Author Topic: time once again to think about bows&arrows and guns  (Read 673 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
time once again to think about bows&arrows and guns
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:11:48 AM »
the time is coming once again for us to think about bows and guns.in less than 3 weeks i will be heading off to North Dakota on a mule deer hunt with my son.we are going to hunt the south western corner of the state neer Montana.big mule deer there and it will be fun hunting them with the bow&arrow.some antalope there too.going to take my nef 223 for some prairre dogs and yotes too.cannt wait.

its been a long time since i posted here,i just got a computer working again.lots of new names here too.glad to see there are some new nef shooters out there

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
time once again to think about bows&arr
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 02:34:01 PM »
Glad to hear from you. I hope you both score a great hunt. What is your Bow set-up? I currently shoot a 76lb York. I'm using this bow because I got it for 30 bucks from a hard luck hunter, and my son took over my PSE LD-280. I haven't shot at a deer with archery equipment for three years, as I'm getting more selective in my older years. My son will try to arrow any deer that gives him a chance. ( I use to be the same way)

Good luck,
                                                     Vance
no x now!

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 04:14:27 PM »
Hey Jeff, good to hear from you again.

I just got a BRAND SPANKIN' NEW AR34 from Archery Research.  Man this is a nice bow.  Smooth, no vibration or shock, and fast.  I can't wait til October 1st to try it out.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline JohnDY

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 09:49:42 PM »
I started bow hunting last year with a hand-me-down Bear bow that was given to me by a friend. I learned a lot but never got a shot at a deer. I had a few come in on me but never close enough for a shot I felt comfortable with.

A few weeks ago I got a deal on Hoyt Magnatec I just couldn't pass up. It shoots a lot better than I do. I've been out almost every night practicing. I can't wait. I've got a few new places to hunt. Maybe this year I will connect with one.

Good luck everyone.
JohnDY

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 03:50:16 AM »
I had both my Step-sons out last nite(9yrs) & (13yrs)...both had never shot a bow before....had them using my Daughters Hoyt K-Bow and a very old Herters Custom recurve...Had a blast showing them how to shoot instinctively...they both did great at 15 yards...with the youngest(9yrs) doing exceptionally great.They are both naturals with a bow.. so it looks like I'll be hunting down some equipment for them..and shouldn't be too long for I take them afield with me hunting....it was one of those "Special Momements" we all think about...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 11:55:40 AM »
its good to hear from all of you too.i now shoot a pro 38 Bow Tech at 70lbs

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 02:49:00 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
its good to hear from all of you too.i now shoot a pro 38 Bow Tech at 70lbs

jeff223,

just coincidentally, my favorite bow, that i shoot 9 mos' out of the year, says .223 on it, near where it says New England Firearms.  

Not advocating any illegality; I just like that bow! :grin:

take care.

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline borg1

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 02:31:16 AM »
I shoot a little PSE NOVA One-cam at 63 lbs.  Its not the highest end bow out there, but it fits me well and i shoot it well.

I shoot 29" Easton A/C/C's tipped with 100gr Rocket sidewinders.

I've been fortunate enough to kill three 120 class whitetails in the last 3 years.  Still waiting on the illusive scorer buck so i can justify to my wife getting a full shoulder mount of the beast!   :grin:

Offline TomD

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 06:34:54 AM »
Archery Deer season opens here in CT in 22 days (9/15)!! I've been in the back yard with my Hoyt Magnatech for many weeks now doing whatever I can to make my 1st bow season a success. I'll be the only hunter on over 200 acres of prime hunting land.

The Farm that I hunt is overrun with Deer and they are causing a great deal of damage. The land owner wants me to fill my tags (2 either sex & 2 antlerless).  I have a new stand site that I've setup at the intersection of several trails and I have my choice of 4 other stands that we use during rifle season, just to mix it up properly. I also purchased a folding ground blind that I intend to setup a few days before the season starts just outside several fruit trees.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:42:52 AM »
Well, I'm getting ready.  My 22 mag sportster is ready for the small game season opener here Sept 1 (still have to get the 22lr sportster sighted in...).  I need to verify the scope setting on my ultra slug 20 while it's still warm.  And thinking of deer I have one deer stand to move and another to put up, I need to be getting that done very soon.

Also, my birthday is in January so my wife, apon my request, is getting me my first bow for Christmas and my birthday.  I have already purchased the bow, left hand PSE Nova L3 lightning cam, and am in the process of decking it out, buying arrows, targets, etc.  I can't shoot it until my birthday so it'll be next fall before I draw back on a deer with it.  But I'll have fun next spring building a 3d archery course on my place, complete with targets shot from a ladder stand.  Gotta make it as real as I can!  :wink:   It's should be fun, I can't wait until January so I can shoot it!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »
I've got to pull a few irons out of the fire to make room for casting again.  I've yet to try that C358-180-RF custom mold that a few of us bought earlier this spring for the 357 Max.  I need to get on that if I plan on hunting with it this year.  Also need to drag out the old 54cal smoke pole and put a few of those 212gr RBs downrange.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...