Author Topic: new gun 45/70 or .30/06?  (Read 935 times)

Offline Bob W.

• Trade Count: (0)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:19:49 PM »
I've noticed many handi rifle users seem to like the 45-70.  I am contemplating getting a handi rifle ( now have sportster .22, and a sidekick ) and am wondering why a 45-70 versus say a .30/06?  The '06 shoots flatter and farther than the 45-70 and what would I as an average american hunter, hunt that the .30/06 won't handle?  thanks for your opinions.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:33:01 PM »
hi bob -

both calibers are fun to shoot. the 30-06 has a wide range of cast and jacketed bullets available, probably the best selection out of any caliber. i have both caliber barrels for one receiver, the 45-70 is a fun with 420gr and lighter cast bullets, i use straight wheel weights sized as cast, they shoot great. i really havent shot very many jacketed bullets in it but i'm sure you get info on that from a bunch of guys here.

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 04:15:29 PM »
Bob,
I'd say it has more to do with your hunting style and where you hunt.  Flat shooting don't maen beans inside 150yds but it becomes an issue at 200-300yds.

It all depends. :-)
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline hvacman

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 04:19:41 PM »
As a hunter who has hunted rifle season for 20 years with a 270 Win. I am looking forward to hunting with my 45/70 Handi this year. Many times I worked up loads all summer to shoot tight groups at 200 yds. and shot a deer under 100. The last time. I had a load that averaged 2 in. at 200 yds. and shot my deer at 22 yds. Where I hunt I don't get many long shots so the 45/70 is perfect.Plus the Handi is fun to shoot and the 45/70 is fun to shoot. This year I'll be using Remington 300 gr. jacketed bullets and don't feel i'll have any problems. If I only had one rifle then I'd go with the 270, 280 or 06. If you want more fun from your shooting try the 45/70. I can't explain why it's a blast to shoot but it is.
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 06:58:58 PM »
If the lure of the deep woods...cut overs..thick choke bushes and vines..steep gullys,creek and river bottoms...not to mention virtually inpenterable tangles,blowdowns,and swamps are the places you love to hunt...then the 45-70 fits right in ...usually the distances are quite close and with that big ole bullet it  will cut a big ole hole thru and thru whatever it hits..and will leave a blood trail that is pretty easy to follow.........now the 06' has taken more than it's fair share of just about every critter that populates the planet ...so nothing is really wrong with that choice either...I guess it all depends on which one you like the best and want to shoot......first.....then send it in and get the other barrel for it...... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 06:24:00 AM »
I had the same thoughts about 8 months ago. I thought that the 06 would be better. At the last minute, I wanted the 45-70 in case I get the chance to bear or boar hunt. I know the 06 would put them down, But I 'm not a spring chicken either. When I drop the hammer on anything I want it to drop right there, and I'm not into shooting long distances. I want thing to drop like Muhammed Ali dropped Sonny Liston years ago :)  :lol:  :D  :D
                                                                   Tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 07:38:52 AM »
I was recently in that same set of shoes.  I was getting another barrel for my encore and was planning on a do it all barrel, the 30-06.  At the last minute I  got the 45/70 barrel.  I mainly wanted this barrel for a boat gun in case I saw a moose while salmon fishing.   The 30-06 is going to be a lot more versitile than the 45/70 but there is just something about that big old bullet that catches your attention.  Cant go wrong either way.  Good luck.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 08:48:39 AM »
My NEF was in .30-06, and it was the nicest rifle in that caliber I've ever shot.  The barrel is fairly heavy and has enough inertia to keep recoil down considerably.  I put the shotgun stock on mine, and had the local gunsmith put a front sight ramp on, then set it up with a blade front, Williams WGRS rear sight.  It was a sweet shooting little rifle.  Don't know why I sold it.  Now I need to get another one...
-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline MGMorden

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »
Either one will take game no problem.  If getting in a Handi then the .45-70's rimmed case will offer a little more positive ejection.  .30-06 will offer longer ranges, and won't recoil as much.  I this will be your only centerfire rifle then the .30-06 would be my choice.  It's just generally more versatile, especially if you handload.  .308" has probably the widest bullet selection available, and with proper loading you can take game from moose (larger 200+grn bullets) to varmints (130gr and less bullets).  Ugh.  That almost sounds like something Mortie would say  :?.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:06:50 AM »
"Ugh" and "Mortie" in the same sentence, that's poetic justice!!!....<><.... :-D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline safetysheriff

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:12:47 PM »
You haven't said what you will hunt, or how you will hunt it over the next couple of years....            Those two considerations would determine my choice.        For my money, start with the more versatile firearm, and then get the one that is more specialized later.    That means the '06 comes first, in my opinion, for medium to large/very large game across all of the lower 48 states.    It will do for some varmint hunting but would not be my first choice.    

