Poll

Which one?

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 06, 2004, 06:35:25 AM

Author Topic: Which scope is the best??  (Read 1383 times)

Offline goose7856

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Which scope is the best??
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:35:25 AM »
I have a friend that is getting a brand new gun (Tikka .270WSM), scope,etc.,and he is putting all faith into me to tell him which scope (and gun for that matter) to get: Wow thats alot of responsibility for a friend!!! (But he trusts me, so im going to run with it)

He said he wants a Nikon scope........somewhere between a 4-12 (or 16), or a 3-10(in that range of mag.) .........he also wants at least a 44 mm lens (or bigger)

He has seen my new 4-12x50 Buckmaster and likes it, but i thre a few other options out there mainly concerning Monarchs. His price can go up to $350 ( or maybe a lil more if it is that good of a scope)..........i came up with the 3.3-10x44 AO Monarch for about $325, or (b/c he likes high mag).........a 5.5-16.5x44 for $375.

But me personally for what he will be using the gun for (mainly during the day, and not much towards evening (unless he hasnt yet killed one) I recommended the 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmaster for $239. In my opinion that wold be the best choice for his price range (his parents are buying the gun and he is buying the other stuff).

What do yall think?? I think a Tikka .270WSM (The synthetic model) with a black matte Nikon Buckmaster would pretty darn good, and would shoot well also!!  (the main reason i think he would like the 4.5-14 is the greater magnification, [but not too much])

Another option would be a 4-16x50 Mueller Rifle scope with the Red dot. It costs $199. (I am thinking of getting a CZ Varmint .22lr, and would want to top it off with this scope, THAT WOULD BE ONE TREE RAT KILLIN MACHINE!!  ) What do yall thnik about the Mueller scope??

Thanx ahead of time, and sry it is soooooooo long!!
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 07:13:27 AM »
I responded to this same question in another forum but maybe someone will agree or disagree with me to help persuade you one way or the other. :grin: It is hard to find buddies that will place that much trust into you...don't ever break that trust.

I say None of the scopes you listed for Big Game...They all have adjustable objectives....Unnecessary weight and just something else to distract the shooter away from the kill zone. Just my opinion.

40mm objectives will transmit all the light the human eye can actually take "full" advantage of. Plus those bigger objectives can snag branches in the thick stuff easier.

High zoom levels hurt more than the help for Big Game Hunting...you just watch yourself shake and get nervous from seeing yourself shaking and just begin to shake that much more.(this can be overcome, but...)

The 3x-9x 40mm is more practical than all other options for "most" hunting situations, you will not gain any shooting time with a 50mm scope in the late afternoon or early morning, and your effective big game hunting range will not increase with more magnification. In the end practice is the key.

The best scope for the money and for his rifle and hunting situations in my opinion is the 3x-9x 40mm Nikon Monarch.

Stay Safe. Happy Hunting/Shooting.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 03:36:04 PM »
FWIW, the Mueller Sport Dot is $149 of $179 w/sunshade depending on what part of the web site you're viewing at http://www.eabco.com/Muellerreddot.htm

Here's Graybeard's review of the Mueller. It's probably the best buy of the bunch you have selected, and would be my choice for the money, but I'm biased as I have one. :grin:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=31638
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 04:49:41 PM »
Thanx I think i will be getting the 4-16x50 for a new .22 i "should" be getting for my b-dy..........+ it doesnt burn a hole in your pocket (i think the glass dot is perfect for varmints, but thats just my opinion.)  

Also, do you think the Meuller can withtand the "kick" from a .270 WSM??

(just makin sure before i recommend it to him tom at school, i dont want him to waste his money, and i know he is going to love the price and what it offers)

Thanx ahead of time

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 04:54:14 PM »
Quote from: goose7856
do you think the Meuller can withtand the "kick" from a .270 WSM??

From what I have read and heard from people, the Mueller can take that and then some. I am actually considering trying the 3x-9x 40mm myself, might even order one tomorrow?????

Stay Safe. Happy Hunting/Shooting  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004, 05:54:55 PM »
Do your friend and your friendship a favor. Convince him that a hunting rifle should wear a scope of no more than 3-9 power with an objective no larger than 40 mm.

Save the huge scopes for target and varmint rifles. Geez, I wish people would quit listening to the magazine writers trying to sell scopes for advertisers. Same for the Outdoor Channel video shows. It don't take magnum rifles and Varmint/target scopes to kill deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 06:58:24 AM »
Amen...
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 07:30:54 AM »
On the scope..agree with gbeard and 7mag...I have 3x9x40 VX-IIs on my .243 and .50 Knight...the .243 will hold groups to 2 1/2 inches at 300 yards...you don't need a ton of magnification to shoot deer...I also use this gun for groundhogs and crows...and I can see to shoot as late as you can safely recognize your target...I have a VX-II 3x9x33 Compact Leupold on my .22..Remington 541...at 50 yards, it groups inside 1/2 inch...In fact, one of my buddies used this scope last year on his Model 7 .260...he shot one deer about 25 minutes after sundown...He was suprised that it gathered enough light to do so...but it did...I personally would lean more toward the Nikon Monarch or Bushnell 3200 or 4200 (if I didn't like Leupolds)...I would say that light gathering is more important to the average deer hunter than magnification....usually 4-6 power is really all thats needed...

PS...Do your friend a favor...talk him into a .270...its more than enough for deer...guess these short mags are ok...but most well made bolt action rifles shoot better than the man behind them....the reason my buddy had to use my 3x9 compact last year...he fell on his gun...knocked his scope off...after trying to sight-in again....and missing a doe at 50 yards...I was finally able to talk him into swapping scopes...after sighting in with my scope, he was out of bullets.....we had to drive 45 miles to find bullets for a .260...lost a half a day of hunting...during the rut!!! This type stuff does happen...if he had been shooting a .243...308...270..30-06...7mm-08 or a 7mmMag...he could have picked up a box at a local gas station...flintlock

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:40:07 AM »
He wnt geta 3-9x40..........i just know it so thats not an option........he seems to really like the 4-16x50 AO mueller that i showed to him at school today......he especially likes the price of $150.  Should be a deer killin machine either way he decides to fall (he likes the idea of less money since he has to spend his own for the scope).

What does everyone think??

Thanx ahead of time!! :D

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2004, 11:53:19 AM »
I would imagine that this will not be his last scope or even his last rifle.  Bigger is not always better, but usually we find that out with experience and a few gray whiskers.  I am sure he will enjoy the scope and you should have great fun target shooting and hunting together.  Ah . . . the exuberance of youth!  I know that throughout my life when I had an itch for something, nothing less would do . . . and I think this is where your buddy is at.  So go at it and enjoy.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 12:07:37 PM »
Yes, Hopefully we will be able to hunt togather this year at some point.........WOW THAT WOULD BE ALOT OF FUN!!

He owns 100 acres, and maybe i can go to his house and try to kill something (maybe a buck since the normal place I hunt at, I have to mount any buck we kill)

I know 100 acres isnt a ton of land, but 50 acres a person ( if we both went out in the woods) is plenty!!

Does anyone know whether the Meuller 4-16x50 is a 1 piece tube??

I like what that scope offers so much I am thinking about trading in my new 4-12x50 buckmaster, and get two of these one for a new .22, and one for my 30-06.  But then again, the Buckmaster is prob. alot better correct??

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 02:04:26 PM »

The Mueller red dot scopes are 2 piece tubes, the non-red dot Muellers are 1 piece tubes.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 07:05:50 PM »
Quote from: flintlock
Do your friend a favor...talk him into a .270...its more than enough for deer...guess these short mags are ok...but most well made bolt action rifles shoot better than the man behind them....the reason my buddy had to use my 3x9 compast last year...he fell on his gun...knocked his scope off...after trying to sight-in again....and missing a doe at 50 yards...I was finally able to talk him into swapping scopes...after sighting in with my scope, he was out of bullets.....we had to drive 45 miles to find bullets for a .260...lost a half a day of hunting...during the rut!!! This type stuff does happen...if he had been shooting a .243...308...270..30-06...7mm-08 or a 7mmMag...he could have picked up a box at a local gas station.

Quote from: Graybeard
Save the huge scopes for target and varmint rifles. Geez, I wish people would quit listening to the magazine writers trying to sell scopes for advertisers. Same for the Outdoor Channel video shows. It don't take magnum rifles and Varmint/target scopes to kill deer.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 12:27:55 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo

The Mueller red dot scopes are 2 piece tubes, the non-red dot Muellers are 1 piece tubes.

Our 3-10x44 Sport Dot (red dot) #MG31044IGR is a one-piece tube, all others are 2 piece. Quickdtoo is correct our non-iluminated scopes are also one-piece tubes

The 4-16x50 will with stand magnum rifles and has been tested by Browning on their 300 A-Bolt. Knight rifles just completed their testing and gave us three thumbs up (better than two thumbs). We are expecting to receive the completed review shortly and will post it on our site. They were so impressed that one of our models may be offered as a combo one of their new Muzzleloader designs.

MO

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 08:47:49 AM »
There is no such thing as the best scope, just like there is no best bar-b-que, or there is no prettiest woman, just depends on your own personal likes and dislikes.  Just my $0.02.
Luke 11:21