Author Topic: Another Swiftie Heard From  (Read 747 times)

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Swiftie Heard From
« on: August 27, 2004, 05:53:36 PM »
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A swift boat crewman decorated in the 1969 Vietnam incident where John Kerry won a Bronze Star says not only did they come under enemy fire but also that his own boat commander, who has challenged the official account, was too distracted to notice the gunfire.

Retired Chief Petty Officer Robert E. Lambert, of Eagle Point, Ore., got a Bronze Star for pulling his boat commander - Lt. Larry Thurlow - out of the Bay Hap River on March 13, 1969. Thurlow had jumped onto another swift boat to aid sailors wounded by a mine explosion but fell off when the out-of-control boat ran aground.

Thurlow, who has been prominent among a group of veterans challenging the Democratic presidential candidate's record, has said there was no enemy fire during the incident. Lambert, however, supports the Navy account that says all five swift boats in the task force "came under small arms and automatic weapon fire from the river banks" when the mine detonated.

"I thought we were under fire, I believed we were under fire," Lambert said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

"Thurlow was far too distracted with rescue efforts to even realize he was under fire. He was concentrating on trying to save lives."

The anti-Kerry group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, has been running television ads challenging the Navy account of the boats being under fire. Kerry has condemned the ads as a Republican smear campaign.

A career military man, Lambert is no fan of Kerry's either. He doesn't like Kerry's post-Vietnam anti-war activity and doesn't plan to vote for him.

"I don't like the man himself," Lambert said, "but I think what happened happened, and he was there."

A March 1969 Navy report located by The Associated Press this week supports Lambert's version. The report twice mentions the incident and both times calls it "an enemy initiated firefight" that included automatic weapons fire and underwater mines used against a group of five boats that included Kerry's.

Kerry's Bronze Star was awarded for his pulling Special Forces Lt. Jim Rassmann, who had been blown off the boat, out of the river. Rassmann, who is retired and lives in Florence, Ore., has said repeatedly that the boats were under fire, as have other witnesses. Lambert didn't see that rescue because Kerry was farther down the river and "I was busy pulling my own boat officer (Thurlow) out of the water."

Thurlow could not be reached for comment about Lambert's recollections.

But speaking for the Swift Boat Veterans group, Van Odell, who was in the task force that day, remembers it differently from Lambert.

"When they're firing, you can hear the rounds hit the boat or buzz by your head. There was none of that," he said in a telephone interview from Katy, Texas, where he lives.

On Thursday, the group released a 30-second Internet ad disputing Kerry's contention that his swift boat crossed into Cambodia. Kerry's campaign has acknowledged that he may not have been in Cambodia on Christmas Eve of 1968, as he has previously stated, but that he does recall being on patrol along the Cambodia-Vietnam border on that date.

Lambert said the swift boats were on their way out of the river when a mine exploded under one, PCF-3.

"When they blew the 3-boat, everyone opened up on the banks with everything they had," he said. "That was the normal procedure. When they came after you, they came after you. Somebody on shore blew that mine."

"There was always a firefight" after a mine detonation, he said.

"Kerry was out in front of us, on down the river. He had to come back up the river to get to us."

Lambert retired in 1978 as a chief petty officer with 22 years of service and three tours in Vietnam. He does not remember ever meeting Kerry.

08/27/04 11:24 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 01:18:57 AM »
This swift boat thing makes me feel bad for the Vietnam vets out there who would have preferred to not be reminded in this way about the controversy about the war and their service.  

How in the world do we evaluate this stuff that happened 36 years ago when none of us where there?  Now we have an Admiral who is not, evidently, part of the swift boat group saying Kerry's first Purple Heart was for a superficial, self-inflicted wound for which he put himself up.  No doubt this guy's character is about to be assassinated.

I lay the blame for this squarely on John Kerry who brought the whole thing up for the sole purpose of gaining advantage.  I was fully prepared, as I believe many people were, to judge him solely on his senate record-easily the most relevant thing on which to judge him.

Anybody, who wasn't there, who says they know who is telling the truth must have an agenda.  I'm told that under fire, confusion often reigns.  People might be telling the truth as they witnessed events but have very different versions.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 02:20:30 AM »
Quote from: TM7
,alot of folks just  think John Heinz Kerry is just one of the biggest poltical phony hypocrits to come down the pike in a long time!

Dali Llama say he concur with that summation!!!! :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 04:06:25 AM »
Quote from: Mauser
Now we have an Admiral who is not, evidently, part of the swift boat group saying Kerry's first Purple Heart was for a superficial, self-inflicted wound for which he put himself up.  No doubt this guy's character is about to be assassinated.