The ammo' for the '06 will be more abundant/available, and will generally be less expensive.    It will involve everything from .22 caliber saboted bullets in the Accelerator ammo, to Armor-Piercing bullets that really would make a bear ____ in the woods!    The development of projectiles in the .308 caliber as used in the '06 is extremely refined.  

It's hard to go wrong with an '06.
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Bob W.

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 12:51:17 PM »
sorry I forgot this info about me.  I'm a deer hunter in the woods of Michigan (never shot a deer with a gun over 65 yards) ofcourse I would like some day to hunt other species but $ gets in the way sometimes.  I do not reload.  I can totaly understand the because its fun or different reason for choosing a new gun (forgot, I also have a .300 savage and a .270 browning - yes I know it's all I need) I'm kind of wondering if the big 45 drops them any quicker.  thanks for the info so far it interesting to hear your opinions.

Offline BnSC

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 01:20:47 PM »
I would definitely go for the 'ole 45 at those ranges.  The performance of 45-70 will astound you a those ranges.  I shoot the thick swamps and pine thickets of South Carolina and I want 'em to drop in their tracks. Using factory loads, you will not notice much difference in perceived recoil of that of the 30-06.  Since you already have a couple of medium bores, go for the big boy!!

Offline MGMorden

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 02:24:25 PM »
Quote from: BnSC
  I shoot the thick swamps and pine thickets of South Carolina and I want 'em to drop in their tracks.

You hunting low-country or upstate?  At my stationary stand (SC lowcountry, Berkeley county), which is smack in the middle of one of those swamps :), my visible shooting area is only 45 to 50 yards.  I still usually carry my .30-06, though I've taken to using 180grn bullets at that range.  I've also got a 6.5x55 that I've taken out a few times, though I've not killed anything with it yet.  Truth be told though, I'd probably be just fine with a good ol' .30-30 at these ranges :lol:.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 02:30:46 PM »
I agree with BnSC. You already have a .300 Savage and a .270. There are no degrees of dead but a 45-70 sure drops them fast. A .45/70 is ideal for the conditions you hunt in, sounds very similar to the areas of Maine where I now do most of my deer hunting. We have to remember that a dead deer is a dead deer. That said, you have a couple of medium bores already, I say try the .45/70, you'll love it!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 03:02:10 PM »
just from reading your post. it sounds to me like you already got your mind made up.
if you dont reload i would go with the 06 for the simple fact that most of the ammo that you are lucky enough to find on the shelves for the 45-70 is so weak it doesnt do the caliber or gun justice.
now with that said, i shot my buffalo classic this past saturday using 405 and 500 grain bullets. with the 405jsp load that i use i shot a 4 inch group at 500 yards using the factory front sight and a tang rear.
using the big 500 grainer i shot a boulder abt the size of a truck wheel at 125 yards and busted it into three big pieces. last year i shot a fat old doe with it and it slammed her. with the right loads and someone who knows the gun i dont think the 06 has that much of an advantage over the 45-70

Offline BnSC

new gun 45/70 or .30/06?
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 01:50:13 AM »
I hunt in Darlington County and Williamsburg counties w/ a few visits to Orangeburg county every year.  I shoot several different calibers for deer depending on the situation.  My all purpose guns are .30-06 and .303 British.  For field hunting and firebreaks, I'll use my 22-250.  For brush, I'll pick up my SKS, or Mosin Nagant,  or the NEF 45-70.  

I have to disagree about the fatory loads.  While they are purposely at the low end of the loading possibilities, that amount of power is more than sufficient to drop whitetails.  Especially inside of 75 yds like this guy is hunting. Most of my shots are inside of 50 yds. I used to use level 2 handloads until I ran out one time and had to revert to the factory loads. I saw no noticeable difference in stopping power at these ranges.  The bullets still went all the way through, opened an awesome wound channel, and didn't knock me senseless in the process.....

Now, w/ saying that.. If he is wanting to shoot longer distances w/ this rifle, he would probably want to get more potent loads to retain the velocity, but not at 75 yds......

Several manufactures do make ammo now only for the new 45-70's.  They will have disclaimers all over them and some even designate the round 45-70 +P