Author Topic: Opinions on the NEF Handi-Rifle  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Georgian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Opinions on the NEF Handi-Rifle
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:41:04 PM »
Hey yall. I'm new here and I need some info on the NEF Handi-Rifle.
I have recently gotten interested in the Handi-Rifle. It looks light, handy, and very reliable. If I get one I would like to get a standard Handi-Rifle in 30-30 with iron-sights. Does anyone have any opinions on how accurate or anything on th Handi-Rifle? Also, could it be used for home-defense if needed? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:59:19 PM »
Georgian, welcome to GBO! :D  The Handi is very accurate, and when you consider the cost, it offers accuracy at a bargain! As far as home defense, a single shot would be my last choice if I have a repeater in the house.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97money.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 02:03:20 PM »
Georgian
First of all, welcome!  Glad to have ya. :D
On the handi's the best answer is depends.  If you're looking for a Browning High wall or Ruger #1 quality or strength, then keep going.  If you want a rifle built to hunt and use and that can be made very accurate, then you're on the right track.

As far as home defense, I'd rather go with a handgun or pump gun.  If one shot doesn't do it, I doubt you'll have time to reload.

Now, for the 30-30 question, I have 2 with 30-30 barrels for them.  One produces MOA groups with factory 170gr loads and the other is about 1.5.  I'm sure if I tried real hard I could better that, but why?  The 30-30 is best used inside 200yds anyway and if the rifle will put it into any where from 2" to 3" at 200, then it's really up to me.

Don't forget if you don't like the first caliber you can always get additional barrels, That is the beauty of these rifles.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 03:00:20 PM »
Thanks guys. Any more replies are also welcome! :-)  Thats really cool tho, that you can interchange barrels for anything. Gimme more good stuff on that Handi-Rifle! lol  :P

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Additional barrels
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:03:35 PM »
I bought one in 30/30 and later had the factory add a 45/70 barrel.What a fun gun to shoot.Big bullet,big boom,big hole in target.Who could ask for anything more?
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 03:09:23 PM »
:D , Welcome aboard Georgian, keep coming back and checking the posts and you will soon have a well rounded working knowledge of the fine little single shots. Either the 30-30 or a 45/70 is a great hunting gun....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Handi-rifle
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 03:16:07 PM »
Welcome aboard, First the rifle is great MHO. I have  4 [3 rifle 1      shotgun    with 8 barrels.
 I like  the 39-30.  :D   Marv.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 03:38:30 PM »
I have experience with H&R single-shot shotguns. My first and only shotgun is the H&R Model 58 Topper in 20ga. Its a sweet little shotgun, light, handy, etc. Just like the Handi-Rifles i suppose :grin:

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 03:59:28 PM »
Georgian, .30-30 would be an excellent choice. The Handi can be a bit finicky with the high pressure modern cartridges. Most of the problems can be cured, but they are aggravating. The .30-30s seem to be dead reliable from the start.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 04:22:27 PM »
One thing I like about the Handi is that is just looks like one of those old single-shots that the buffalo hunters used during the late 1800s. I also love those auto-ejecters that they put on em too. You could prob. fire as fast as a lever action, if you were coodinated enough. Just have 3-2 shells in your hand when you shoot, and you just breech the gun as you shoot and put another in :wink:

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 04:32:25 PM »
Guys, I just read some bad stuff about the NEF Handi-Rifle :( . I hope thats its not true. Most of the stuff I just read about consists of the Handi-Rifle not being accurate etc. Is this an isolated problem or what?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 04:33:57 PM »
Quote from: Georgian
Guys, I just read some bad stuff about the NEF Handi-Rifle :( . I hope thats its not true. Most of the stuff I just read about consists of the Handi-Rifle not being accurate etc. Is this an isolated problem or what?

Where did you read it? Can you post a link?
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 08:06:55 PM »
Georgian
If you buy a NEW centerfire RIFLE like the 30-30 etc, you can put ANY centerfire barrel on it that NEF makes except the 10ga shotgun.  This includes shotgun and black powder barrels.

Here is the link of calibers available.

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

As for accuracy problems, they do crop up now and then.  Some, very few, have barrels that will not shoot, period.  NEF has been known to replace them though.

