Author Topic: Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 survive .375HH recoil ?  (Read 740 times)

Offline Lolly

• Trade Count: (0)
Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 survive .375HH recoil ?
« on: August 23, 2004, 07:38:17 AM »
I spoke to Bushnell and they claim that their Trophy 1.75-5 scope will outlive the .375HH. I have one of these scopes and would like to use this power range on my soon-to-arrive 375HH, but I don't want it to disintegrate after 5 rounds.

So my question is:
(A) Does anyone have any experience with this scope /cal combo to verify Bushnell's claim?

Their website does indicate that they test their Elite 4200 series on 375 HH but does not indicate Trophy series. This is a relatively cheap scope and I have read that most expensive scopes fail at some point with big bore heavies.

After doing a little homework, it appears that most advise Leupold VXIII to survive longest with big bores (375 and up)

(B) What say you ?

Thanks

Lolly
:gulp: Lollypop

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 survive .375HH recoi
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 04:21:39 AM »
I have 2 of these. One mounted on a 20ga and a 12ga slug gun. Both have held up without any issues. I think the 12ga slug guns recoil could be compared to a 375.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Leupold 1.5-5
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 08:32:23 PM »
Thought I'd offer this as a comparison.  My leupold VXIII 1.5-5 has held up fine on my 300 win mag, (weighs a bit over 8 lbs) for close to 2,000 rounds - probably 85% of the loads have been with 180gr or heavier bullets.  The three times I thought the scope was buggered up, I found my stock screws had gotten loose. Tighten the screws and my groups go back to .75 to 1.5 in a 100yds. Takes temps from -20F to close to +80. Plus I've fallen on the rifle and scope several times - hurts my back or rear but still dead on.  Now if Leupold would just come up with their version of Rainguard..........
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »
A friend of mine has one on a 270 holds pretty good.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 03:28:29 AM »
I own an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm with the Firefly reticle on my .375H&H Mag and it has held up perectly!  In fact, it tracks and holds zero fantastically.  Would you believe 3 shots groups at 100 yards under 1/4 inch?!?!?!? :eek:

I don't know about the Trophy on the .375, but the Trophy handgun line holds up well on the big bore handguns like .480 Ruger and .454 Casull.  Still, for a little extra money, I'd get the Elite 3200.  I bought mine from theopticzone and it was about $200 or under.  Check and find out!

Zachary

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 07:25:36 AM »
Tried to mount this scope on my SAKO. - No good. THe eyepiece is too bulky AND the scope is too short to accomodate the distance between the rings.

So, this scope is no longer an option. ALSO I am not too thrilled about seeing the barrel while viewing the target - I find it terribly distracting. Therefore I need a minimum of 3x power. I am probably going to settle for a 3-9 and most likely will be a Nikon Monarch.

Incidently, the rifle is definitely pleasant too shoot. I was expecting a little excess punishment and it never materialized.  :D
:gulp: Lollypop