Author Topic: Grown Ups/Youth Guns  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Survivor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Grown Ups/Youth Guns
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:37:13 PM »
I've been kinda inphatuated with small rifles for a while now.  I like the idea of a takedown that really packs a punch. It started with some homework on takedowns accross the board like the Henry Survival 22 which I quickly took off the list when I finally saw one in person...pretty awkward/bulky stock.  So I kept it up.  There are a handfull of much neater rifles.  But can a rifle be stowable without breaking down and still maintain above average performance at a manageable cost?  Savage, for instance, makes youth rifles in some spanking calibers with the addition of a muzzle break for the small shooter.  That got me thinking.  I'm going to pick up a nice H&R Survivor soon which aught to tide me over but there are a ton of youth rifles that almost pull of the stowable/portable/"pack it and go" type of gun.  What are your thoughts?  Anyone ever thought of using a youth model rifle in lieu of a break breakdown? :-\   

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Re: Grown Ups/Youth Guns
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:03 PM »
I recently picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Compact in 7mm-08 for my son.  It came with both a youth-sized stock and an adult- sized stock to "grow into", but I'm so impressed with the compactness and handling with the youth stock that I'm considering getting another one for myself to use sheep hunting where weight and portability are a consideration.

Offline Survivor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 09:09:36 PM »
That's what I'm saying!  Now there's two of us and I feel better. ;D  Happy new year.

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:18:24 AM »
I think the NEF youth  model in 223 is one of the best survival rifles going.

Add the screw from a survivor stock so you can break it down without tools and a receiver sight and you are good to go.

Then with proper reloads you can take from deer down to squirrel in a pinch

Kid

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 04:44:51 PM »
my son is 7 years old he has a 357 max in a h&R...I BOUGHT  a collaspable stock the barrel is costum built for little  ones...with a red dot scope it weights 5 lb3 oz......when he shoots it the stock is in its smallest postion...when i shoot it its in the longest postion.....it works great 4 booth of us.......jb

Offline Survivor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 04:48:51 PM »
Hey kid!  Tell me more about that screw.  I've been wondering about how the stock interfaces with the action.  I made a stopck for my 22.  Might be able to fashion smething cool for a Handi. :)  Happy new year

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 05:16:10 PM »
Hi All

Survivor:

On the fore end there is a screw that holds the fore end in place to the barrel.

All I did was order a thumb screw from Choate (they make the survivor stock) and then shorten it to fit my 223 youth.

Easy thing to do and now I dont need tools to break it apart for travel.

No biggie :D

Later
Kid