They replaced the barrel on my Buffalo Classic.  The new barrel was a tack driver.  Overall they'll be more accurate than most shooters.  Just check here for all the dirt on making them give the most possible.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 12:46:28 AM »
Here's the link that I read all that stuff from:  

http://www.huntinfo.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/008301.html

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 04:00:31 AM »
Centerfire results from the last postal match:

Shooter Rifle Caliber Group

Jeff223 Handi .223Rem .336"
Jeff223 Handi 30-30Win .524"
Wlscott Ultra .223Rem .543"
Mac11700 Survivor .308 .552"
Student Handi .223 .645"
Mitchell Ultra .223 .682"
Student Handi .243 1.255"
Student Handi .308 1.991"
Naedlen Handi .223 2.661"

If you do some searching on this forum about accurizing you'll find that resting the rifle under the reciever dramatically improves group sizes.  Resting the rifle on the forearm as the barrel heats up from shooting does cause "walking" because the forearm is attached to the barrel and puts pressure on the barrel that changes harmonics shot to shot as the barrel heats up.  Resting the rifle on the reciever eliminates this pressure.  

Also, another common thing we do is put an oring between the forearm lug and the forearm, which floats the barrel/forearm.  Others have removed wood with sandpaper to float the barrel.  About the thickness of a dollar bill is all that is necessary.

And, like every rifle, a trigger job always helps.

Most barrels also take 100 to 200 rounds through them to "shoot in".  The barrels are a little rough out of the factory and need to have the burs shot off of them.

If, after 200 rounds, the barrel has not come around, you like the trigger, you're resting on the reciever, you've tried the forearm floated, not floated (some barrel like floated, some don't), tried different loads to find what bullet weight, charge, the barrel likes, have the crown inspected.  Like any rifle brand a few bad crowns make it out the door.

These guns are so simple that after you know how to bench shoot them, they typically shoot good.  Does every NEF shoot good?  Does every gun of any brand shoot good, no.  There's lemons of every brand.  NEF's don't seem to be any worse than any other brand when it comes to that.

So go get one, shoot it, read information on this board, tweak it a little if necessary, and enjoy!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 04:30:41 AM »
Ditto on all that Scruffy said...and a few other things...

These rifles aren't bench rest rifles...and they have a transfer bar under the hammer...so when you are benching the rifle..you also must follow thru with the trigger...otherwise your groups will open...but if you look at the groups that were fired in the last postal match...you'll see that they can shoot good...

As to the rifles not ejecting properly...my 308 didn't like cheap military import ammo...and wouldn't eject it at all...so I didn't use it..and after polishing the chamber I didn't have any handloads stick...no matter how I handloaded them...this is one of the things we do to make them more reliable...also fully cleaning the ejector and trigger out by flushing it out with wd-40 or tri-flow works great...you have to or eventually it will have problems...

These rifles are the best value for the dollar that out there...they can be finiky...but so can a $2500 bench gun too....it hasn't been till recently till our Handi's have been given some good press...it's something we've known all along...and others are just discovering it....because they have been lead to believe that they weren't worthy of any good praise...it's easy to discount a $250 rifle...when say comparing it to a $1500 Kimber,or Sako...it doesn't have the flash of them...but for those of us that appreciate the virtues of these little rifles...we just sit back and laugh at them...

Learn how to clean it...learn how to shoot it...learn what ammo does best in it...and you'll get the results your looking for....more often than not....

Funny really....you would have to do the very same thing for that $2500 bench rifle too.............................

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 05:51:03 AM »
Georgian, I checked out that thread and there were almost as many good things said about Handi's as there were bad things said. I did post my expierence with my H&R guns. My .17 HMR Sportster with a Simmons scope, total appx cost $250.00 has outshot an Anshutz .17 HMR (1717D) with a  Unertel scope, total appx cost appx $2,500.00. A 10 to 1 cost ratio!!! These guns are as accurate as most shooters and can be shot as well as any other gun....They of course don't have that heavy price tag and snob appeal so many poo-poo them, even after they are outshot by them...You cannot buy accuracy by spending money alone, you must be able to shoot. The old adage is, beware the man with a single (shot) rifle, for he probably knows how to shoot...truer words were never spoken....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 11:09:43 AM »
The reason why I want to get a Handi-Rifle is because they remind me of the old timey breach-loaders. But they are even better in that they eject your shell too, automatically. I dont know yet if I'll use it for hunting or not, maybe if I could find some deer to shoot at I could, lol. I just liked it cause it is a cheap, nice looking, reliable, no-nosense looking rifle.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 01:26:36 PM »
I like em so much I have a closet  full of em, at least the wife thinks so I even bought a 30-30 today.  I have only had one go bad on me but that's another  story.  :-D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 01:38:30 PM »
Quote from: Georgian
But they are even better in that they eject your shell too, automatically..

