Author Topic: Been gone a while, need mould suggestions  (Read 359 times)

Offline scottnc

• Trade Count: (0)
Been gone a while, need mould suggestions
« on: September 26, 2004, 09:57:12 AM »
I'm trying to find a close copy of Meisters 405gr FN PB 45/70 bullet.  Also have the desire to shoot lead in my 35 Remmy for whitetail.  Something in a 200gr PB with a FLAT nose ala an LBT nose.  I'd like to avoid gas checks if possible.

Thanks! Scott

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 11:00:55 AM »
Take a look at the Saeco catalog and give GAR reloading a call. They (GAR) is going out of business and has a really good sale going on Saeco and Lyman moulds right now.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 11:14:01 AM »
There's a good selection of moulds in 405 grains for the .45-70.  Since I have no idea what the Meister bullet looks like, you will need to go to the MidSouth or Midway site and see if they have what you want shown. You might also see if you like the looks of Lee 459-405-HB. Several of us are using that and getting superb accuracy from it. That mould is only about $20 so it's well worth trying.

For the .35 Rem, PB would severely limit your velocity. I doubt you would be able to maintain accuracy past 1400 fps.  That's way too puny for deer hunting, imho. GCed bullets would be good to the top level of .35 Rem loads, but the pickings for moulds is pretty slim. I would suggest that you go to www.mountainmolds.com and play with their design program. Dan may even have a suggested design that will suit you.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline scottnc

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:40:20 AM »
Leftoverdj: Any idea if Saeco handles fit the Lee mould?  How fast have you been shooting the Lee bullet?  The Meister is good for 2000 using Reloader 7 if you can stand the recoil, accuracy is three shots touching at 75 yards with iron sights.  Scott