Author Topic: #1 for 2004 on ice  (Read 717 times)

Offline BnSC

• Trade Count: (0)
#1 for 2004 on ice
« on: September 17, 2004, 06:46:29 AM »
I took an opportunity to squeeze in hunt yesterday before the wind and rain from Ivan arrived.

I was hunting a corner between two pastures and a cutover.  I had enjoyed watching a racoon eating persimmons about 50 yds away,as well as, bluebirds playing and quail flitting about nearby.

About 7:15 a lone doe appeared at the edge of the cutover and made her way to the corn I had put out in a small clearing in the cutover.  Now this is where it gets interesting...

Between me and doe is a dozier pile that is taller than I initially thought.  As the doe gets to the corn, all I can see is the top of her back, about 3 inches of her neck, and her head.  She is a little less than 75 yds away.

I turned the power up on 6-18x 50 up to 18x.  I watch as her head bobs up and down as she is eating corn. Finally,  she lifted her head again above the pile and turns to look over her back at the pasture giving me a flat side profile of her head.

That was what I was looking for! POP! the little 22-250 does it thing entering and exiting right below the ears....

That is not my preferred shot, but it worked

95# doe is now on ice!!!

Offline JPSaxMan

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 01:30:59 PM »
Nice kill. But u guys must be lucky...us Yankee's can't hunt wit guns until November :). And who says ya need a .270 for deer hunting? Now ya have get 100! Good luck! :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline goose7856

• Contributor
#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 04:51:47 PM »
same here......down in the deep south (LA).......we cant gun hunt until around nov, but I think bowhunting either opened sep. 1st or oct. 1st (i think its oct)
Good Hunting and Straight Shooting

Offline BnSC

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 01:37:01 AM »
our gun seasons open different times for different game zones.  The earliest is Aug. 15th and runs straight through to Jan. 1.  The next group can start archery on 8/15 and gun on 9/1 though 1/1.  The next group starts archery on 9/1 and gun on 9/15 through 1/1.  The last group has a primitive weapon season starting 10/1 through 10/15 and then regular gun thorugh 1/1....

I've got in-laws in Penna.  My bro-n-law's first hunt down here was quite comical.  Somebody got about an 80# doe on the hunt.  When he saw it he asked "who shot the dog?"  :)

Offline JPSaxMan

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 02:25:02 AM »
Oh my...now I have more reasons to keep my golden inside on the opening day :) . That's kinda like the story of the guy who took a friend hunting, and I guess this was when (way way back when) they could use an AK-47 for hunting. They got on stand and not an hour later, the guide hears his companion shooting. After emptying a clip (30 rounds), he investigates. He finds out he's SHOOTING AT COWS!! The guys says to him, "What the f*** are you doing?". He said, "I don't know...but those are the biggest doe I've ever seen". Oh my good Lord, what is this world coming to? :roll: Good luck and good hunting! :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:33:44 PM »
Quote from: Fishman029
That's kinda like the story of the guy who took a friend hunting, and I guess this was when (way way back when) they could use an AK-47 for hunting. They got on stand and not an hour later, the guide hears his companion shooting.After emptying a clip (30 rounds), he investigates. He finds out he's SHOOTING AT COWS!!

The guy didn't have an AK he had a SKS...It happened about 10 years ago and BTW you can still hunt with ANY CENTER FIRE here in the Kentucky and any center fire of at least .24cal in Tennessee, this includes semi-auto rifles, Kalishnakovs, SKSs, etc...I think all of the South is like this although there is a magazine requirement of 10 rounds???(I think 10 maybe 5 :?: ).............I still see that novice hunter off and on, and I like to pick at him still, but I don't think he has been so irresponsible since then...and in his defense he needed glasses and had no binoculars....he still uses a semi-auto, although he stepped up to from the iron-sighted SKS to a scoped M-14......I always ask him where he is going to be hunting, and then stay away from that side of the county during rifle season :)  :-D  :)  

He had never been hunting either, although I had seen him shoot and he was pretty good, I should have stayed with him but I set him up in an old house and told him to watch a general direction which would have limited his shots to 50-75 yards I was sure he could do fine by his self in the situation..........the cows was almost a half of a mile away too.
I am thankful no one was hurt and that no cow was struck.

Quote from: Fishman029
He finds out he's SHOOTING AT COWS!! The guys says to him, "What the f*** are you doing?".

What I said to him was a lot more colorful, to say the least. And lasted a lot longer. But you captured the the opening sentence perfectly...if this was a x-rated web site I would still have trouble typing all I said. :lol:  :)  :-D  :-D  :)

:D
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline BnSC

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 02:00:43 AM »
In SC there really is no weapon restriction on private property.  State lands have a .22 centerfire and larger restriction.  We may have a mag capacity limit on state land.. I'll have to check.  

I have a good friend that uses an AK in the swamps for a "brush gun".. I say why not !! It is definitely in its element under those conditions..

I use that .22-250 quite often, and have another friend that uses a .22 hornet on occassion...

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 05:55:32 AM »
good god, shooting at cows thinking they are deer.  No offense but was this guy born and raised in Manhatten (not kansas). lol thats a funny story though.  

I waterfowl hunt every year on the opener in North Eastern California (Tule Lake, Klamath National Wildlife refuge) near Klamath Falls.  It seems like every year there is a story of a guy shooting a hawk or owl or eagle or swan and thinking its a goose.   A few years ago a guy actually took a swan to a check station thinking it was a snow goose.  What I wanna know is how the hell did he carry it out of the marsh!

22 hornet, hm you guys must have small deer.  My deer zone here in N. California opens Saturday ( 2 days!!!!) and i will be using a .270 weatherby vanguard.  Of course shots out here can be close or very far.

Offline BnSC

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 06:16:25 AM »
Average mature does in my area run 85# to 100#... biggest I've taken has been 115#

Average mature bucks 150# to 170#, biggest I've killed was a 180#

The guy w/ the hornet has taken several while he was hunting w/ us in the 100# range (does and immature bucks).  His biggest was a 150# 7 point.

All shots are in the neck, most at close range (50 yds or less)....

Offline JPSaxMan

#1 for 2004 on ice
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »
Sorry 7Mag, forgot that was you who posted (thought it was one of those phantom members who posted that :? ). Must have remembered it wrong...once again I apologize for the errors (I would have checked it again to re-affirm my story....but I forgot where the post was :) ). Peace out, all!  :D
JP