Author Topic: Max Point Blank Range.  (Read 673 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Max Point Blank Range.
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »
Past couple of days Ive been foolin with this ballistic calculator I found on the net (actually I think I found it through this site.)  On this site, after you type in all your data and then calculate, it gives you a proper zero range and the Max Point Blank range of that specific load using that proper zero (for instance it may tell you your MPBR is 256 yards for a 245 yard zero on a 130 grain 270 such and such.)  So how many people actually use the MPBR zero?  Most people I know just go with a straight 100 yard zero and be done with it and simply learn how their bullets run before and after 100 yards.  But the more I think about it the more it seems like the MPBR is a better way to set things, especially in non-rangeinding scopes.  To think, a deer anywheres from 5 yards out to say 250 yards, just hold on vitals and pull trigger.  With a 100 yard zeroing this is not a guarentee.
So what are your thoughts on this subject?
Brian M.
P.S. Just for everyones info/enjoyment/usage the site is here:
http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspx
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 03:25:02 PM »
I think you need to practice with the rifle more and use the computer generated stuff for a guideline. Every rifle will shoot different depending on bullet, powder, and primer. Sometimes the difference is unbelievable. A couple leading reasons for a lot of longer range misses and bad hits is due to wind and unseen obstructions.

How does the computer thing know how your specific rifle is going to shoot???

Stay Safe. Happy Shooting.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 07:25:02 PM »
It depends on where I will be hunting.  If I am in an area where my max range will be 100 yds there is no point in having dead on hold out to 250.  I do use it when I anticipate longer shots.   Point blank range is not understood by the average hunter.  But then the "average hunter" has no business at shooting at anything beyond 100 yds.
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 04:03:17 AM »
You definitely need to field check your specific load versus the THEORETICAL data provided by the calculator. The beauty of the calculator is that it tells you what to expect from a specific load, so that if you aren't getting it, you know something is different with your load (ballistic coefficent, velocity, etc.). For instance, one of my pet loads was supposed to shoot 1.5 inches high at 100 and zero at 175 yards. After sighting it in at 1.5" high at 100 yards, I checked zero at 175 and found that it was shooting almost an inch low. Not having a chronograph, I didn't know the exact velocity. Plugging back into the calculator different (lower) velocities and zero distances (around 150 yards or so) until I came up with one that was 1.5" high at 100 and -0.8 inches low at 175. Turned out I was about 125 fps slower than I had thought. Using the correct velocity, I was able to zero at 175 yards by raising my 100 yard sight-in by about half and inch.

I don't use the + or - 3" PBR as it is on the calculator except for long range (+200 yards) situations. The 3" high could result in a poor hit on a whitetail at 100 yards (just under the spine instead of midway of the lungs). I prefer to keep my personal PBR as + and - 2" instead of their 3". Less room for error, and at less than 200 yards I can hold dead-on with confidence. It just means a larger holdover at +200 yards, but I rarely shoot that far, and as long as I know where the holdover should be at a given range, the actual distance of the holdover is academic. I keep a holdover chart for ranges in 50 yard increments out to 400 yards for my load at the appropriate zero taped to my rifle stock while hunting. It doesn't read in inches, but rather in positions, like "midway" for halfway between brisket and back line, "spine" for 3/4 from brisket to backline, "1/4 over" for a point of aim about 4" above the backline, etc.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 11:57:28 AM »
First I want to state that ANY hunting gun, and hunter for that matter should practice regularly.  Second, I really doubt I will ever see much past 150 yards up here, anyways, but the idea was just interesting to me.  But, alas, this is what I was hoping for.  Honest opinions and a good discussion.  To be fair to the calculator they do have advance features.  And I also realize extensive testing is always needed.  I love to shoot my guns (thats what they are there for right?)  So A day at the range is always a positive for me (well almost always  :grin: .)  I cant imagine how these guys with their .XXX WinSuperDuperMag get away with shooting the gun one or two range sessions, then go out and kill deer or other animals at 250+yards  :? .
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 05:39:23 AM »
Couple things guys

1) I didnt' read all of the posts. Its 8:30am and the coffee is blurring my vision

2) When my father and I used to handload a lot back in the early 90's I remember how drastic the effect a different powder had on the load. (All other things the same).  While that program sounds like a helpful thing primer, powder, bullet are key factors in determining accuracy, etc.  

3)New Hampshire, you avatar cracks me up.  My work dsl sucks and when it started moving i thought i was seeing stuff. It looks like those robo deer the dfg or dnr use.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Max Point Blank Range.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:51:16 AM »
Glad I could make yer day lewdogg21  :grin: .  It came from this site, as well as the thrashing deer at the bottom in my sig. line:

http://www.whitetails.com/deer.html

Some neat little animations if your interested.

At least I can say this about the whole subject.  Thanks to the brilliant mind who invented the Chronograph!  Where would we be without them, I dont know.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member