Author Topic: First time caster report  (Read 536 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
First time caster report
« on: October 02, 2004, 06:57:10 PM »
Wish I'd know it was this easy years ago!

I used a couple of two cavity Lee round ball moulds and a six cavity 45 mold that I got from a forulite.  I've got the Lyman 20lb. bottom pore melter and love it, drips and all.

Spent a little while turning wheel weights into ignots, then turning recovered pure lead round balls into ignots and started casting a little today.

The six cavity is the way to go, in about 45 minits I had a pile of 250+ bullets, not counting a few rejects due to not filling out and such, and decided to shut it down and try pan lubing.

Got a batch of 50 45's loaded up and can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

Feel confident that when I get a chance to spend most of a day casting I can supply myself for several months with bullets.

Thanks for everyones help,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
First time caster report
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:28:10 AM »
Yup, there is just something satisfying about rolling your own. My experience casting mirrors yours. I love it. If there was a practical way to make gunpowder I would probably get into that too. I just like doing it myself is all.
 :grin:
I have only been casting a couple of years and I too would like to thank all that contribute to this board and share their experience and help new folks get going. Thanks everyone.  :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline sundogg1911

First time caster report
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 09:02:02 AM »
bullet casting is one of those things that you have to enjoy, because if you figure the hours and equipment involved, you don't actually save much money. I can buy a box of 500 45 acp 230 grain lead for a little over $20 or spend the better part of a day castin', sizin', and lubeing my own. Personally id rather make my own. It's so much more satisfying to win a match or take a Deer knowing that it was your own reloads and cast bullets. A good  friend thinks i'm crazy, but He ties flys.....what kind of a nut would do that?!?  (But it works out when we trade bullets for bugs!)  :lol:

Offline Leftoverdj

First time caster report
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:20 PM »
Sundog has a point, but I cast primarily stuff I can't readily and dependably buy. Back when I did buy commercial cast bulk bullets, I ran into some foul stuff. I also ran into periods when what I needed was not locally available.

I have more time than money and not much to do in winter evenings. Winter is for casting and the other three seasons are for shooting them up. I might cast a little during the shooting seasons, but it will be because I have bought a new mould or have gone on a binge with one bullet. I ain't never gonna run out of something to shoot because I go into spring with 400-500 pounds of bullets ready to shoot.

Not just any bullets, either. I know that I used the right alloy and sized them for my guns and used a decent lube. And I also know that I have a considerable stockpile as cast to size and lube as my needs change.

Keeps me busy and off the streets and keeps me from being any broker than I already am.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Cactus Cris

First time caster report
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 06:38:32 PM »
I get a lot of comments about my shiny rnd balls from the other C&B shooters.   Wait till they see the conicals I cast up.  They are real shiny.   I cast up about 3-4 hundred Mav 44's at a time, put them in a box, then b4 I load, I size and lube with the Star, sit them on a plex tray, 50 per tray, then sit them next to the 650.   I put the 36 & 44 balls in a plex box and an empty glue can to take to the shoot.  Everything goes in a tool box.
  Casting is a relaxing thing for me.  Listen to Miller, Basie, Brubeck, Mancini, and cast away.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
First time caster report
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 08:44:30 PM »
I might comment too, that some folks go way out of their way to help a guy get started. One pard I will leave un named ( Cactus Cris ) went so far as to ship me some lead so I could get rolling. Now that friends is COWBOY.
That is why I thank everyone that helped me and I hope I can return the favor to someone else.  :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
First time caster report
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 09:04:15 AM »
well the batch of round ball turned out well, WW are a little hard for me to seat in a cap&ball six gun, but worked fine in both 44 and 36.  I did manage to recover a little over six pounds of pure lead from the dirt pile that I shoot into so I casted a couple hundred of them up and they load easier.

The 45 I casted with a 6 gange mold I got from a member of the forums, cant remember his name to save my life.  I pan lubed and loaded with black powder, the performance that day was below par for me, but I didn't group them, just did some plinking.  As soon as I get off the rig I'll load up some more and try grouping from a sand bad and see how they do.  I didn't size them, they miked out at .450 and were shot through a stainless Ruger Vaquero.  Not my favorite gun, but it was very resonably priced and the only one I had in 45 at the moment.  May have to use a grease cookie with the black powder, though I did use a fiber wad.

Thanks again Guys,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com