Author Topic: Canoes for deer?  (Read 589 times)

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
Canoes for deer?
« on: September 21, 2004, 02:02:12 PM »
Has anyone here every hunted deer out of a canoe? Have you used a canoe to hunt or just to get into a back country area to get away from the crowds?

I have always fantasized about such a hunt but it seems that I never get around to doing such a hunt.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Canoes for deer?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 03:47:47 PM »
The most fun canoe hunting I've had, is on the Oswegatchie River at the
mouth of Cranberry Lake at wanakeena, In the Adarondack Mts of NY.
The beauty of the experience is that it is on public land.. Primitive camping is allowed. I don't get deer each trip, and it's an upstream paddle, but for me seclusion with friends, and my sons is like gold.
Grab a map and go over!!!

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Canoes for deer?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 01:46:14 PM »
I hunt from a canoe every year along the Flambeau River in northern Wisconsin to get away from other hunters. As a result I go all season and don't see another hunter, and many seasons I don't see a deer neither. However it is very tough going when the river is full of ice, and dangerous too. Also, there are less deer way back in the woods these days with all the cabin baiting near the roads. I don't camp outside in November so I paddle back out every day. So give it a try, but it isn't for everyone.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Canoes for deer?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 03:23:51 AM »
I`ve had the same fantasies and have attempted it for deer & moose.  I`ve also been on the Oswegatchie from Inlet to beyond High Falls as well as many other trips.  I`ve seen many deer on my canoe trips, but so far none during deer season.
Last year I bought another canoe with this in mind; A 16` Old Town Royalex.  I figure the Royalex is indestructible and quiet, and 16` is manageable with 1 or 2 paddlers.

Offline Mattkc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Canoes for deer?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:50:42 PM »
I have deer hunted my times from a canoe but it is DANGEROUS I have clamp on floats that give extra stability.  It would be a good idea to practice shooting from a canoe when the waters warmer.  The guy that designed my floats did so after a buddy went duck hunting in a canoe and didn't make it back.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Canoes for deer?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 12:55:44 AM »
I've taken a canoe into some public hunting areas that would have taken quite an extensive hike to get in and out. It worked great, and there wasn't much pressure on the deer in there. BTW, a field dressed deer can make quite a mess in the bottom of your boat. Bring a tarp.