Author Topic: Texas Panhandle Deer Hunting  (Read 556 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Texas Panhandle Deer Hunting
« on: September 13, 2004, 05:52:54 PM »
Hello All:

I hope you can help me. I will be hunting about 30 miles north of childress Texas.......just east of welligton. What size.................kid(mule or whitetail), and in what numbers will i see them. Any help would be appriciated.
thanks

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Texas Panhandle Deer
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 11:09:17 AM »
I think you're probably in a real good area.  I know the area around Wheeler is excellent and you're not far from there, and Childress area is awesome.  The areas around the Red River hold some huge deer.  I wold think you'd see more whitetails than mulies though.  I have hunted up North of Canadian for many years, and we have killed some huge whitetails.  Field dressed whitetails have ranged from 150-218lbs on grain scales (I know 218 sounds crazy, but i did weigh it because it was so big)  We have killed a few mulies but just average sizes and weights.  The whitetails seem to be bigger than the mulies (bodies) up there.  There's also been alot of rain in some portions of the Panhandle

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
thanks for the tip
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 05:37:35 PM »
Thank you for the tip....actually I will be hunting on the sandy sanders wildlife area .just east of wellington.about 5 miles into oklahoma

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 10:42:03 AM »
Our spot butts up next to Oklahoma, just about 3 miles W of Shattuck, Ok.  There are some great bucks in the Panhandle.

Offline busman202002

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:18:52 AM »
My ranch is just about 10 miles south of there, IF you see a Mullie it will be a good one, mature Whitetails will weigh 150-180 dressed but be patient you may see quite a few 1-3 yr olds. work your way to the cedar choked cayons on the west side it will be worth it :shock:

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
Thank you
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 05:05:46 PM »
Thank you Busman.................I appriciate the information .

Offline nealglen37

• Avid Poster
Busman
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »
Busman...........did you mean work my way to the ceder choked canyons on the south of (Sandy Sander).....or the west part of the state in general..........I apologize for my ignorance.............thanks, you have already heled me out a lot

Offline busman202002

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 08:42:07 AM »
I said west side, but really it would be more to the SW side of Sandy Sanders, never drawn in there but the GW in that area is a good friend
and he hunts some private ground on the SW corner of Sandy Sanders and said that seems to be the place he see the most trophy class deer, a little more remote so it does not get hunt much even by quail hunters after deer season.