Author Topic: Paper cartridge pouches?  (Read 646 times)

Offline dancbtmkr

• Trade Count: (0)
Paper cartridge pouches?
« on: August 24, 2004, 10:14:31 AM »
I've found some retailers selling repro cartidge belt pouches.  http://www.fcsutler.com/fcleather.asp  See here...

Were they just thrown loose in it or was there some kind of wood block that kept them pretty?  I have made a few paper cartidges out of zigzag papers, but they were quite delicate and I feel if they were just thrown loose in a stiff leather pouch,  they'd open up and powder all over.  Anyone chime in on it?  Anyone have what the originals looked like,  either the cartridges or the pouches?

Thanks,
Dancbtmkr    :grin:

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Paper cartridge pouches?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 06:43:21 PM »
Most I've seen hold loose cartridges.

Do you tear'n'pour or load the whole cartridge?  I tear'n'pour and use Bugler paper.  Much thicker than Zigzag and holds up to rough handling.  I get mine by the box from esmokes.
Singing Bear

Offline dancbtmkr

paper type
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 04:43:30 AM »
I will try the bugler paper.  Is it nice and big like the zig zags?  do you attach the paper to the "equator" of the ball?  If so,  what kind of adhesive do you use to make it stay?

I am going to be doing cowboy action with these, and I want to make reloading mindless without having to baby the cartridges.

Dancbtmkr

Can you post a photo of some of your paper cartridges?

Thanks.

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Paper cartridge pouches?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 02:48:20 PM »
They're big enough for making 44 cartridges, if that's what you're concerned about.  

I use a 3/8" dowel wrapped a couple of times with masking tape to the diameter of a 454 round ball.  Wrap the paper around the dowel, glue closed, slide it up till a round ball will fit half way, run a bead of glue and seat the ball.  Remove and let dry about 10 minutes.  Make sure the adhesive strip of the cig paper is on the opposite end of where the ball goes.

After it's dry, charge with powder, dampen the adhesive with a damp q-tip and pinch shut.  It'll be a flat end.  Don't use too much water or wipe the adhesive too many times.  The adhesive will come off on the q-tip and the end won't seal.  You can always use some glue if that happens.  

To load, tear off the end with your teeth, pour powder, "screw" up the paper attached to the ball and run everything in.  

I use plain'ol Elmer's white glue mixed with just a few drops of water to thin it down a bit.  I use a toothpick to spread the glue.

You can do a search for paper cartridges on GBO or www.brimstonepistoleros.com or www.frontierspot.org.  A very knowledgeable  pard has a recipe for making combustible type cartridges.  Just shove the whole thing in, cap and shoot.  :grin:
Singing Bear

Offline dancbtmkr

paper
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 03:53:02 AM »
Are you saying that you wrap the paper opposite of what you would to roll a cigarette? (IE Portrait instead of landscape.....computer jargon)  

Dancbtmkr

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Paper cartridge pouches?
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 07:50:02 PM »
Uhhh....yeh.  :lol:   Lessee, you roll the cig so the adhesive will seal it up, so the cartridges are rolled with the paper at 90 degrees so that the adhesive is the bottom of the cartridge.  Sorry I don't have pics.  We got this new puter and our old digi cam isn't compatible.  :cry:

But yea, that last thing you do with the finished and charged cartridge is dampen the adhesive strip to seal the finished cartridge.   Say you have a 3" dowel.  Wrap the paper at one end to use that end as a reference to roll it straight.  The adhesive will be on the inside of the tube and at the center point of the dowel.  Slide the tube up so a ball will slide down to the half way point or circumference.  It's not real critical and the tube can be slid up or down to adjust.  A tip for handling the tube on the dowel.  Keep a damp paper towel nearby to dampen your fingers.  Helps to grab the paper.  Dry fingers and dry paper don't work.   Kinda like how people will lick their fingers to turn a page of a book.   Hope this helps.  :-)
Singing Bear