Author Topic: Blanks for blackpowder cannon/mortars  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Blanks for blackpowder cannon/mortars
« on: March 02, 2003, 01:01:24 PM »
Will Bison - you mentioned black powder blanks.

I've tried packing newsprint in on top of black powder - it works but produces many too many flaming remnants.

What is your method?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 03:24:27 PM »
I use just a tin foil cartridge. As you noticed paper makes fire. I keep any combustible out of the bore. Some like to put the powder in a plastic bag and thence into the foil cartridge to prevent moisture contamination and any chance of flash over.

I use a well constructed foil cartridge for all shooting. Once loaded the gimlet pricks the case and then the prime is applied.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 03:30:49 PM »
One other thing, if you shoot mortar, put a tin foil cartridge of flour on top, gives a little resistance to the charge and will disipate within inches of the muzzle for blank shooting.

Offline airco02

wadding
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:21:06 PM »
You might want to go to your local hobby shop and get some recovery wadding made by estes. This material is similar to paper but is fireproof,in fact the rockets use a compressed black powder propellant.
How it will work for you I don,t know as my cannon is still on the drawing board. A couple bucks for 75 4.5x4.5 sheets
Keep shooting ,till you run out of bullets or run out of bear.

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 05:12:02 PM »
For my mortar rounds, I add enough corn meal to the tin foil cartridge to be the same length as the powder sub-chamber.  I know that it probably isn't necessary, but I just can't get over that leaving potential air space thing.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline wallyW

fireproof wadds
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:28:48 PM »
this is the way i make wadds for the cannon i have , first i have to make a mold about .010 bigger than the bore, then i save the egg cartons and newspapers for  a while tear cut, or grind up the paper  put bunch in a 5 gallon bucket , add hot water,get out the electric drill paint sterrer, and beat the stuff till a pulp, i supose you could use a blender ( the wife says nO) this stuff  dont have to be to fine , and then add Boric acid, or   roach powder, 2 tbs in 2 gallons of water, mix well let it set for a while , then take out a hand full and  fill the mold  press out all of the water you can and gently slip the paper wadd out on something to dry,  if and when it drys out , may be a week if large, it is to big  make a bit damp when you are going to use it and it will loose some of the hardness and fit the barrel better, remember the tighter the wadd the bigger the bang, just dont fire at Will, you might hit the poor guy

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: fireproof wadds
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 03:43:02 PM »
Quote from: wallyW
this is the way i make wadds for the cannon i have , first i have to make a mold about .010 bigger than the bore, then i save the egg cartons and newspapers for  a while tear cut, or grind up the paper  put bunch in a 5 gallon bucket , add hot water,get out the electric drill paint sterrer, and beat the stuff till a pulp, i supose you could use a blender ( the wife says nO) this stuff  dont have to be to fine , and then add Boric acid, or   roach powder, 2 tbs in 2 gallons of water, mix well let it set for a while , then take out a hand full and  fill the mold  press out all of the water you can and gently slip the paper wadd out on something to dry,  if and when it drys out , may be a week if large, it is to big  make a bit damp when you are going to use it and it will loose some of the hardness and fit the barrel better, remember the tighter the wadd the bigger the bang, just dont fire at Will, you might hit the poor guy

Wally - I've always used boric acid in tanning hides to keep the insects out.

Let me just add that the wad MUST be dry when firng - placing anything wet into the bore will seal it so tightly that the tube will burst.  As a matter of fact it's a recommended method of destroying artillary pieces quickly - by the Army.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 05:56:43 PM »
WallyW mentions it light heartedly, but as moderators we have to say it seriously.  

Be aware of where you are shooting! That wad is a projectile! It can kill injure and or damage!

Offline wallyW

fireproof wadds
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 12:26:31 AM »
when i said to make the wadds damp that is what i meant not WET, it just softens up the paper so they will fit the barrel if to hard to push in the barrel,,,, these things will not BURN , and a wadd can Kill  a 58cal with a a good wadd will blow a hole thru a 3/4 inch pine board  placed 12 inches in front of the muzzle you Dangerious ,,,ubetya

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 12:30:15 AM »
Good clairification, Wally.  We just need to be extra careful to keep safe.
I think we're on the same sheet of music - keeping safe and having fun.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Lyle

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 04:26:09 PM »
We've used rock wool ceiling insulation for over 20 years firing 6pdrs for demonstrations.  No flaming material and it disappears within a few feet.
For demo's use Boom Boom Seigleins friction igniters..never had a failure with them.  
                      Lyle

Offline lv shooter

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 02:25:56 AM »
Lyle, how much rock wool do you put in? Do you pack it in tight? I will be using it in a pop can size mortar. Thanks

Offline Lyle

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 05:25:08 AM »
About the same size as your pop can..doesn't need to rammed tight..just snug.  You can also put it in the foil cartridge.  I twist a point on the rock wool end so that it doesn't get turned around.

Lyle

Offline lv shooter

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 12:44:50 PM »
What do you mean when you say that you twist the end so it won't turn around? thanks

Offline Lyle

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 04:57:12 PM »
Twist the foil so that it's pointed on one end..that end goes towards the muzzle..if you mix up the ends you won't get ignition as the vent will be at the rock wool end.
    If I'm using cartridges make them up first..then load with powder in the cartridge and if I need wadding put  that in next..last twist the end instead of folding it  over to show where the wadding is.
    I use a form to make the cartridge..the "bottom" of the cartridge is flat from the forming.    
    Could also paint it or do something else to mark the wadding end.    

Lyle

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 12:34:17 AM »
Good concept.  With separate-loading artillary shells one puts in the bullet, it's rammed into the rifling and then the powder is loaded in silk sacks of powder.  THE end with the thin layer of blackpowder (to catch the sparks of the primer) is colored RED.  Same idea.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline lv shooter

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 11:46:08 AM »
Do you think it would work just as good if I put the powder in the powder chamber of the mortar and then push the rock wool down on top of the powder (the rock wool would be in the barrel more than in the powder chamber). Also would i use the same powder charge as I would for a pop can full of concrete? Thanks

Offline Lyle

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 05:17:14 AM »
That's the  way I usually shoot..rock wool on top of the powder charge..you'll have to experiment a bit for the right amount of rock wool for the best sound.
The rock wool I use looks like old wool.  It's the kind they blow into the attic spaces.

Lyle

Offline lv shooter

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 04:33:52 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, UPS tracking says I'll get my mortar on tues. The experimenting starts next weekend.