Author Topic: Just joined...  (Read 703 times)

Offline etothepii

• Trade Count: (0)
Just joined...
« on: August 15, 2004, 09:23:38 AM »
graybeardoutdoors, and just joined the NEF family. :grin:

I bought the NEF Survivor in .223 this week. I got it at Wally World for just under $200. Shouldering it, it feels really nice, and I love the look of it too. I'll use it for fun at the target range, and for varmint hunting.

Unfortunately, I'll have to mount a cheap Simmons 8-point scope for now, until I can afford a better scope.

Any suggestions on ammo to start? I'm not a reloader (yet).

I've been browsing the forum, and it seems a lot of people do the o-ring thing. I'll try that too. Any other suggestions for me as I get started?

Thanks! :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Just joined...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 09:33:17 AM »
:D Welcome aboard, try the Winchester white box value pack from Wal-Mart to start. It shoots as good as any and for a reasonable price. Check the search feature for .223 and you will find more than enough reading and tips to keep you busy for a long, long time. Any specific questions just ask and you will most likely get several answers for every question....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Just joined...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 08:31:34 PM »
Welcome to Greybeard Outdoors:

While I'm not a 223 shooter...there are several here that are, and they will be able to steer you in the right direction for ammo selection.In the mean time...look over all the different forums that are here.Along the way,you'll probably make some friends and have some interesting chats...you can give the search feature located at top of this page to assist you in finding out a-lot about your Handi...it's a great little rifle to use and have fun with...and you'll get a chance to meet a whole bunch of people that think so too....

On your Handi...clean it completely...to remove all traces of packing grease...this includes the ejector and trigger as well...then do a thourogh cleaning of the barrel before shooting it...being carefull to clean from the chamber end...not the muzzel end....then take it out and shoot it some and see how it does...you may or may not  need the o-ring on the barrel stud...if you do..then add it...iand when shooting off a rest...have the rest all the way back towards the barrel hing pin...most Handi's shoot better this way...and follow thru on the trigger keeping pressure till after the shot...

Oh...the Winchester white box ammo seems to do pretty good with the 223,from what I can remember of some of the threads here...

Good Luck and congradulations on your purchase...let us know how it turns out....

Mac .... :D
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Just joined...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 04:08:35 AM »
:D Welcome i see NEF got another one  :grin: . I haven`t got a center fire  nef as of YET. have a sporster in 17hmr a huntsman,12ga partner.Do a lot of shooting down at deerCreek,if your down that way stop in nice place to shoot. by the way a lot of the guy`s like the win. white box amo Rich
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Just joined...
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 05:05:10 AM »
Welcome aboard!!  Like it's been said, alot of the NEF's like the white box Winchester ammo from Wal-Mart.  If yours doesn't care for it, you might want to try any of the flavors from Black Hills Ammunition.  I use the 52gr MHP offering from them, and couldn't be happier(around $14-15/ 50 rounds).  Since your from central Ohio, you can find them at the Gander Mountain that is just east of Columbus off of Rte 70.  Have a good one.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline etothepii

Just joined...
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:49:21 AM »
Thanks cattleskinner. There's a fairly new Gander Mountain on the West side, just a few miles from my house. I priced the Winchester stuff at Walmart today. $7.58 for 40 rnds. Pretty good!

Offline etothepii

Just joined...
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:52:11 AM »
Thanks cattleskinner. There's a fairly new Gander Mountain on the West side, just a few miles from my house. I priced the Winchester stuff at Walmart today. $7.58 for 40 rnds. Pretty good!

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Just joined...
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 12:02:34 PM »
man there is a bunch of us from ohio and mostly central ohio we should all hook up and have cookout and target shooting day or may be a camping trip to deer creek of something?

etothepii - good luck with your 223 i never did find a factory round that mine liked and i only have a "ok" hand load for it.  but of the factory stuff mine liked UMC's a lot better then white box ammo , you might give them a try if they wins don't work
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline etothepii

Just joined...
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 04:55:13 PM »
He guys! I do shoot at Deer Creek! Not as often as I'd like, but that is the only target range I go to. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house in Galloway! We should get together some time. :grin:

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
Just joined...
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 09:19:03 AM »
Quote from: etothepii
He guys! I do shoot at Deer Creek! Not as often as I'd like, but that is the only target range I go to. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house in Galloway! We should get together some time. :grin:

i have never shoot at deer creek ,just camped,  but i hear it has a few nice ranges . i wouldn't mid getting together and doin some shooting, you all bang out a date and i'll be there.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline etothepii

Just joined...
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 11:26:13 AM »
Just got back from Deer Creek Forgot my ear plugs. D'oh!. First time shooting the NEF Survivor, and it grabbed some attention there. A few guys were asking about it.

Spent a while shooting, cleaning, shooting, cleaning, etc. Then, I made sure I was on paper at 50 yds. Then dialed in the scope at 100. I shot 55 gr. fmj's, both Winchester white box and Remington umc's.

The Remington ammo was all over the place. I won't be buying that again! It was only about $3.00 for 20 rnds, so I at least learning about this ammo cheap.

The Winchester ammo shot well. Wind and some fidgeting :oops:  aside, I shot a few groups that would fit in a quarter. I think the gun is shooting fine, and the ammo is a good choice. I was using a rolled up duffle bag for a rest, so with practice and a sturdier rest, I'll be shooting well soon. I would not hesitate to take the gun coyote hunting right now.

As far as future Deer Creek visits, I'll be there more and more frequently as hunting seasons approach, on Saturdays and Sundays. Look for a guy with a NEF Survivor (of course) or a Thompson Center Omega. Or feel free to email me if you want to meet there. My name is Jim. :D