Author Topic: leading 41 mag  (Read 444 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
leading 41 mag
« on: August 27, 2004, 07:35:34 AM »
I have minor leading in my 41 mag blackhawk. Shootin 215 gr. hard cast bevel based bullets. dont have a crono, so dont know exactly how fast there goin, using 9.2 gr. of 800x.  brinell is between 18-22.  should I load a little hotter? any other suggestions? Thanks!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
leading 41 mag
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 12:45:44 PM »
best advice i can give you is try a different bullet. I DONT LIKE bevel based bullets
blue lives matter

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
leading 41 mag
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 06:48:35 PM »
Ditto. Most commercial cast bullets for the 41 are too hard, have to hard a lube,  are bevel base and are often undersized for ruger bores. Try to find a flat base or gas checked bullet.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
41 Leading
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 04:52:42 PM »
If your bullet is undersized, you do need another bullet.  Most commercial bulletiers prefer the bevel base bullet.

If the bullet is not undersized, I would suggest a slower powder than 800X.  800X is number 54 on my burn rate chart.  I have used 2400 with great success. Try 14.5 grains for approximately 1023 fps.  If that doesn't work, the old 41 and 44 Magnum powder is IMR or Hogdgons 4227 that runs #73 & #75 on the burn rate.  16.2 grains of IMR 4227 will produce about 920 fps.  18 grains will give about 1098.  Work your way up to 18 with caution in your gun.

Another good powder for the 41 Mag is Blue Dot (10.2 grains) and AA #7 (13 grains).  Blue Dot is a powder that you love, but hate it.  BD leaves little black snow flakes everywhere and it gets under the extractor on revolvers, but it shoots great.  

Harold Clark

Offline fffffg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
leading 41 mag
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 07:55:39 PM »
leading in the cylender end can be caused by several things, and i forget what, but probably soft lead,  to large of bullet in cylender, too small of cylender for bore, problems here are uncommon..  leading in the breach is from  stripping of too soft of lead or too hot of load..  leading down the bore is from too little lube, too soft of lube, or too hard of bullet that is under sized and wont bump up..  a medium hard bullet works beautiffully for most pistols and even rifles for reasonable speeds.. its funny how most comercial casters use the hardest lead they can get..   contact bear tooth bullets( use suearch engine to locate) for some cusome high quality bullets of 16-1 lead with gas check..  if your pistol is in good shape it could handle loads from 1000 fps to 1500 fps.. again if your cylinder is not undersized,  or misalined, and there is no barrel pinch in your barrel..  in the old days when the smiths screwed in the barrel they sometimes didnt take enough mettal off the male end of the barrel and screwed it in leaving the breach smaller than the bore at the frame... the only remedy for this is with dead soft  holow base bullets  or a  grease cookie to stop blow by.   a grease cookie is placed behind the bullet and its two peaces of manila folder with a glob of lube inbetween..  buy bullet lube from your local gun supplier.. this cookie looks like an oreo and this is why its called a crease cookie..  if your getting minor leading and the gun is shooting well for 25-50 rounds a gas check may keep it clean enough for normal shooting.. also if it comes out with  bronze brush and  10 minute cleanning job its fine as long as it shoots accuratly..   you may have a non problem if its shooting well ..  dave...
montana!, home of the wolf,  deer,mtn goats,sheep, mountain lions, elk, moose and griz...