Author Topic: Cheap lead wire & GC VS. HB  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
Cheap lead wire & GC VS. HB
« on: May 04, 2004, 01:40:27 PM »
HI everyone. got a couple questions. does anybody have a cheap source of pure lead wire, something for a 45-70 in particular? around $22 for 70000 grains seems to be the best I can find so far. Also in regards to leading a barrel, do gas check bullets work better than hollow base, or about the same? any info is greatly appreciated.  God bless! :D

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 06:14:47 PM »
Gallahad, some of us make lead wire, but the cost is really in the shipping. For instance, I would break even on the raw supplies selling it at $3 per 70000 grains, but the buyer would pay one large UPS bill.
  Gas checks work better given all else is the same, but leading can be a result of higher velocity, poor lubrication, an un-polished barrel, to soft a lead just to name a few other causes of leading. 8)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 08:34:37 AM »
In that case, Is there anyone in the Northern Wisconsin erea who makes, or sells pure lead wire and would like to sell me some?  :grin:

Offline Donna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 12:33:36 PM »
Try "Star Ammunition" I get 60 lbs. of lead wire for about $40.00 but my shipping charges dubbles that to $80.00, but I'm clear out here in Ca. too. But even at $80.00 for 60 lbs. that is still cheaper than $22.00 for 10 lbs. Call: (317) 872-5840 or (800) 221-5927

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 08:36:25 PM »
Here in Kalifornia--L.A. to be exact there is company named Liberty Metals that makes lead wire. The last rolls I bought were .437 dia. at about 0.78 cents a lb.. These were 70 lb rolls. I just heard that new management in the company is demanding more like 1.20 per lb. Somewhere in Arizona there is a better source for lead wire--with lower prices and better quality lead. When I get the name and location I will share with you guys.

Offline TomF

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 07:48:51 AM »
Donna-

Didn't Star Ammunition require you to be a dealer/FFL holder?  It's been a while since I ordered from them, but I thought I had to fax a copy of the FFL to 'em (but a C&R FFL worked fine).

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 09:14:23 AM »
TomF- :D

No FFL required to buy lead wire or pistol jackets from Star Ammunition.

Donna :wink:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline TomF

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 03:52:50 PM »
I thought I had to send a FFL!  I went back to their web site (http://www.411web.com/S/STARAMUNITION/About.htm) and it says:
The increase in our bullet business has forced management to require all new customers to provide a copy of their Federal Firearms License or retail Merchants Certificate.

....so I guess if you're a "new" customer, you have to do it.

Offline Donna

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 11:21:01 AM »
TomF, :D

I guess I made it under the wire. Thank you for correcting me. I guess things are changing for them.

Donna :wink:

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 04:56:46 PM »
The other company that makes lead wire is Seafab Metals in Grand Mesa, Arizona. Their product is higher quality than Liberty Metals in LA. Also in the internet Vulcan is listed as a company that makes lead wire. I am trying to make it easier for you guys to find sources for lead wire. Go to the cow to get the milk , not the calf.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 02:08:51 AM »
Quote from: zrifleman
The other company that makes lead wire is Seafab Metals in Grand Mesa, Arizona. Their product is higher quality than Liberty Metals in LA. Also in the internet Vulcan is listed as a company that makes lead wire. I am trying to make it easier for you guys to find sources for lead wire. Go to the cow to get the milk , not the calf.

AMEN :D
  with the price of fuel, we need all the help we can get zrifleman :D  Keep up the good work and let us know. I for one like to save all I can for my hobby. The more I can save, the more bullets I can make. So come on you guys and gals, out there, let us know where the cheaper prices, can be had at.
thanks.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline gutshot_again

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 03:11:11 AM »
how about casting cores?  Other than being time consuming and you have to have the equipment, is the finished core as good as lead wire?  You could then get pure lead locally and save on shipping.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 04:07:43 AM »
Hi gutshot :D
    I use to cast my own with (Corbin`s moulds), and yes they are just as good casting. However, you have the cost of propane for the bottle to use for heat, or if you use electicity, you have that cost.
   The cost for lead, (pure lead that is) in my part of the state, (Tulsa, Okla)) cost $1.25 per lb. Now I have my own moulds, and melting pot, and all the other accesories, but it is still time consuming. Example, the cost and time for the metal to heat up, the time to cast it, the time to run them through the core sizer, etc. Not to mention the lead fumes that one would be exposed to, even if you do it outside, there is still the danger.
   Basically it is just alot more easier to buy the rolls  and cut the proper length to weight ratio. However, with the every increasing cost of everything, due to the fuel cost, its nice to keep the core moulds on stand by for emergencies.
    I would much prefer to buy the lead wire, but cost will be a factor, so its nice when everybody can input on this forum and let us know where the cheapest wire is to be had at.
    Where I buy my lead wire now, is where Donna was talking about. As it works out it still cost me $1.25 per lb, including shipping. So thats cheaper than doing it myself useing the core moulds. But that`s with the last order, which was about 3 months ago. Who know`s now with the gas being what it is.
Have a nice day and happy bullet making.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline gutshot_again

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 04:14:47 AM »
You have a point bullet maker.  Guess my question was are cast cores as good as lead wire, and you answered that - thank you.  It sounds like IF you already have the casting gear, and IF you have lots of time on your hands, and IF you can score some cheap lead then it would be the way to go.  Lots of IF's in there.  Thank you.

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 05:10:51 AM »
I haven't heard from Gallahad since he posted his last item, and he hasn't been back to graybeard's since then. I mentioned that as a hobbyist I could supply him with about 10# of wire @.30/lb+shipping, but that he really needed to find a supply within driving distance due to shipping costs. At 30 cents I just cover the cost of the scrap lead. Folks who are in business have to cover all the processing, inventory costs, and a slim profit margin... that's why the huge mark-up. As to casting your cores, I have to melt the scrap to make the swaging machine's lead billets. You can't avoid that job (buying billets to make wire costs the same as buying wire). And, as Mr Corbin indicates, cores above .38" should be cast anyway if you don't have access to a huge wire swaging machine. For instance, I can get about 34" of .185"d wire from one of my 3/4"x4"L billets, but only about 10" of .430"d wire. There is no time savings on the larger stuff. However, if you had one of those wire makers that used 8"x12" billets, you could squirt out 50 caliber wire a block long. That's what most of those commercial fellows use. 8)

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 01:18:27 PM »
Found another source for lead wire--Walker Casting in Gardena, California. Sound like their prices are fair and they do small rolls of wire.