Author Topic: Lyman .358/250 gr mold wanted...  (Read 903 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Lyman .358/250 gr mold wanted...
« on: August 29, 2004, 10:50:08 AM »
I know this isn't the classifieds, but I figured this would be the most appropriate place to ask about this mold.  If anyone has one to sell, I would appreciate it.  Or if you might know where I can get a good deal on one.  Thanks Robert
....make it count

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 02:01:58 AM »
My advice is to not bother with trying to find one. They are terribly rare, and hard to find. But SAECO has one in the same weight range, and Mountain Moulds will make you one to your dimensions, exactly like the Lyman if you want for less money than the originals go for. Both options are easily available and work great unless you just want a Lyman for your mould collection.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline fffffg

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 05:58:53 PM »
i wouldnd buy one until i tried them.. the length may not stabilize, the velocity may not be right for your sights to come in, and other problems.. you can try a box for a very reasonable price from beartooth bullets in idaho. plug it in your search engin and they should pop up and call marshal... hes a great helpfull guy.. im not telling you not to get a mold, im saying its worth finding out if your gun will work with that bullet.. .  i bought a box of 200 and 250s for my drilling and the 200 just barely worked out with out tumbling the 25os were way too long..  if they work great you can have a mould made to match.. and youll be miles ahead of a useless  custom mold..  good luck dave.
montana!, home of the wolf,  deer,mtn goats,sheep, mountain lions, elk, moose and griz...

Offline Robert

Thanks guys....I know they are out there....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 07:54:25 PM »
...in fact...I might have a line on one....still waiting. I shot some 280 Lymans this weekend.  They were a pain in the *** to load properly...but they all seemed to hit nose first and punch perfect holes...no key-holes.  I just think my rifle needs a slightly shorter bullet to chamber.
....make it count

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Thanks guys....I know they are out there....
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 01:28:19 PM »
Quote from: Robert
...in fact...I might have a line on one....still waiting...

If you revert to the 280gr let me have a shot at the 250 gr mould.  I've got a Rem 700 with 1:16 twist and the 280 gr is just too heavy/long.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Robert

The 250 fell through
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 06:16:25 AM »
He's gonna send me some sample bullets to try...but I am still looking for a mold.  Wisperer..that is the same reason I am looking for a 250.  The 280's are too long for my throat and I don't want to open it up any more.
....make it count