Author Topic: "New theory of ballistics"  (Read 711 times)

Offline locksley

• Trade Count: (0)
"New theory of ballistics"
« on: October 13, 2004, 10:43:11 PM »
I found this funny story on a gun auction site will share it here. Thread Title: "New theory of ballistics"
Not really a hunting story- but a true SHOOTING story. During the late 60's I was head of an Army Basic Training company. Thanks to the edict of our beloved Secretary of Defense Mc Namara, we had accepted a LARGE number of young men that were- well, not too bright (MacNamara's 10 thousand). We had them at the basic rifle range, shooting at pop up targets with M-14s. My colonel stopped in to check on training. We were walking the firing line, and the troops were doing well. Except one of our MacNamara's kids- he was prone, but had rolled all the way onto his left side- sights were parallel to the ground, banging away. The Colonel looked at this- and then at me with a questioning look. We stopped the shooter, and asked what was the reason for this strange firing position. He thought for a minute, and then explained that his sgt had explained that them bullets did not travel in a straight line- they curved. And he figured he could lie on his side, and them bullets would CURVE around that bush and hit the target. Ever see a senior Infantry Colonel trying real hard not to laugh out loud?

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:33:02 AM »
That soldier evidently did not understand the gravity of the situation.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:02:58 AM »
Probably learned it from a "Homeboy".
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 11:56:13 AM »
Them city boys is funny!  If that was a country boy, he'd be ricocheting the bullet off'n a rock at the target.......and hittin' it! :-D

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?