Author Topic: I don't know what to do.  (Read 700 times)

Offline The deerslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I don't know what to do.
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:22:12 AM »
From my other post some of you suggested that I should hold the gun to find the right barrel length. Well I want to do that but there is a few problems with that. I was looking at 2 different gun shops around my aria, but they don't have the gun I wand in both barrel lengths I want to try. I even looked up Gander mountain they have a lot of guns there maybe even the ones I want to try, but It's the 13 thing. Im not allowed to hold a gun there. Does anyone know what I could do?

Offline bigjeepman

I don't know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 01:16:19 PM »
deerslayer ...

Ask an adult friend to go with you or a relative ....

good luck young man ...
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline The deerslayer

• Avid Poster
I don't know what to do.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:24:57 PM »
I will have to try. The last time I cannot recall if my dad was right there or not.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I don't know what to do.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 02:21:32 AM »
Ya know I really hate to rain on your parade and really hate to discourage a youth wanting to hunt, BUT, dang it I'm gonna.

If you are only 13 years of age and stores feel you're not even old enough to hold a gun then likely it's not legal for you to hunt with it either. Regardless of that tho you really don't need to be thinking of being a handgun hunter at this early stage in your life.

What you need to do is to use a rifle and get some years of experience behind you and to do as that user name implies and slay a few deer. Then when you're of legal age to buy a handgun do so and begin thinking of handgun hunting.

Everyone should start with a .22 RF handgun and ONLY when they've become truly proficient with it and killed a passle of squirrels or rabbits or both should they move on to bigger guns and bigger game. Don't really care who this pisses off it's the way it ought to be done dang it. It's the way I did it and it's the way I teach all prospective handgunners who wish me to teach them.

Don't get in such a hurry. You've got a lot of years ahead of you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Questor

I don't know what to do.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 03:30:43 AM »
My son is 12 (and I was 13 once too) so I know how it is.  What you need to do is get your father or mother involved in handgun shooting. Parents will do just about anything for their kids if the interest is sincere enough.  If you can get your parents behind you, and get some time to develop marksmanship and muzzle control skills, you'll be in good shape.  

Muzzle control, as you probably know from hunter safety class, is vitally important. And it's especially important with handguns because they are easier to handle, and therefore point in the wrong direction.

It is unlikely that you will be able to hunt with a handgun without your parent along, at least that's the way it is in my state.
Safety first

Offline The deerslayer

• Avid Poster
I don't know what to do.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:10:56 PM »
Quote from: Questor
It is unlikely that you will be able to hunt with a handgun without your parent along, at least that's the way it is in my state.

I have been doing some research on that. I found out that as long as there is a person that is old enough to own a handgun and Im with them. It doesn't have to be a parent here.

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
I don't know what to do.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
thers no age law in pa for it, as long as the person with him is old enough to have one an all so the boy has to go get a sportsmans permite

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
I don't know what to do.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 04:38:33 PM »
I agree with graybeard too. Get all the expierence you can with rifles.
I got my first rifle at ten, but my dad was always there with me to shoot
paper. I think I was 16 when i got a shotgun, and at 17 got a 30/30.
I didn't get a handgun until now and I'm 39. And I am still learning to
shoot it gaining more expierence everytime I go to the range just learning to control the gun and to try different loads to find the best for me.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline 3006va

I don't know what to do.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »
If the adults in your life (parents mostly) that have taught and observed you in your firearms training feel you are safe enough and READY for handgun hunting then by all means pursue it! Some are ready very young, some may be ready when the powers to be say they are old enough to buy there own hand gun and I've met some at retirement age that are still a long way from being there. Still small game hunting with a rimfire IS the place to start! If you have earned your strips(worked up to this point with small game and smaller guns) then there must be an of age adult who could help you find the gun you seek. Never have read a gun writer who wrote they waited until 18 to start handgun hunting,but most add that small game is where they started! Good luck in your pursuits and I pray you DO have a long long time to enjoy them.
Mauser-when you care enough to shoot the best!

Offline jhm

I don't know what to do.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 01:54:12 AM »
My son grew up around guns of all types I owned a gunshop and was involved in another, when he turned 21 he recieved a browning buckmark and a S&W model 28 for his birthday they were his first handguns, as has been stated get the experience and enjoyment out of long guns first you wont be missing anything by not having a handgun until later in life. :D   JIM