Author Topic: Forum Shut Down AGAIN  (Read 689 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« on: August 24, 2004, 01:44:20 AM »
Dali Llama say he notice earlier today that The Shooter's Lounge is shut down yet again, exactly two weeks after first closing.  :(  Dali say all threads appear to be locked up tighter than a proverbial drum.  :(  Dali say that in final thread entitled "It's over," Larry say that forum be "gone."  :(  Dali wonder if this time The Shooter's Lounge be closed forever, or for few weeks.  :?  Dali say that he able to understand Larry's frustrations since, despite clear prohibition and warning, several posters continued to engage in personal attacks and to make both political and religious posts. :cry:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline magooch

Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 02:21:55 AM »
It seems apparent that Larry just doesn't have the temperament to run a forum like the shooter's lounge and that's a shame.  

I know some of the guys were stepping over the line a little, but I didn't see anything that should have caused anyone to get their panties in a wad.  Oh well, the server over there is slower than the second coming anyway.
Swingem

Offline Dali Llama

Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:11:01 AM »
Quote from: magooch
Oh well, the server over there is slower than the second coming anyway.
Ain't that the truth, say Dali Llama!! :D

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:42:10 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Quote from: magooch
Oh well, the server over there is slower than the second coming anyway.
Ain't that the truth, say Dali Llama!! :D

Amen  :)    :)    :)
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 05:10:59 AM »
I pmed larry and volunteered to take over the site (depending on the cost factors), as he claims there are no takers, there is one now.
I like larry, but I can't stand his oppressive regime with that particular forum.
I have found that personal attacks are the only thing I dislike, and even though they are still protected by the first amendment, I wouldn't tolerate it on a personal level.
Discussion and even debate of ALL topics should be fair game.
Anything else is completely anti-first.
Let's see if larry takes me up on the offer.

Ranger
"HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR RIFLES TODAY ?!"

Offline Dali Llama

Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 07:48:32 AM »
Quote from: RIFLERANGER
I pmed larry and volunteered to take over the site (depending on the cost factors), as he claims there are no takers, there is one now.
I like larry, but I can't stand his oppressive regime with that particular forum.
I have found that personal attacks are the only thing I dislike, and even though they are still protected by the first amendment, I wouldn't tolerate it on a personal level.
Discussion and even debate of ALL topics should be fair game.
Anything else is completely anti-first.
Let's see if larry takes me up on the offer.

Ranger
Please let us know, request Dali Llama.

Offline Dali Llama

Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 07:52:17 AM »
Dali Llama say that he agree. Dali say that too many posters resort to personal attacks and name calling when there be anyone with whom they disagree in opinion or who posts too frequently or employ different manner of speak.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:54:26 AM »

The First Amendment has no application to posting on a site like mine or Larry's. You are visitors to our place. No different than a visitor in your home. Do you not limit the actions and speech of visitors to your home? Would you allow what went on there to take place in your home in front of your wife and children?

Now I've not seen what went on there as I don't visit Larry's site. His server is just toooo slooow. I don't have the patience to wait. But what he allows and what he doesn't is up to him and no one else. The First Amendment has nothing to do with it. His site. His rules.

Should he decide to turn it over to you contact me and I'll offer you some helpful info on how to speed it up and all at a very reasonable rate just as I did to Larry. I have no ill will toward him, you or the site or anyone there. Matters not to me if it makes it or doesn't. I do help other site owners when I can. I never consider my site or me to be in competition with others. I've even been known to allow folks to advertise theirs on mine for free when they ask in advance and aren't commercial sites but just offering a service to their viewers.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 09:54:29 AM »
Unfortunately, I think most of us have either witnessed or taken part in the "festivities" or both.  I too, am guilty, but only after I was insulted on a personal level.
I have no problems with funning each other, but when it gets ugly, that's when it's time to put an end to the posters activities, not the whole forum, board, or site.

Just my .03 .
Ranger

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:58:08 AM »
I have no problems with funning each other, but when it gets ugly, that's when it's time to put an end to the posters activities, not the whole forum, board, or site.

Yes indeed. If only others could understand that and accept it.

Unfortunately, I think most of us have either witnessed or taken part in the "festivities" or both. I too, am guilty, but only after I was insulted on a personal level.

Attacking back is NOT the answer and is what creates the problem you've addressed in the other quote above. Unless everyone is willing to allow the site owner to handle such problems and NOT jump right into the fray and add to his problems you can't expect things to ever improve.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline RIFLERANGER

• Avid Poster
Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:08:58 AM »
True, when the site administrator is more available, or when he / she puts mods in place.
Larry wanted to be an absentee landlord, and unfortunately, when the cat is away, well, you know the rest....
And yes, I have resolved to PM anybody in the future that wants to hurl derogatory insults at me, rather than further ugly up the forum.
Ranger

Offline Dali Llama

Forum Shut Down AGAIN
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »
Quote from: TM7
Quote from: Dali Llama
Dali Llama say that he agree. Dali say that too many posters resort to personal attacks and name calling when there be anyone with whom they disagree in opinion or who posts too frequently or employ different manner of speak.

Sure, some of the attacks got out of hand, particularly on one 'morals' topic, but heck, it wasn't much worst than a real bad day in New York!  
:eek:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: