Author Topic: Confused a bit....please help?  (Read 516 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Confused a bit....please help?
« on: October 01, 2004, 09:41:21 AM »
Ok, Ive been bitten by the single shot bug real bad lately.  I currently only have a 12 ga Remington 870 in my arsenal and have been looking at smaller guage NEFs to help fill in the gap.  So Ive been considering a 410 or 20ga.  Idealy I would like to add rifle bbls to the frame eventually which would require a non shotgun frame.  So I see the .410/22 versa pack and think this might be an answer, though it is a bit confusing.  I know that a rimfire frame can not be used for centerfire because of the pin.  But how then do you use the .410 bbl on this gun?  And if it is some kind of special set-up can you still get rifle bbls for it?  Im all confused here.  Worse comes to it I guess its no problem to just buy an NEF rifle later down the road and just stick with a shotgun frame to use as shotguns, but that still dont answer my question of how the heck the .410 can be used on the rimfire frame.....see my confusion?  Of course its probably a simple answer that could jump up and smack me  :grin: .
Thanks,
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 09:45:41 AM »
youre going to smack yourself in the head for not thinking of this one...

the chamber is simply offset about 1/4" low in the barrel. its still dead on right to left but low of center. this allows the centerfire shotgun firing pin to hit the rim of the .22 casing. :)
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 10:22:35 AM »
You'll have to call nef to be sure but others have reported in the past that nef will not add barrels to the versa pack frame.

Also, rifle barrels will only be added to rifle frames (sb2).

shotgun and muzzleloader barrels will be added to rifle frame (sb2), and shotgun/muzzy frames (sb1)

So if you want a rifle you'll have to get a rifle.  Then you can send in the rifle reciever for additional shotgun barrels and rifle barrels, and even a muzzleloader barrel.

Starting with a rifle frame is the most versital.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 03:03:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew it had to be something soooo simple.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 11:12:05 AM »
Add the 28 gauge to your possible choices. It's what the .410 should be, but isn't.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 01:08:44 PM »
I had printed up the BBL accessorie page from the NEF wbsite for a friend.  I couldnt believe what I had seen.  $30 for a new shotgun bbl  :eek: !  Im actually considering buying one guage (say 20 or .410) then getting the 16, 28, and the other guage I dont get the origional gun in, just because they are so cheap!  Get it all done at one time and over with.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 03:42:55 PM »
Not to dampen your enthusiasm but be prepared to tack on $10.00 shipping handling and a $15.00 fitting charge for each barrel plus whatever it cost to ship it to H&R. Still pretty cheap in the gun world but with good used toppers and pardners available at almost any pawn shop for $50.00. and new pardners at walmart for $89.00 it ain't that sweet a deal.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun