Author Topic: It's duck hunting dad.  (Read 414 times)

Offline big medicine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
It's duck hunting dad.
« on: September 09, 2004, 05:19:30 AM »
This morning as my son gave me a hug as I was heading out for work, I asked him if he wanted to help me rig some decoys tonight. He looks at me and says I know it is duck hunting time dad. I said now how do you know that? He tells me, it is 45 degrees dad, and when it is 45 degrees it is duck hunting dad.

A 4 year old that knows duck hunting. Early teal just happens to open up this Saturday. He will be out hunting with me.

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
It's duck hunting dad.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 08:11:05 AM »
More than anything else I am looking forward to hunting-wise, I am looking forward to hunting with my son who is now 3.  Depending on how he is at the time, I intend to take him with me on my various bird hunts (without a gun) at 8 or 9.  I hope he likes it.

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
It's duck hunting dad.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 08:30:42 AM »
Get him a gun! My son has one of those little double barrels that The Sportsman Guide and Cabela's sells. It is a little cap gun that comes with shells and caps. He carries it and is learning gun handling, muzzle control, not pointing guns at people,ect. Might as well learn that stuff now before he gets a real one in his hands.

Offline smoky

• Contributor
    • http://www.cattletoday.com/sscc
It's duck hunting dad.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 08:49:13 AM »
Mauser,

Heck, I killed my first squirrel at age 7 with the ol' 20 guage side by side.  I know plenty of kids that start hunting and have success that young.  You can start him on the play guns now, then on to BB guns and then the real thing.  Just be sure to emphasize woodsmanship and safety above all else.  Thats what my dad did with my brothers and me and what I plan on doing with my daugther (she's 3 also).  With sound teaching and proven trust, my dad was able to let me start hunting by myself (with him still in the vacinity) by the time I was 11.

The ethics and morals that come from the outdoors experience and country life in general are priceless.

Smoky
Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.