Author Topic: painful decision! weaver GS vs nikon monarch vs elite 4200  (Read 624 times)

Offline lurcher

• Trade Count: (0)
painful decision! weaver GS vs nikon monarch vs elite 4200
« on: September 23, 2004, 08:11:27 PM »
I'm looking for a scope (2.5-10 or 3.9X40 or thereabouts) for my newly completed mauser project. I just can't make up my mind I have been thinking about this for a long time, help put me out of my misery!!.....

Calibre is 6.5X55 so recoil should be minor and therefore eye relief less of a bother?

I plan to use the scope for general hunting but particularly dawn and dusk work. There are no constraints out here in New Zealand regarding shooting hours so low light performance is extremely important.

I have narrowed my decision to either a Nikon Monarch, Weaver Grand slam or Bushnell elite 4200

which of these scopes has the best duplex reticle?
I  have been hunting recently with a friend who uses a leupold (VarXIII I think) he loses his reticle way before I do under low light conditions when I use a Zeiss conquest with etched reticle.

which is the best low light performer?
I'm guessing from what I have read that the Monarch and Weaver are similar with the 4200  outlasting them slightly.

Is the extra money ($60 or so) for the 4200 worth it?

The grand slam and Monarch have very similar pricing, does one have the edge over the other?

Thanks in advance

Lurcher
NZ

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
painful decision! weaver GS vs nikon monarc
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:46:30 AM »
I personally think that the Nikon Monarch is a little brighter and clearer than the other 2.  But at this point, you could flip a coin and you would not be disappointed in any of them.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Arkie-06

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 02:28:31 AM »
i have a 4x40 Monarch and a 6x42 monarch. My humble opinion is you simply cannot beat the Monarch on low light performance for the money you spend.They are very good. Comparing them against my Conqeust in fading light i give the edge to the monarch, the crosshairs are a little thicker on the Nikon and  and that seems to help  a great to make a good shot.
Early to bed, Early to rise, Makes a man Healthy, Wealthy and Wise. :-)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 02:49:48 AM »
I've got a Monarch Gold 1.5x6 and 2 Monarch 4x40's (only 1 that is being used right now) and I'm very impressed with them.  I'm sure the other scopes you mentioned are great scopes, but I really like the Monarchs that I have.  

I don't think you'll be sorry with any of the scopes, but I don't think you can beat the Nikon.  Good luck in your decision.

JCM

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 02:57:22 AM »
Another vote for the Nikon Monarch.  :D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor