Author Topic: Airline Rules on flying with rifle  (Read 615 times)

Offline pastor steve

• Trade Count: (0)
Airline Rules on flying with rifle
« on: September 21, 2004, 06:14:28 AM »
I am flying to Wyoming next week on an antelope hunt and wonder if any one knows some specifics on the regs for bringing guns? Any problems I can avoid. Also how earler should I arrive.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 08:00:44 AM »
i flew northwestern a while back and had a hassle free trip.  I called ahead and asked what their rules were and what I needed to do before checking in.  I pulled the bolt, had the ammo in a seperate, locked container, and had my serial numbers written down ahead of time (they didn't ask for them).  I had to fill out a short form at the desk and put it in the case.

my advice:  call ahead and ask what they're policy is... my trip was extremely hassle-free

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »
Contact the carrier for their regulations. The gun must be declared, unloaded, and in a locked hardcase. Ammo must be checked in a seperate bag and in a package designed to hold ammo no loose rounds or loaded magazines. Its a good idea to pull the bolt - some carriers may require it or at least have the action open.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 02:00:13 AM »
I did a wyoming trip last year with Northwestern airlines.Flew to Rapid city.When you check in at the desk you declare your rifle.Get a GOOD hardcase for it(the metal kind with the locking bar are super).As stated you will have to keep the ammo separate,remove bolt but keep it with gun if you like.There will be an inspector that will ask you to open the case.He basically gives it a once over and gives you a slip of approval which is put in the case with the gun.You then lock the case and its checked with your baggage.At your destination you collect your gear with the gun.I put my shells in my suitcase and it was no-problem.As we were waiting for the departure we watched out the window at the ground crew loading luggage and they were literally throwing the guns and baggage in the plane.They dont care about your gun like you do and they show it.I repeat...get a GOOD gun case.Have GREAT trip...the antelope are everywhere out there,GOOD LUCK !! :D