Author Topic: does carrying cause you pain?  (Read 917 times)

Offline hvacman

• Trade Count: (0)
does carrying cause you pain?
« on: August 30, 2004, 02:56:21 PM »
Does anyone out there have low back problems that is aggravated by carrying, especially mob or sob. Has anyone found any holsters that make carrying more comfortable. Carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock doesn't bother me but my weapons conceal better father back. Any Ideas other than a pocket carry?
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline Walosi

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 11:14:12 PM »
I have problems with muscle pain around the hips and lower back. Legs are partially paralyzed, and although I can walk, the muscle tension is different than normal use, and can build up to something akin to a bruise in those areas. I use the Alessi MOB with autos (S&W 3913, 4516 and SIG 220), but I WON'T carry MOB since my problems began with spinal issues. This rig is held by a single Talon clip, on the waistband and under the belt, and raked to an extreme "FBI" muzzle-rear cant, smooth side of the leather is out. The clip is positioned just behind the trigger guard, causing belt tension to hold the gun very close against the side. If I move the rig forward to about 4:30-5:00, it stays VERY flat against my side, slips just enough to keep shirt material from bunching up, and the rake is enough to keep from aggravating the muscle behind the right hip. I can still reach the gun with my left hand in that position, with a little stretch. When the condition is worse than normal, I go to a smaller gun in front of the right hip, in "appendix forward" or belly carry.

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 05:21:33 PM »
Have you ever thought of trying a "smartcarry"?

these might be a solution to your problem.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline hvacman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 05:27:48 PM »
I don't know what a smart carry is. Could you please explain for me

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:29:31 AM »
www.smartcarry.com

that is the site for them.......

they claim with a little practice that speed is not much of a problem.  I would think that could be true.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline hvacman

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 07:07:16 PM »
Bubbs w/a 45/70 thanks for the info I appreciate it. Walosi, as Bill Clinton would say I feel your pain. I don't have the severe problems you described but have been dealing with a bulging disc and arthritis in the spine for 3 years. Thanks for your input also and hope things get better for you. Hvacman

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004, 08:23:13 AM »
:cb2: I used the SOB or MOB when I first started carrying. The only pain I got was when I sat down. Sometimes, even with a jacket on, it would catch on a chair when I rose. The SOB or MOB didn't last long. (Neither did the soulder rig.)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Frank_Symptoms

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 04:51:22 AM »
I'm an overweight security guard... unarmed in present job, but I have similar problems with the back/hip pain. I've found that it comes from cinching my belt too tight!! All that stuff I gotta carry... huge key ring, radio, flashlight/knife holder, donut dispenser, they tend to carry my trousers south.
I've lately been using the Invisible Tailor. This is essentially a rubber band that goes between my uniform shirt and my trousers. It has lots of little fingers that help provide friction between garments to keep the shirt in and the trousers up.

Good luck!
A good day shooting is when my bullets group better than my brass!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: does carrying cause you pain?
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 05:28:02 AM »
Quote from: hvacman
Does anyone out there have low back problems that is aggravated by carrying, especially mob or sob. Has anyone found any holsters that make carrying more comfortable. Carrying at 3 or 4 o'clock doesn't bother me but my weapons conceal better father back. Any Ideas other than a pocket carry?

1. What type of handgun do you wish to carry?

2. Are SOB or MOB the only methods you have tried so far?

3. Open Carry or Concealed?

I'll try to help but need some more info. FWIW I carry concealed every waking moment of every day. S&W Airweight® Mdl 37.

Offline hvacman

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »
I am currently carrying a S&W 4040PD concealed. I use and IWB holster positioned from 3 o'clock on back. After several hours of walking around while I am carrying it starts to aggravate a disc problem I have. I will probably get one of S&W's airweight revolvers to save weight. I haven't tried a cross draw position as I believe it is just the weight on my waist that causes problems but I should at least try it

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
Quote from: hvacman
I am currently carrying a S&W 4040PD concealed. I use and IWB holster positioned from 3 o'clock on back. After several hours of walking around while I am carrying it starts to aggravate a disc problem I have. I will probably get one of S&W's airweight revolvers to save weight. I haven't tried a cross draw position as I believe it is just the weight on my waist that causes problems but I should at least try it

The way I interpert your reply; carrying at the 3 o'clock postition is directly over your strong side hip. That itself will have an effect on nerves to the lumbar region. If you continue to use an IWB try carrying at 4 o'clock; over your kidney, it's much more comfortable.

Offline hvacman

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 02:41:11 PM »
I have tried many positions on my right side and had problems. I just picked up a mor padded holster and will see if that at 4 oclock helps. Thanks for your suggestions

Offline chris s

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 04:24:05 AM »
try a desantis discreet hip pouch with the paddle.