The three guys who WERE there are adamant that this admiral was not. I am inclined to believe them. There is not a shred of documentary evidence that he was, and high ranking officers don't go dinking around in combat in a small boat.

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 04:10:31 AM »
Lefty you do leave out the salient parts don't you? He was not a admiral then,go back and read your source and quote it correctly--for once.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 04:35:12 AM »
Wiz, I never said or even implied that Schachte was an admiral at that time. He did have enough rank to have been in overall command of that mission and ranking officers don't go dinking around in small boats in combat situations.

Two officers to two EM in a small boat in combat?  Give me a break!

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 06:21:48 AM »
Leftover, I know you have some military experience and therefore you must also know that sometimes the military places people in positions of command (or not) that do not correspond naturally with their rank.  I think it was called billets (at least in the USMC).

Apparently, this retired admiral, who was a lieutenant (jg) at the time in question, was credited with creating the type of mission Kerry was on and always was on these "skimmer" missions.  It might be a little unusual but it is hardly surprising that you could have two officers and two enlisted on a small boat mission.  

You and I weren't there so we'll never KNOW.  I do know that Kerry asked us to vote for him in large part because is a hero (very much self-described) and because of that he more qualified to be commander-in-chief than Bush.  Those are his words, not mine, and he invited this scrutiny of his record.  If anyone thinks that "heroes" can't also be liars or cheats, even during their service, I've got a bridge to sell them.

You might retort that no one should have their service slandered and I would agree with one caveat: If you are using that service as the main qualification for something so incredibly huge and important as the Presidency YOU have opened a can of worms and YOU have to expect that your 'mates might react like this.  I liken it to the legal exceptions we make for discussing the actions of "people in the public eye."  While you still can't obviously lie, one's interpretations are given much more latitude.  What we have in the present case is no more than a Mexican Standoff.

I'd be willing to drop all of this if Kerry would just get up and tell us to forget that he is a Vietnam vet, that it is mostly irrelevant anyway, and to have us focus on his career as a Senator LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG.  Why is Kerry always trying to avoid that subject?

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 06:30:34 AM »
I'd be willing to drop all of this if Kerry would just get up and tell us to forget that he is a Vietnam vet, that it is mostly irrelevant anyway, and to have us focus on his career as a Senator LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING ALL ALONG.  Why is Kerry always trying to avoid that subject?
Dali Llama opine that it be because Kerry know that his voting record in Senate show how liberal he be. :twisted:  :x  :evil:

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 09:23:27 AM »
This swift boat thing makes me feel bad for the Vietnam vets out there who would have preferred to not be reminded in this way about the controversy about the war and their service.  

How in the world do we evaluate this stuff that happened 36 years ago when none of us where there?  Now we have an Admiral who is not, evidently, part of the swift boat group saying Kerry's first Purple Heart was for a superficial, self-inflicted wound for which he put himself up.  No doubt this guy's character is about to be assassinated.

I lay the blame for this squarely on John Kerry who brought the whole thing up for the sole purpose of gaining advantage. I was fully prepared, as I believe many people were, to judge him solely on his senate record-easily the most relevant thing on which to judge him.

Anybody, who wasn't there, who says they know who is telling the truth must have an agenda.  I'm told that under fire, confusion often reigns.  People might be telling the truth as they witnessed events but have very different versions.

I think Kerry brought up Vietnam in the hopes that we would somehow overlook his voting record.   And I hate to say it but I think it is working.   We are so wrapped around the axle over his war record and if he is hero or traitor that we are all forgetting that since 1988 Kerry has voted against every military appropriation bill there has been.   There are no gun bills during that time that he doesn’t like.   And he even thinks our national security system needs to be redone but he is on the security commission and doesn’t even show up most of the time. If he really thinks the national security system needs fixing why doesn’t he show up and try to fix it?

So, bicker all you want about his “War Record” and forget that he has one of the worst voting records in the Senate when it comes to matters that are important to defending our homeland’s both from the outside and the inside.

Remember, in a battle the best hope to succeed in a mission is to have a good diversion and the Kerry camp has one and is playing us all for fools.

Go by his voting record now and not by what happened over 30 years ago.   PLEASE!!!!!!!
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2004, 01:20:19 PM »
Quote from: Major
Go by his voting record now and not by what happened over 30 years ago.   PLEASE!!!!!!!
Amen, say Dali Llama!!! :grin:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 08:28:01 PM »
I would tend to take the word of 250+ men over the word of one individual. Expeccially one who backs a liar like Kerry. Birds of a feather ect  :lol:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.