Author Topic: Topper deluxe classic available!  (Read 1027 times)

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Topper deluxe classic available!
« on: September 10, 2004, 10:47:46 AM »
Hey all,  I just talked to Sports South.  They have plenty in right now ready to ship out.  They also quoted me a price of 143.34.  I was going to wait an just order the barrel but, since they keep slipping the date when we can get them through the accessory program, I may just break down and order the whole gun.  Hard to think about turkey season when deer season opens here in 2 weeks!
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 11:55:44 AM »
Turkey,

Was that price direct from Sports South or through a dealer?

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 04:06:07 PM »
That sounds like a wal-mart price.  The first guy (mufb)to post that he'd got one said he got from walmart for $143.57. If times are tight or you don't have a good local shop by all means get one from walmart but support that little guy if you can.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »
That was the Wal-Mart price.  It may vary store to store though because they had to know what store the sale was going through to quote a price.  

As far as supporting the little guy, I will definately shop around when I do get ready to order but, my decisions are mainly based on price.  Hate to say that but, just the way it has to be with my budget.

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 10:53:35 AM »
I have had one on order at Gander Mountain for two months and still not in. So today I ordered one at Wal-Mart  for $143.34 plus Tax= $151.94. They told me it would be here Friday or Monday.

Monte

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 06:29:35 PM »
Monte...Make sure you stay on top of Wally World...They somehow lost the order I placed with them.  I ordered a Huntsman about 18 months ago and I waited a couple of weeks to call them about it.  They couldn't find anything out about it and the order was never placed with Sports South.  Needless to say that after that phone call I paid a visit to Wal-Mart and spoke to the individual that "placed" the order.  He told me that the order was placed again and that the gun would be in within a week....That time he was correct.  Just a heads up for you...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 01:50:54 AM »
Thanks WNY_Whitetailer,
If I do not here from him by Monday I will be at the store Tues. to find out what is taking so long!!! I was really wanting to take it grouse hunting this weekend but I will just have to take another one from the cabinet.

Monte

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 08:49:52 AM »
The  Topper Deluxe Classic arrived today and it is a very nice gun!! Has a very nice Walnut Stock with a good finnish. The gun was a little barrel heavy so I filled the butt stock bolt hole with #4 shot and the balance is perfect. I think I will take it to the range tomorrow and burn some powder.

Wal-Mart was a little slow on all the paperwork as they were training two new guys in sporting goods but as soon as the old pro showed up he had it done in two minutes. The Manager training the newbee's has a lot more patience than I do. They reminded me of Larry, Curly and Moe!!

Monte

Offline iwoodbutcher

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 03:30:17 PM »
I shot some skeet with the TDC today and it handled nice, shot well and DUSTED the clays.The added weight in the butt stock help a lot with the recoil as it was very pleasant to shoot. I was shooting some reloads pushing 1 1/8 oz shot at about 1250 to 1275 fps and recoil was light. Everyone at the gun club seemed to like it also.It's a keeper!

Monte

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 02:36:03 PM »
I ordered a classic yesterday and they said the back order is still 3-4 months before delivery.

Is this correct?  From the previous post it appears to not be.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »
Where did you order it from Speck? Walmart is cheap but you have to do half the work and hold their hand on anything they  can't just hand you over the counter.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 08:14:19 AM »
Quote from: Markus
Where did you order it from Speck?

I ordered it from a local gun shop called Outdoor Outfitters.  I think I am going to check with another shop on Monday.  Three months and hunting season will be over.  I was hoping to take it to Kansas pheasant hunting in November.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 04:07:44 PM »
Tried to order it at Walmart, and they said they couldn't order it because it wasn't in there computer. I even had the store manager over and he couldn't figure it out either. I had the sheet printed right off the walmart website. I'm through with Walmart. They are a bunch of morons there.

I'm taking the printout to Gander Mountain where they have a pricematch guarantee to see if I can get them to match Walmarts price. They said they could order it before but for around $165.

Offline DAD

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
20ga
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 06:05:43 PM »
I'm waiting for them to make one in 20ga. With two chokes modified and extra full.

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 02:19:49 AM »
I know that everybody is fed up with dealing with Wal-Mart, but it all depends on what you are willing to do.  I am the type of person that I like to research every aspect of something before I buy so I generally know more about something than the person selling it to me.  When you special order a gun through Wal-Mart you kinda have to have your ducks in a row.  What I did was I called Sports South to make sure the gun was in stock.  Then, since I knew they would need it, I asked them for the UPC code and the price of the gun.  When you order a gun through Wal-Mart you do it through the layaway department.  If it is a gun that the particular store you are in has never ordered they will have to enter all of the information in the computer.  Then you gun can be ordered.   I know, I know, it sounds like a pain in the butt.  To me, it is all about price, if I have to do a little more leg work than so be it.  I have never had outrageous problems dealing with my local Wal-Mart but again, I do alot of legwork before I lay my money down.  Just my  :money:

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2004, 04:23:08 AM »
Turkeyhunter,

I had printed the info directly from Walmart website which someone had posted here a while ago. It had the pricing and all the numbers. The printed form says "take this printout to the sporting goods department, and they will special order your firearm".

I even had the store manager there, noone could figure out how to order it, since it wasn't in their computer.

Was there for an hour and didn't even get it ordered--Not worth it, to me.

I'm going to see if Gander Mountain will match their price. They are usually only slightly higher than Walmart anyway, and they know what they are doing.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 05:55:02 AM »
What a bunch of cretans. Gander Mt shouldn't be too far off in price. The people in the lay away department could probably have gotten it done. That's who eventually got the versapac I recently bought ordered. I hate walmart the people that might try to help are generaly incompetant and most of them don't care enough to help. The worst part is that I shop there all the time, Price and convenience is the only thing they got going. If Gander is way more try taking the UPC to the lawaway dept. They are the ones that actually place the order.