Author Topic: Need Help With 1911 Purchase  (Read 746 times)

Offline nacra_racer

• Trade Count: (0)
Need Help With 1911 Purchase
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:24:49 PM »
Hello all,
 I am new to the list but need some very good advice. I have in the past owned a few handguns, EAA Witness and S&W 40 and some les more desirable handguns. I am moving into the country and at this time can now own a "low grade 1911". I am a peace officer so this is a handgun that I will both carry and use for home defense. There are SO many low end 1911's out there that I don't know what to do. I have been searching the web for three days now looking for the "best" .45 1911 that I can find for under 420.00. The best so far is a Springfield GI .45. But after reading the reviews it looks as if the RIA for 310.00 is the best. The you've got Charles Daly, EAA, SA, Armscor, Llama and on and on for all about the same price.
 PLEASE HELP. I'm about to go mad! I want a 1911 full size and would like it to be in stainless but I would also like the extended beavertail safety, light trigger and the best bang for the buck.
 I need to buy with the week.

Toby

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 01:07:45 PM »
Well, you asked for advice and I'll give it to you. Buy a Colt if you can find one! That is as "Low end" as I would go. I've owned a LLama and Springfield Armory and wouldn't have either one over a Colt. My Commander in 38 Super will feed as fast as I can pull the trigger and with an extended magazine release, it would be the perfect duty weapon in my opinion aka...$h!t storm. I personally think that the 1911 is one helluva handgun and I applaud your choice. The only other 1911 pistols that I would choose over the Colt is a Kimber or a Les Baer.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »
Go to Pawn shops and get to know the staff.  Ask some of your coworkers and they may be able to get you a good deal on a slightly used model.  It all depends on the prices these things are going for in your area and how many gun nuts are cruising the shops.  The online auctions will tell you the average prices for shape and brands and you can usually beat them IF the shops have a lot in inventory.  - Big IF there.

You do need to get familiar with what you want so you can determine if it is in good condition.  Like - hold the gun pointed down, use your thumb and press down on the chamber area of the barrel to see how tight a 1911 locks up, etc.  It is easier to ask someone and have them show you rather than write it out.  Beware the self styled experts!  And buyer beware.

I really like the AMT FULL size 1911's.  That said - I found a Colt Series 70 nickled that came home for $300 after searching for 6 years.  Be patient if you want to play the pawn shop game.

I wish you luck and you made a good decision -
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:43:24 AM »
I personally have owned a couple of Springfields and liked both of them. A Mil Spec and an ultra compact. Nothing bad to say about either. I think a mil spec or G I would be a good place to start then with a few Wilson parts and a little tinkering you will have a good pistol that will give good service. I absolutely would stay away from an extended mag release though for a carry gun. Too much danger of accidentally putting pressure on it in the holster and dumping you mag. I personally dont like ambidextrous safetys for a carry gun either for the same reason. Too easy to rub it on something and knock it to  the off position.
 J M H O  :D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Stillhuntn

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 04:18:53 AM »
You will not be going wrong with a Springfield.  Tight guns, shoot good and moderately priced.  There are times I wish I would have bought a Springfield instead of the Kimber ultra.  Just my 2 cents.
Rick
Lord, grant me the ability to speak soft words today for tomorrow
I may have to chew up and swallow these words.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 05:36:14 AM »
nacra_racer:  my vote goes to Springfield.  Got one of their GI 45s and love it.  Tweaked it with Chip McCormick parts and an Ed Brown barrel and she turns 2" at 25 yds with hardball.  Got an older Commander that has received (or benefitted from) its own Ed Brown Barrel and now pistols both shoot into 2" at 25 yds.  Both are totally reliable.  I couldn't ask for more.  

Springfield sells 1911s that are already set up and my experiences with my personal GI and others I have fired have all been very positive.

I prefer the 45 acp caliber but FLASH has his point with his 38 Super Commander.  I like the 38 Super caliber and have used it a number of times over the past 30 years.  Now, just for schmidts and giggles, I recently saw an add in the latest Shotgun News for complete 38 Super tops (barrels, sights, et all), for a hair under 2 bills - get one of those for your new 1911 and you will have more choices to shoot and play with than most fellas.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Somerled

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:43:34 AM »
Of those you named, I'd pick the Springfield. It would be a good platform for customization later. I also like the Colt 1991A1, but it costs more than $420.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
President Theodore Roosevelt, San Francisco, Calif., May 13, 1903

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 10:04:06 AM »
I'd stay away from "Mil Spec" anything. The sights are too small to be really useful for duty use, as are the controls. For $420 you have eliminated most of the entry level quality guns. I'd stay away from the Llamas & used 1911s as well. That leaves two choices. My first choice would be a Dan Wesson, the second would be a Charles Daley. I don't know for sure if either of these are still under $450 though. A lot of departments won't allow single action autos. You might take a look at the Rugers in 45ACP, they're a heck of a deal for the money!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline nacra_racer

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 10:15:04 AM »
Thanks for everyone's information. Great stuff.
 A few questions though. First of all I have read some bad stuff about Charles Daly's, but it looks like a good weapon. I was just told I can get a KBI Charles Daly 1911Al out the door for 369.00
 Also, why do departments no like single action weapons. Having never owned a 1911 isn't this something that I would carry cocked and locked?
 And, I was also told I could get a Llama Max 1 out the door for 250.00. That is one I'm really not sure about because you never hear much about them. Of all of the reviews I've read about the RIA it really sounds good for the money but I'm sure I could "tweak" a Springer a lot easier.
 One other option, Smith & Wesson M4506. 400.00 out the door.
 Oh, and then there's Armscor. My god so many of them with NO prior 1911 knowledge.

