Author Topic: Double barrel shotguns  (Read 965 times)

Offline etothepii

• Trade Count: (0)
Double barrel shotguns
« on: September 20, 2004, 09:01:57 AM »
Don't you think that, if they wanted to, NEF / H&R could make a realy decent side by side, or over and under shotgun? Even better, an over and onder rifle/shotgun combo. Maybe .243 over, 20 guage under, or something like that...

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 09:10:51 AM »
I'm sure they could make a lot of things if they wanted to, but its not their niche. Their niche is the inexpensive, simple single shot.

They've ventured out this year with the pump shotgun and auto 22lr, but these are made over in China and imported under their name. I don't expect they will be very successful with true NEF/H&R fans. If you want a cheap pump get a mossy 500 or a remington 870 for just a few bucks more. Also, Marlin offers some very inexpensive 22 autos if that's what you're after.

The doubles would be interesting, but would require their shop to re-tool for a whole different reciever and then theres the matter of regulating the barrels. Big change in the whole manufacturing scheme. Theres already the Savage over under rifle shotgun, and also EAA Baikal makes one that could be a decent deer rig if you wanted one.

I just also saw an add in American Hunter or American Rifleman (can't remember which) for some new brand that was being imported by Remington thats supposed to be a cheap over under and side by side line. Can't remember the name though, and theres no link on the Remington website.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 11:44:20 AM »
Spartan Gun Works by Remington - www.spartangunworks.com
In addition to O/U and S/S models they offer a single shot with chrome lined barrel and selective ejector/extractor with a suggested retail of $97 that is sure to give H&R/NEF some stiff competition. All of their models look pretty nice judging by the photos in the print adds and on their web site.  According to the copy they are going to be available at Kmart & Walmart.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:50:34 PM »
Thanks for that link Brett, they don't look bad except for that strange looking protrusion or "hook" at the back of the single shot's trigger guard. To bad they did not make it more traditionally styled like the over/under and the double's trigger guard. Perhaps that long thing can be cut off and filed smooth....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 02:42:32 PM »
MSP - I have a hunch that the trigger guard is the release lever used to open the action.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one so that I can give it a close inspection. I don't have a 20 gauge in the gun locker yet.  :wink:  If the MSP is $97 what do you think Waly-world or Kmart will be selling it for?  :?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:24:52 PM »
After looking at it again Brett I am afriad you may be correct. To bad they had to do that to it, it looks as if they made both the double and o/u with the more traditional style of action. I wonder why they put that ungainly looking release lever on the single? Oh Well for a suggested retail of $97 perhaps they had to cut all the corners they could, but butt (I am not stuttering here folks) ugly it is with that lever hanging there, my opinion only though, some might love its looks!!!  I would think depending on what their anticipated profit is and with a suggested retail of $97.00 and if Wal Mart sells them for the same price break as the H&R shotguns you can expect to pay about 25% less than the suggested retail, therefore I would guess just over $70.00....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 04:53:59 PM »
Those Spartans sound and look suspiciously like EAA Baikal. If the quality is anything like the EAA Baikal guns I've seen, then no thanks--poor blueing, poor stock finish and generally cheap feeling. I'll stick with the NEF's.

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 02:02:15 AM »
First we should discuss the name Baikal. The name is a trademark and is owned by Izhevsk Mechanisky Zavod or for short IMZ. During the USSR times, sporting guns exported from Russia were called Baikal and they were made by different factories. A factory in Russia in the USSR times was called a Zavod (or home of the people). Literally they were the home of the people the Zavod supplied: work, social events, housing, income, medicial, cultural, education, etc. Today this is gone. The Zavod is like a USA factory and today supplies work and some social things like volley ball games or contests.

You may ask how did EAA come to work with IMZ? Simple, as an engineer I saw products with a foundation that were correct. The first meetings were hard and I could write a book on the experiences. Today Baikal products are technically correct and configured mostly for the USA customers taste and are safe or safer than our competition's products. Yes we are not as pretty as some, but we say looks are only skin deep.

Want a gun to hunt or use, buy a Baikal, want a gun to hang on the wall and look at, buy the competition.

As you know today, Baikal (IMZ) is working with Remington to build the Spartan line. This working relationship complements IMZ and Remington and further proves my original thoughts that IMZ product were technically correct. To be approved to carry the Remington logo, each model must go through a series of destructive and nondestructive test. The IMZ products passed the tests and in some cases surprised the testers and IMZ engineers.

An example of how far IMZ has come is the MP153, a reasonably priced semi- auto that runs 3.5" to 2.75" 12ga. Let's just say we did this project in record time and used engineers around the world. Had we not had e-mail we could have never accomplished this project in such a short time.

In 2005 you will see many new items from IMZ including the MP221 or MR221 and the IZH18MH or IZH18MN. These two guns took a treaty amendment between the USA and Russia.

Thank you to all the Baikal fans.

(Letter from Keith B. - President of EAA)

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 02:14:03 AM »
Locking Lever:
The locking lever is a lever-like protrusion extending from the rear of the
trigger guard. The locking lever is used to break open the action to load and/or unload the shotgun. To break open the action, fully depress or squeeze the locking lever toward the stock.

This is from the PDF owners manual that can be downloaded at the site listed above. I'm entrigued and sure do want to check one of these out when they hit Wal-Mart. I would also like to have a good SxS and these look to be well built and priced and come with screw in chokes to boot. I'd like a SxS in 20 ga. with a single trigger.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 02:18:20 AM »
P.S. Thanks for posting Rogmatt - I knew you'd have the answers.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 02:47:29 AM »
Thanks for the info Rogmatt!! And lik2hunt, I have an old 20 sxs and a old 16 o/u. One configuration does interest me though, talk about nostalgia, the 16 sxs really looks interesting as long as it feels good in the hands and shoots well, screw in chokes! Great!!!....<><.... :grin:

P.S. lik2hunt, sounds like a gret dove gun to me!!! :D

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Double barrel shotguns
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »
Have the EAA SxS in 12 and 20 gauge. Wood to metal fit is not great, but that is the only complaint I have. Dead reliable with anything I have shot, ejectors work every time and tight lock-up. Real walnut on both mine, also. MY Beretta 390 has not been out of the safe the past two dove seasons.
Romans 8:38,39