Author Topic: Youth 243. help!!!  (Read 926 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« on: August 22, 2004, 01:56:30 PM »
Last week we went to the deer lease to scout around and to let my son practice shooting.  We stepped of 100 yds. I fired the first two rounds just to check the zero.  Both shots were in the 9 ring so I thought good enough.  Since my son will be using shooting sticks I had him practice this and they flew everywhere.  I was still not worried.  We only had a few of the remington 100 cor lockt so I shot some 60 gr hand loads.  They would not group.  Today we went back to the lease to shoot the rem 100 gr and they would not group! What has happened!  I clean it and took the forearm off before we went thanks for your help. oktx

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
I just read a post that said you need to follow thru on the trigger pull.  I bet I was not doing this.  Would this cause it not to group?  The gun was not hit or bumped.  Thanks, oktx.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
When you clean your gun there are three places you absolutly want no oily substances. In the chamber, the latch recess under the chamber and the bottom of the latch, clean these places with alcohol or acetone to a dry state to keep the latch from sliding during firing.

Also you should uses a bore guide in the chamber when you clean the bore to prevent any oil  getting into the chamber.

If the rifle fired you did follow through.

Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:40:00 PM »
How would oil in the latch keep it from grouping? oktx

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 04:02:15 PM »
If the latch slides by only .001 because of the oil, the standing breech will open the barrel and  will move  the bullet  impact by more than one inch for every .oo1". I have seen the breech open by as much as .004".

An oily chamber will just put more thrust on the breach creating more up lift. Some shooters have reported the rifle to unlock during firing. Mainly because of oil on the latch or insufficient latch bearing.

You stated that the rifle grouped in the 9 ring before and lost grouping after you cleaned it. The problem is obvious enough.

Just take a feeler gage and check if you have a gap where the top of the barrel meets the standing breech after you fire a shot. That will tell you if the latch moves.

I guess I should mention that in my write up.

Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:18:39 PM »
I did not use oil because I was going to shoot it the next day.  But I could have not dried  all of the solvent out of the chamber and got some on the latch. Would this have the same effect as oil?  I will clean it with alcohol and try it next weekend.  Thanks for your help.  oktx.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 04:31:58 PM »
Solvents are also lubricants and leave a protective film when dry. Same as putting oil on.
Make sure your hand loads are not sticking out past the chamber. The 243 are bad for stretching and need to have the shoulder set back each time you reload them. They have to have .003 head space to make sure the action closes fully.
Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 04:32:14 PM »
what was the temp?  i had a 253 that didnt like the heat  did it group 100 gr. bullrts to start with ? most nef only like the 85 grain bullerts

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 04:44:44 PM »
It was atleast 93 today.  I cleaned the latch and chamber with a cotton swab and alcohol. they seem to be very dry now.  Thinking shooting the rest of these 100 gr's up and then try some 80's or 85's.  I do not reload any factory favorites?  Thanks oktx

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »
Fred M what is the address to your site?

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 05:16:27 PM »
oktx
I re-read your post and am concerned about one issue.  You mentioned you took the forearm off.  WHY? Was this for cleaning? How did you put it back on?

If you tightened the screw too tight that WILL make a difference too.  Did you rest the forearm the same position as before.  Rest it just in front of the receiver, well behind the forarm screw.

If the gun latches good and doesn't open when you shoot it that should not be  problem.

My son's 223 just hates the first 2 shots after a cleaning.  Then it groups 3/4" all the time.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 06:15:25 PM »
oktx.
Click on the www on the bottom of my post go to item 24 to page 2 and you will find it there. Fred M.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 03:26:33 AM »
My grandson's 243 youth model hates 100 gr. bullets, especially after a few shots have begun to heat the barrel ( even tho we allow about five minutes between shots.).  This is a heavy barrel model so if you have one of the lightweights it would be even more touchy. It will group pretty well with 80 - 85 gr. We like the Remington core-locs. But other brands do ok also.

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Youth 243. help!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 01:47:05 PM »
I took the forarm off for cleaning and then put it back on.  I did not get it too tight. thanks oktx.