Offline nacra_racer

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 11:53:17 AM »
I'm creating a new thread. Daly vs. RIA. These are the two I want to choose from

Toby

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »
Colt!
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Savage

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 12:09:33 PM »
nacra racer,
Are you currently in LE or just starting? Most agencies don't allow single action autos because of the cocked and locked thing. The manual of arms is quite different from the traditional DAs or DAOs. The SA is usually considered as more appropriate for highly experienced users. There is also a liability issue that most departments don't want to address with the SA. As you are not familiar with the SA, I would reccomend a DA as a first duty gun. Sounds like you already have one of those. Then buy a 1911 like the RIA or Springfield for range use. Get all the training you can get. When you can utilize the 1911 safely and effectively you can transition to it as your duty gun. You can also buy aftermarket parts to make your basic 1911 more useful as you can afford them. The 4506 sounds like a good option till then as well. I am fortunate to work for a dept that allows those of us with a great deal of experience with 1911s to carry them as duty weapons. I rotate between a Kimber Classic Target in SS, a Glock 21, & a Tanfoglio 10mm. Just depends on uniform and whim! I'm a lucky guy!!  Good luck in your decisions!!
Savage

Offline nacra_racer

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 12:18:12 PM »
Savage,
 I think that I have mislead you. I work for the dept. of corrections and are NOT allowed to carry a duty weapon unless you are outside the perimeter of the prison and then you are required to carry the favorite S&W .38 revolver. I am sorry if I mislead you.
 But I am curious, what is wrong with the cocked and locked issue? Is it a visual issue or a liability because "maybe" the locked position became "unlocked"? I will be wearing this weapon in the small of my back on my property and also when I am out and about in town.
 I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Toby

Offline IntrepidWizard

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 12:33:53 PM »
I have only owned and carried Colt 1911"s until my CGP and had a Bob Chow'ed hard chromed one and I still have it and the one before and the one I brought back.The CGP cannot be surpassed.
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 12:36:55 PM »
narca racer,
As I mentioned I frequently carry 1911s in class "A" uniform or civilian clothes. On more than one occasion I have had people approach me and politely tell me my pistol was cocked. I politely tell them thanks, and explain that that's the way the pistol is designed to be carried. It's a matter of perception, a visibly cocked weapon scares the bejesus out of people that are unfamiliar with the 1911. ironically the same person thinks nothing of carrying a 870 around with a chambered round and the safety on. It's just as cocked as my 1911, be they can't see the hammer!
Back to the 1911s. A couple years ago I bought a compact SS Charles Daley 1911. The gun has been flawless in it's operation, and as accurate as I am with a gun that size. This may not be typical of all Charles Daleys, but that's the case with mine. I have heard nothing but good things about the RIA. Now that I better understand how you plan to use your 1911, it sounds like a good choice to me. It is my understanding that it is a standard spec 1911. That means that the majority of aftermarket parts out there will work. Don't overlook Chip McCormic aftermarket parts. They are higher quality than their price would indicate!
You'll have a good time modifing your 1911 to suit your individual needs.
Let us know what you decide on, and good shooting!
Savage

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 02:10:38 PM »
Have a Springfield Mil. Spec and Springfield Ultra Compact. Couldn't be happier with them. They both shoot better than I can. Chip McCormick mags from CTD for about $11. and they have performed flawlessly. Gunsmith at my local shop says RIA will take all the aftermarket parts. Local pawn shop/sporting goods store had the full size RIA for $320. NIB last week. Shop around and there are some deals to be had. Good luck.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline nacra_racer

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 02:14:32 PM »
Savage,
 SO, more or less it is the visual "thing" about carrying a cocked weapon. But with a single action weapon this is a must for speed. Don't want to look at a snake, rabid dog (we all loose it when something takes over our body), bear or harmful person and say...."wait a sec, I need to cock my weapon".
 Your information has been VERY good. I appriciate all of your replies. I Wish that I knew more about the CD vs. the RIA. But for the money it looks as if the CD has a lot more features for the money. More bang for the buck.

Thanks again,
Toby

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 07:32:36 AM »
On the "Cocked & Locked" problem, it's only a problem if it concerns work.  Police Administrators are notoriously paranoid about a gun that isn't idiot-proof.  It's the same reason you and I are both limited to 38 Revolvers. :evil:  Cocked and locked is not for everyone, but those with enough training and experience have no problems with the manual of arms needed for such a gun.  When I once suggested our dept switch to SA 45's, my chief looked at me like I'd just dropped my brain on the floor.  The lawyers have scared the bejesus out of everyone over "potential liability" so bad they're afraid to issue good ammo anymore.  If it doesn't have a long, mushy trigger stroke, they are afraid of it.  The sad fact is, many departments don't trust their own officers, and don't realize how vital good training is.

I miss the good old days when cops were cops and bad guys were afraid of them!  These days the perps are arrogant, and the cops are afraid of upsetting anyone, lest they write a "Dear Chief" letter.   :eek:

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?