon should be looked on as a first strike weapon. We are going to have to stop being mister nice guy and get down and dirty and quit playing by the rules. In war there are no rules. :eek:  :shock:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 08:01:20 AM »
Quote from: Nightrain52

Snip...
 In war there are no rules.

Every one but the US seems to know that.   Why don't we know it too?   But then, that would just pull the US down to their level.   Maybe that would be OK as most of them hate us because we think we are better than the them.  :roll:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 02:43:59 PM »
It keeps looking more and more like the Atomic Bomb instead of being a last ditch weapon should be looked on as a first strike weapon. We are going to have to stop being mister nice guy and get down and dirty and quit playing by the rules. In war there are no rules. :eek:  :shock:

That might be a good idea, but I have this vision of back-pack-nukes, bought/stolen from USSR, being smuggled up thru Mexico........they can bring across anything that size anytime they want.
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 02:50:31 PM »
Our Border Guards now have the authority they should have had years ago to turn back the Immigrants at the border.I have a Airfarce 08 I write to and he states the "Penatrator" and what it does is not for public information.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 02:58:51 PM »
Tubby-I would go as far as saying right now every city in the United States that has a college or university has either or a terrorist group or al-quiada members implanted among the students right now and I am also sure that there are already "dirty" bombs in our country right now. Our borders have been open for to long and the damage has already been done. They are already here living among us, might even be your next door neighbor. The US has been complacent for too long. :eek:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 08:49:31 AM »
Tubby;
  You said you had a vision of " payback nukes"...do you really believe that if the terrorists had such nukes they wouldn't use them, whether or not we use a MOP bomb ??
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Movie.."The Passion" will be in stores on 8/31...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 08:52:40 AM »
Mel's great work is scheduled for retail outlets for 8/31/04...

I guess I'll have to buy my first DVD of a movie that is less that 20 years old...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 10:48:27 AM »
NIGHTRAIN52. I have to agree with that. Several of the Godless, subhuman, trash on the planes on 9-11-01 had lived in our country for several years just waiting on orders from their leaders. No doubt there are many here now, just waiting to murder more innocents. I wonder if those scum are well done yet? POWDERMAN.  :-)  :-)  :-)  :-)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 02:17:47 PM »
Tubby-I would go as far as saying right now every city in the United States that has a college or university has either or a terrorist group or al-quiada members implanted among the students right now and I am also sure that there are already "dirty" bombs in our country right now. Our borders have been open for to long and the damage has already been done. They are already here living among us, might even be your next door neighbor. The US has been complacent for too long. :eek:

I disagree with the complacency comment.

Rural residents in southern border areas have been complaining about the uncontrolled influx of illegal immigrants for over 20 years.  Many have been forced to form their own vigilante groups to protect their friends, families, neighbors, and property from crimes initiated by these criminals invading our country.

The INS has refused to enforce codified immigration law, and in fact refers any US citizen discovered impeding an illegal or actively protecting their personal property for prosecution.

The U.S. citizens who are living in the HELL created by the U.S. government are persecuted for acting in their own behalf.  The liberal media hides the obvious fact that the borders are unprotected, and the government just doesn't give a damn, or is pushing another political agenda that DOES NOT include protecting the United States of America.

:evil:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 04:21:10 PM »
Fweidner, Yes i believe that the INS has to shoulder part of the blame for the influx of people from our southern borders. The residents of the southern states have tried to do what they can but they are somewhat limited in the actions they can use. What I meant was the rest of the country has become complacent especially since they don't see what is happening because it doesn't concern them. Well since 9/11/01 it concerns everyone but I feel the terrorists are already implanted in this country and have been for several years. I also believe that there are several "dirty bombs" just waiting to be unleashed. :D [/quote]

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 02:06:51 PM »
Quote from: IntrepidWizard
I have a Airfarce 08 I write to and he states the "Penatrator" and what it does is not for public information.
Dali Llama wonder if "Airfarce" be Freudian slip or misspelling.  Dali say that if it be the former, Dali say it be quite revealing! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk