Author Topic: Tracker II Barrel  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Tracker II Barrel
« on: March 18, 2004, 10:31:07 PM »
I am seriously considering ordering a 12 ga. Tracker II rifled barrel for my Pardner shotgun, and was wondering what type of accuracy you folks were getting from your guns.    I have a bunch of 1-3/8 oz. 3" Brenneke slug loads that I already shot from my Winchester 1300 rifled barrel.  Anyone shoot this ammo from there Tracker II?  Thanks for the input.  :D
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 03:19:28 AM »
The Tracker II barrel is, in my experience, extremely accurate. I believe I saw a post recently saying the NEF slug barrels were the most accurate tested by the NRA.  They were testing the heavier barrel but I think it would also apply to this barrel also.  I handload lyman 535 gr slugs in 3" hulls and get one ragged hole at 60 yds with mine.  Recoil will be more of a problem than accuracy however so you may want to consider adding weight to the forend and/or butt, I think you get better results from weighting the forend, others may not  think so.  The Brennekes should shoot very well in this barrel also but I haven't tried them so can't say for sure.  Bottom line it's well worth the money and wait.
Best.

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 04:13:20 AM »
I have made all 3 holes touch at 100 yards a couple of times with my Ultra slug hunter using Lightfield 2 3/4 sabots. I did a lot of reading and did not see any real advantage to going to 3" shells. The recoil on my ultra is not bad but with the heave barrel and Laminated stock I would expect it to be better. It is a heavy gun.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline Xplorer

Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:33:57 AM »
I have a 12GA Tracker II rifled barrel, as well as a 20GA Ultra-slug hunter.  My personal preference is the 20GA Ultra, and I have found it to be more accurate.  The Tracker II is a bit light (especially for 3" shells as it kicks like hell, and this is with weight added to both the stock & forend), and comes with rifle sights which aren't very good.  Perhaps if I was able to have it drilled & tapped for a scope (here in WMass, I could not find a smith who would do it), I might get the accuracy I was looking for.  The Ultra is heavier, comes with a scope rail, and is extremely accurate ... also it is all you need for deer sized game anyway.  If you have a SB1, you can only get the 20GA ultra barrel for your receiver.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Ganjiro

• Teppo Baka
  • Avid Poster
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 09:04:02 PM »
You guys have twisted my arm, okay i'll go get one... :wink:   Thanks for the replies!
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline VarmintController

• Avid Poster
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2004, 02:04:42 AM »
now think agout this, my son has a 20ga tracker2 with a williams peep on the rear, and it just kicks butt. its plenty for deer at 100 yrds, and the recoil is not bad at all. IE: my son and wife use it, and dont complain about the recoil. i liked it so well i went out and got the 12ga tracker2 for myself. i liked it, but i sold it off, ALOT more recoil, and the same range, yes i know thw 12ga hits harder, but a winchester part. gold sabot will knock down any old deer, and saves the shoulder. i just dont want you to count out the 20ga, cause its a great 100 yrd deer gun.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 11:50:22 AM »
I agree with VC I have a 12 ga tracker and it a great deer gun but shooting the remington buck hammers can get your attention real quick.  As soon as I get home from my little vacation in the desert Uncle has sent me on. I'm going to send my topper in to have a 20 ga tracker barrel installed.  And I see where remington has just released a 20 ga buck hammer .  If you folks haven't shot these all lead sabots you have to try them.....Talk about knock down power.  The only down side I have found is that they foul your rifling allot more then standard sabots do.

By the way to all my friends out there I have been deployed to northern Iraq.   But things are going as good as can be over here.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 12:13:50 PM »
Dave, come back safe and come back quick....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Big Burtha

Re: Tracker II Barrel
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 05:51:02 AM »
I know its been some time to reply to this post, but I was using the SEARCH to look up the TRACKER II 20 GAUGE RIFLED SLUG BARREL to find out just how accurate they are. I want to send in my 20 gauge SB1 and have H&R install that barrel. I intend on using the Remington Copper Solid Hollow Point Sabots 2 3/4 inch Magnums. Could some one please let me know if it is better than using my 12 gauge Mossberg bolt action , using "00" buck, 2 3/4 inch. PS. Dave , I hope you are back home now & safe . Dan in NJ.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »
 Big Burtha    

Yes I'm home safe and sound.  I now hold the rank of PFC(Proud (censored word) Cilivian).  As far as the 12 ga tracker II barrel.  Yeah it will knock you around at the range but can anyone remember the recoil of a gun while shooting at a Deer ????  I can't.  I have both the 12 ga traker and the 20 ga tracker drilled and tapped for a scope.  I use the 12 ga while hunting the thick bush down in the valleys and use the 20 ga for more open country.

Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Big Burtha

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 06:51:33 AM »
Glad your back in the USA. Could you tell me how accurate your Tracker ll 20 ga. is at ,say about 80 yards out ? I am still waiting for NEF to send my 20 ga. back to me. I ordered the Tracker ll Slug Gun Barrel and will be using Remington Copper Solid Hollow Point 2 3/4" in it. The H&R people told me they are using the Remingtons to proof test the guns. I realy hope I made the right choise in sending in my new Pardner 20 ga that I never fired and sent it right in for the barrel change for the Tracker ll Barrel. What do you think ? Will I be glad I did what I did , or should I have just stuck with my old 12 ga. Mossberg Bolt action using 2 3/4 "00" buck shot ? I am on a limited buget like most of us on this site , but , I am a simple guy that likes to keep things that way. Thanks for your help Dave with any info or imput you can give me as well as a Big THANK YOU for your service to our country. I am also a vet, but from back in Nam. Dan in NJ.