Author Topic: Schofield Bullet  (Read 429 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Schofield Bullet
« on: August 20, 2004, 02:52:17 AM »
Folks, I need a bit of help here.  A while back I saw an add in one of the gun magazines for cast bullets for the 45 Schofield revolver.  The bullet was cast at .451 or .452 inches and looked like a very wide metplat round nose flat point.  The metplat appeared to be almost as large as the flat nose on a 44 caliber semi-wadcutter.  At the time I thought that might be an excellent bullet for the 45 acp, if it would feed properly.

Alas, I have not seen that add again but hope that some of you might have seen the same add or might know of that particular bullet or who the manufacturer is.  

If anyone out there has any ideas about this at all I would appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks all in advance.  Mikey.

Offline fffffg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Schofield Bullet
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 05:26:26 PM »
the bullet you describe sounds like a  pure lead hollow base 250 grain that i use for my colt .45 .. these bullets shoot in guns with varying sizes of bore/ cylinder,  and with common frame pinch on the barrel which causes terrible problems with hard lead. theyh alos work well in six shooters with bad cylinder barrel alignment, .. these bullets are very good for colt .45 cylinder guns but would not seem apropriate for .45 auto but could be  tried..  the colt auto works very well with hardball, but target guns that have been worked will feed on the case, and load alot of bullets... acuracy is the key here with what ever your shooting, and reloading books will show an average accuracy load that you should look at first, buyng those exact components and tweeking the crimp, powder amount, and seating depth.. .. good luck dave..
montana!, home of the wolf,  deer,mtn goats,sheep, mountain lions, elk, moose and griz...