To each his own.  I'd rather the Handi's have an extractor rather than an ejector.

Anyways, the Handi's should give you generally trouble free service; you might find rimmed cartridges (.45-70, .30-30, .44 Rem Mag, .357 Mag) a little more reliable, and if you want a "classic" type gun then you can't go wrong with any of these.

Of course, not trying to turn you away from the Handi, but if you don't mind iron sights, and want something older styled, and cheap, you might want to look at a military surplus rifle (the older bolt action ones from the first half of the 20th century).   The Schmidt-Rubin K-31 runs about $100 or so and is a heck of a good shooting rifle.  Classic-type styling too.  Only problem is that ammo is hard to find (it shoots 7.5x55).  I handload so shooting mine isn't a problem, but finding ammo (ESPECIALLY hunting ammo) can be difficult.  There's also the Mosin Nagants.  Again, older styled rifle, cheap (around $75), and these shoot 7.62x54R which is a bit easier to find.  Just throwing some suggestions your way.  If you want to scope your rifle though, then go with the Handi.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 03:04:49 PM »
I would actually like to have iron sights on a Handi-Rifle. I like scopes and all, but to me, I can get on target quicker with iron sights even tho I do use a scoped rifle for hunting right now. I was looking at either a 30-30 or 45-70, but do not know just yet.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Ejecters
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 03:31:09 PM »
MGMorden By peako's post or web page, you can convert a ejecter to
 extractor in about five minutes of grinding the extra lege off. I am going to try on my 219 zipper, brass is complete make job from 25- 35 or 30-30.
 to much work for loseing it. Marv.

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2004, 12:49:49 AM »
Well, I do not reload, so the auotmatic extractor is good for me, but I do understand that yall do reload, so yall would not want the shell to eject automatically.

Offline BnSC

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2004, 01:28:49 AM »
I have owned three.  Two have been in 45-70 and one in 30-06.  I only have a 45-70 now.  The other two that I sold were fine weapons, they were traded or sold for what I thought was better weapons.

I traded the first 45-70 for a lever marlin 444.  It was the worst trade I have ever done.  The 45-70 out performed the 444 by a mile.  The 444 was prone to jams even when cleaned meticulously.  Also the 444 didin't seem to have the knock down of th 'ol 45..  I eventually traded it in on a Ruger 30-06..

I missed my old 45-70 so much that I bought a new one last year.

They are well built, very "handy", and have great accuracy...

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2004, 07:38:18 AM »
I have to second (or third) Scruffy and Handi-rifle's comments on this board as well as the one that was linked.
I talked around before I bought mine and every shop owner described the Handi-Rifle as "a shooter".  When I send my action in for the next caliber, I am including a letter telling them how pleased I am with my bargain rifle.
As a member of the American Single Shot Association, I attend events and competitions catered to the activities of the single shot rifle shooter.  While these are cast-lead bullet events, and while I'm typically shooting my Falling Block Works rifle in competition, the tips and tricks you can get from the one-shot guys are extremely valuable.
A single-shot rifle is not a bolt, and won't respond to the same accuracy improving methods, or bench-technique.  Resting on the action works, as does resting on the barrel -withthe heavier bbls.-  The forearm, while looking good, and giving you a place to put your hand, really doesn't do much for the use of the rifle.  The higher power cartridges available in this rifle will work well as long as the bbl doesn't walk within the forearm.  They do get more accurate with time and use.  My 357mag Handi has improved its group size from 2.25" at 100 yards to about 1.75" at 100 yards with almost 3500 rounds of jacketed Win 158gr bullets through it.

If somebody wants to get rid of one "cheap", I'll happily give it a home, and I'll even mail them the groups I get out of it to them after I've had a chance to work with it.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2004, 08:40:12 AM »
If you only have a couple hundred bucks to spend, the NEF handi is a winner. Now if you have a $400.00 bucks buy 2 NEF rifles, or 1 NEF rifle and two additional barrels in different calibers.
                    They are real workhorses!
no x now!