Author Topic: I have to laugh  (Read 793 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
I have to laugh
« on: October 03, 2004, 01:21:38 AM »
I was stopped the other day for a traffic violation, speeding--72 in a 55 mph zone--two lane state highway. I deserved it-- the other two in the convoy got away--good for them.
Anwho--I pulled to the side of the road, got out my DL, CHL and Insurance papers. Officer, parish Sheriff Deputy, came up and I handed him all the stuff. He looked at the insurance and DL and said all that was fine but what is this other thing. I said it was a concealed handgun  lic. and he asked what it was for. I said it was because I had a weapon in the car and I was supposed to show it when stopped. He said "OK- cool".
I WAS FLABBERGASTED.
I am from Texas and this was a neighboring state. They have a chl program also.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
I have to laugh
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 03:48:30 AM »
"What's this other thing?"  Don't they hire cops who can read anymore, or is that not considered important?  

Sorry to hear about the ticket, though.  I drive somewhat fast myself, and the only cars that pass me are cops!  I make it a point to remind them of that.  If they're not running code, they're supposed to observe the laws like the rest of us!

Papajohn the XLEO Smart-Aleck
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
I have to laugh
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 08:40:37 AM »
Louisiana cops have never let me off with a warning either, lol. Especially be careful while driving through Jennings and Sulphur LA if you are on I-10 between mile markers 70 and 15. The cops are real strict through there  :wink: .

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
I have to laugh
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 07:01:53 PM »
You did better than me - a Texas Trooper stopped me and I handed him the CHL.  With the hand on HIS weapon, asked me where it was.  I stepped to the back of my car while he fished it out of the door pocket, unloaded it and started searching for the serial number!  After 2 minutes I told him it was on the bottom of the grip frame (S&W J frame).

He then runs the serial number AND writes me a ticket.  I wanted to make noise about unreasonable search - but where do I start?
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline williamlayton

I have to laugh
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 04:35:38 AM »
Funny---We, the three of us, kinda left Abbeville at the same time and after gettin out of town onto state 82 towards cameron just kicked it up too 70. Been running that way for 15 or 20 miles.  Slowed to the limits thru the little villages. Bar ditch on both sides of the road.
When I saw him it was after he got to the pickup in front of me and turned on his lights, pointed at me and turned around. I drove about a mile down the road til I found a spot to get off the road. They have some spots along the road where they have put in some small fishing piers and have widened the shoulder to accommodate vehicles.
I asked him "why me"? He said the first vehicle was going 67mph, I thought he had slowed some, but he never put on his brakes, I had mine on cruise. I said what about the one behind me and he said he had not clocked him.
He was a nice guy and was juts gettin who he could get.
That is a strange little ol road anyway, just some groups of houses occasionally, where the ground gets above water. It is a pretty drive, not much traffic and up to now, never been bothered. Traffic always seems to flow at about 65 or 70 and I have never been real concerned about being stopped at those speeds. rarely have to pass anybody but large commercial vehicles, and I am rarely passed.
Blessings
PS--Send the money order, no checks, to VSD in  Abbeville with the ticket. They never heard of defensive driving classes.
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
I have to laugh
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 04:43:16 AM »
The last ticket I got was several years ago, when I was still in LE.  I had parked my car in front of a relative's house, and got a ticket for expired plates.  I had the new tabs in the glove box, but it had been raining the three days since I bought them, and I didn't want to put them on in the rain.  But in those three days, my registration in the computer had already been updated to show the plates had been renewed.  This local cop wrote the ticket anyway, knowing full well the plates were good.  On the court date, I went in, told the judge my story, and handed him a printout of the registration, showing that it had been renewed when the ticket was written.  The judge called the officer in off the street, and loudly chastised him for writing invalid tickets, in front of about 150 people.  The cop left the court with his tail between his legs, and I got off without even paying court costs, because the judge was so mad at the cop.  I giggled all the way home!

The sad fact is, any ticket an officer writes is counted toward his total, good or not.  Most cops will tell you they don't have ticket "quotas", and neither did I.  They were called, "Minimum Performance Standards"!  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?