Author Topic: Thank you MSP and Ed Gagnon  (Read 608 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Thank you MSP and Ed Gagnon
« on: October 07, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »
Well,

I just got my 2 12ga barrels back from Ed Gagnon. I sent him a 12ga turkey and a 12ga Tracker II. He put scope mounts on both and lengthened the forcing cone on the turkey.

The mounts look very good and secure. He used oversized screws and machined the tapped holes flat at the bottom for maximum holding power in a short hole. He also used some epoxy for extra strength.

It has been only less than 2 weeks since I put the barrels in the mail and I have them back already, and I am in the Michigan and he's in Massachusets! That is great service.

Anyone looking to get this type of work done, I highly recommend Ed. Thank you very much MSP Ret for referring me to him.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 10:32:26 AM »
Excellent...Good to hear that quality work is still being done out there...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 01:46:53 PM »
That is great service. I think he might get a little bussiness from me. I don't really know much about any of the local guys. Both of the smiths that did some work for me years back are dead now. Natural causes not blown up guns
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »
Thanks HuntenNut, and your right, Ed is a great christian guy and a quality gunsmith. I know many here have had trouble finding a gunsmith both competent and willing to do the critical work required to fit scope rails to H&R shotgun barrels, especially the 12 gauge barrels. Ed is the man for those that need the work done, and his cost is reasonable also. It's rare when all those attributes come together.
I have been real busy all summer but now that the throngs of tourists are mainly gone from this sand spit they call Cape Cod I have to visit him again. I'll bring a couple of cups of Dunkin Donut coffee and we will sit and talk while he works.
 I guess it's time to get the 19" .280 barrel (Thanks like2hunt) re crowned and perhaps the forcing cone of the 12 gauge shotgun barrel lengthened. I always did want my 20 gauge H&R Barrel threaded for adjustable chokes tubes also but lately I have been hankering for a single barrelled 16 with screw in chokes. Talk about a classic with all the amenities, a 16 gauge single with a walnut stock and ventilated rib but with screw in chokes!!!, be still my heart. Now if H&R would come out with a Topper Deluxe Classic in 16 and I could have Ed retrofit it for screw in choke tubes I would have all the guns I would ever need.....  :roll: .....    Yea right....<><....  :)

As an aside, I recall some one here posting about the possibility of getting a gunsmith familiar with these H&R's who would be willing to do the work we all look for, scope rails on shotguns, lengthened forcing cones, relieving chokes, back boring,  adding screw in choke tubes to shotguns, recrowning barrels and custom chambering barrels for those of us who do not feel confident enough to ream them ourselves with group reamers.
When the idea was floated I thought of Ed right away but did not suggest him because he is primarily a custom gunsmith and does not usually do volumne work. HuntenNut and at least one other here took the inititative and contacted Ed and had him do work for them. I want all here to know I recommend Ed highly and know you be happy with any work you have done by him....Perhaps he can become our forum gunsmith....believe me you could not do any better, the man is skilled, experienced and a perfectionist....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:52:28 PM »
I can definitely say that when I need more work done, I'll be sending it right to Ed.

Even with the postage, his prices were very reasonable and to have them back within in 2 weeks of sending them is just outstanding! As a matter of fact, I don't think he even charged me any return postage.

I had a scope mount drilled and tapped by my local shop earlier this summer on an old Ruger 44 carbine, and it took 2 months. I almost forgot I owned the gun till they finally called and said it was done. And they wouldn't even consider doing these 12ga barrels at all.

Yes, if you need some work done, Ed is the man.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 12:01:10 AM »
Now if H&R would come out with a Topper Deluxe Classic in 16 and I could have Ed retrofit it for screw in choke tubes I would have all the guns I would ever need.....

MSP Ret,  I don't think you will ever be satisfied. You will always be looking for that next gun. It's in your blood!! :grin:

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 01:35:51 AM »
:D , Rogmatt, I have tried to kick the habit but I guess I'm stuck with this wonderful affliction. I have been able to slow it's progress but not to cure it....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 01:44:25 AM »
MSP there is no cure....in fact, I think you're contagious!!!  :)  :roll:
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:01 AM »
Try looking in the mirror lik2hunt, I am sure I caught some of it from you buddy, at least it's advanced stages, .280!!!..Thanks!!! If they decide to put us all in a sanitorium, I sure hope it has at least a 200 yard range and some good hunting nearby!!!....<><.... :-D

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 10:13:48 AM »
Amen to that Brother.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org