Author Topic: Brady blasts Keyes' stand on gun control  (Read 541 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
Brady blasts Keyes' stand on gun control
« on: August 27, 2004, 02:59:09 AM »

August 26, 2004

BY SCOTT FORNEK Political Reporter

Disabled gun control activist Jim Brady weighed in Wednesday on Republican U.S. Senate nominee Alan Keyes' declaration that the U.S. Constitution grants private citizens the right to own and carry machine guns, calling the remarks an "insane" call for a return to "the Al Capone days."

"He must have fallen on his head," Brady said of Keyes. "I was dumbfounded."

Brady, 63, former press secretary to President Ronald Reagan, was partially paralyzed in a 1981 assassination attempt. Brady, a native of Downstate Centralia, lives in Delaware, but sometimes makes endorsements in Illinois races.

Brady said if he lived in Illinois, he would vote for Democrat Barack Obama in the race.

"You don't hear Obama coming up with stuff like this," Brady told the Chicago Sun-Times. "I think he'll be Illinois' choice because we don't take kindly to going back to the Al Capone days."

A Keyes campaign official fired back that Brady is "sadly mistaken" because Obama's voting record in Springfield makes him "The Criminal's Best Friend."

Keyes, a former presidential candidate from Maryland, said Tuesday he supports a system in which people undergo different levels of training before they would be allowed to own and carry various sorts of weapons. Keyes said the Second Amendment grants properly trained Americans the right to "the kind of weapons our ordinary infantry people have access to," including machine guns.

Brady said he has never heard anything like Keyes' views in the years he and his wife, Sarah, have been active in supporting gun control measures. "He's not appropriate for Illinois," Brady said.

Brady said he still considers himself a Republican, except "when I hear s--- like this."

Keyes' campaign responds

Bill Pascoe, Keyes' campaign manager, responded that Obama's votes as a state senator from Hyde Park have earned him the title "The Criminal's Best Friend."

Pascoe said Obama supported a bill to require police to knock before executing search warrants; helped kill a measure to allow some battered spouses to carry concealed weapons; opposed tougher penalties on some gang crimes, and voted against a bill that would have banned early release for convicted sexual abusers.

"It is Barack Obama and his record -- not law-abiding citizens exercising their constitutional rights -- that is the real danger to public safety in Illinois," he said.

Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs defended the Democrat's record, saying it helped him win the endorsement of the Illinois Fraternal Order of Police.

"I think that speaks more eloquently than anybody in terms of who is on the side of protecting Illinois' families and communities," Gibbs said.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Re: Brady blasts Keyes' stand on gun control
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 10:54:58 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama

August 26, 2004

Snip...

Bill Pascoe, Keyes' campaign manager, responded that Obama's votes as a state senator from Hyde Park have earned him the title "The Criminal's Best Friend."

Snip....

I have known a few "People" with "questionably occupations" that say they are happy to donate lots of money to any "Anti-gun" group because for them it is a sound business investment.   A life insurance policy of sorts.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Brady blasts Keyes' stand on gun control
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 01:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Major
Quote from: Dali Llama

August 26, 2004

Snip...

Snip....

I have known a few "People" with "questionably occupations" that say they are happy to donate lots of money to any "Anti-gun" group because for them it is a sound business investment.   A life insurance policy of sorts.
Dali Llama say he not aware Major run in such circles? :?

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 01:53:43 PM »
Dali,

With years of contact with various Law Enforcement agencies while working with and for them, one can not help but run across the “other” elements as well.   While I do not run in such circles but I am also not afraid to talk to them when our paths do cross.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline powderman

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 03:55:38 PM »
MAJOR. The rest of us knew what you meant. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 01:41:07 AM »
It's just another Demoncrap who when faced with the truth, trys to discredit the messenger. This is a common Demoncrap response, although I find it strange for Jim Brady to suggest that Alan Keys is brain damaged. One would think he of all people would be more sensitive to such suggestions. Brady's disabilty seens to be confined to motor and speech problems. While I do question the sanity of any ultra liberal/communists like the brady's have becoue. I don't believe John Hinkley can be blamed for that.
Dave375HH

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 04:49:56 AM »
Quote from: powderman
MAJOR. The rest of us knew what you meant.
:roll:  :roll: Dali Llama say he impressed that powderman be clairvoyant. :roll:  :roll:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 05:10:53 AM »
Quote from: Major
Dali,

With years of contact with various Law Enforcement agencies while working with and for them, one can not help but run across the “other” elements as well.   While I do not run in such circles but I am also not afraid to talk to them when our paths do cross.
:-) Dali Llama say he appreciate clarification provided by Major. :-)