Author Topic: Fat boys and carry guns  (Read 1370 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fat boys and carry guns
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:31:21 AM »
In my 20's I was slender enough to hide a full-sized gun in my waistband without a problem.  However, that was 20+ years ago, and my equator has expanded exponentially, especially since I'm now stuck behind a desk most of the time.  I have smaller guns now, but I still have a hard time concealing much as it tends to protrude with the curve of my um, pear shaped core.

Is there a simple way for round guys like me to conceal better?  What kind of leather, rig, or belly band works for you folks?  My standard everyday gun is a 3" M-65, but sometimes I have to resort to a Bersa 380.  I see ads everyday for concealment gear, what really works?

PJ the Pistol Packing Pear
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 03:16:01 PM »
Being a portly gentleman myself, I know from whence you speak. Many people will disagree with me for several legitimate reasons, but I have found that a MOB in the pants holster works for me when the uniform of the day allows. I am right handed but I usa a left handed holster that places my weapon with the but to the right, and slightly leaning to the right. This gives me a palm out, knuckles to my back draw which is most comfortable for me. If you want to try this you can do it with a $14 uncle Mikes before you sink real bucks in higher quality gear. If it doesn't work for you you haven't busted the bank. :D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 01:26:37 PM »
Having aquired a considerable mass in the vicinity of my belt area, I haven't found any reason to change my carry style at all. I carry ITW on the left side, but forward, in a John Bionacia(SP?) model 100 leather holster. I am right handed and this gives me the option of either left or right draw with either hand. Al my beltline grows, the carry just gets easer to hide. Also readily available from the setting position in a car or chair.

Best of Luck in you decision,

Greeenriver(This works for me with a small auto or a large SA in 45 lc.)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 05:43:55 PM »
I have gotten older (and wider) and have tried many holsters that did not perform up to expectations.  As I have discovered a few years ago though, it is not usually the holster.  I use an IWB holster and found that most get pushed outward by my belly.  The solution was an Agent belt from Aker.  This belt has a plastic stiffener inside it and WILL not twist and allow the holster to tip out.  This has cured my problems with concealment.  I wear a 3" Charter 44 everyday in a Blade-tec with this belt and no one knows.  (except my family and you)  You should be able to carry the M65 3" just as easily.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline RadioTech

Having the same problem...
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 05:09:50 AM »
I carry using a Galco JakSlide holster.  It threads on behind the belt and outside the pant.  Since the belt is on the outside it presses the grip into the side instead of letting the gun tip outward.  You need a fairly stiff belt to hold this over a long period of time.  I made mine from belt blanks from Tandy Leather Co.  I usually carry a 1911, either small or full size, both fit this holster.  The 3" doesn't extend below the belt.
Deactivated at member's request.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 05:41:08 AM »
A small hammerless 38 special fits in my front pocket nicely. Just don't carry your car keys in that pocket.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 11:45:20 AM »
You might try a belt holster placed behind your strong-side hip. Use a high-quality holster belt, probably a 1 1/2 inch, with a holster with slots cut to match. Pancake holsters are uncomfortable. I like the tunnel loop/slot combination such as the Milt Sparks PMK or 55 BN rigs.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Oldoperator

Fat boys and carry guns
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 08:38:42 PM »
Kramer pocket holster with a S&W 642 work well for me in summer, and a MOB custom rig and a S&W mod. 3953 in the cooler weather where a 3/4 length vest or jacket can cover the bulge. I'm 6'1" and weigh 300 lbs.
NRA Life Member since 1971.