Author Topic: H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Questions  (Read 1341 times)

Offline AFISHN

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Questions
« on: October 09, 2004, 04:29:56 AM »
Newbie here of about 5 minutes.SO I POSTED ELSEWHERE ON THE OTHER FORUMS IN ERROR--JUST UNFAMILIAR WITH THE SITE NOT IMPATIENT!
Great site.Need some advice.

Just bought a NEW H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20 GA rifled shotgun for my 15 yr old son.This single shot is suppose to be very accurate.The trigger is fairly difficult to pull back.

Also:The 3 shot pattern (3 times)off a bench rest was consistent at 5-6" at 100 yds.With a vg scope and an experience shooter(me).In my opinion--- this is very unacceptable.Used Lightfield Slugs.Anyone out there know about this gun and can enlighten me.

What's really ticking me off is that I called the suggested Customer service # for H&R(Yes I have the correct #) 3 separated times during the day yesterday and let the phone ring 10-15 times each time during the day.NOBODY EVER PICKED UP THE TELEPHONE AND NO VOICE : MAIL.WUZ UP HERE? :xAre they still in business.?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 05:04:52 AM »
np problem, what number did you call? It seems some people may have been taking a long holiday weekend....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 05:55:12 AM »
Afishn,

How does the gun group up close, say 25yds, then 50yds?

I can tell you that my 12ga is very accurate with both Lightfields and Partion Golds. Can't put a good group down with Remingtons. Try some different brands. Most of these guns have been reported to be very accurate.

As to the trigger pull, you can send it in to NEF for a free factory trigger job if it pulls heavy. I believe the threshold is more than 5lbs as measured at the factory. There is also a link somewhere on this board on how to do the trigger job yourself. I don't have it handy but I believe the title is "another fine mess" or something of that nature. You can probably find it under the NEF Rifle Board. Probably too late to send it in for this year, but the home job is pretty straight forward.

I am also assuming everything is ok with your scope setup? Scope, screws tight, etc.

These guns are also very finicky about how they are shot from the bench. If you're using sand bags, put them under the reciever or close to the recevier, not under the forearm. There is also a trick to float the barrel by placing an o-ring or thick rubber gasket between the forearm and the stock bolt lug. The screw must then be tightened the exact same number of turns each time.

Finally, is the barrel good and clean? Sabots are very finicky about a clean barrel. When I'm shooting for groups, I usually swab the bore after every shot with a bore snake to remove the fouling. Otherwise, groups fall apart quick.

Do a search under "accurizing" on the Rifle Board for more details.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »
afishn, you might try an e-mail to them at hr1871@hr1871.com ....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 02:32:17 PM »
you need to try some other brands my 20 ga ultra shoots Federal 3 in Hydra- shok around 2 in at 100 yards  Win. partion gold are 3 in at 50 yards Rem.copper solid 1.5 at 50 didn't shoot the Win or Rem at 100. each gun is different

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 03:38:27 AM »

these slugguns are good shooters.this is mine,its a nef rifle frame fitted with a 20ga ultraslug barrel.i have a 2 lb trigger on this gun also a Simmons 2.8-10 Aetec scope.the scope is a little more than you need on a shotgun but i like the Aetecs 5 inchs of eye releaf and the big field of veiw on 2.8 power.that added power sure helps when shooting on paper too.im sure if you try some differant slugs things will tighten up some for you.try some Federal Barnes Expander slugs out of that new gun.also some Winchester partition slugs,mine shoots these 1900 fps slugs real good.Lightfields shoot good also but i dont care for them myself for hunting.i live in the shotgun zone here in Michigan and have owned and used many slugguns.the ultraslugs are great guns and i will put mine up against any of them out there

Offline AFISHN

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:29:50 AM »
Thanks for the great advice guys.I bought some different brands of slugs,checked  all my mount screws(OK),scrubbed up the trigger housing,and will  clean the barrell every other shot.I found interesting that where one rests the gun could effect  the grouping.

TESTING THIS AM WILL POST RESLTS

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :wink:

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 05:08:28 AM »
inconsistant pressure on the forrearm goes directly to the barrel via the mounting lug. the oring trick should help this, but if its resting mostly on the receiver, you cant get any pressure on the barrel. this is of concern for shooting groups, but shouldn't affect hunting accuracy that much. just try not to rest the barrel itself on a rest while hunting.

Offline AFISHN

H&R
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 03:08:29 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.I'm afraid I may have a "lemon".
Thanks for the great input!!
With all sorts of ammo,frequent cleaning,AND different shooters,the gun doesn't group better than 4.5" at 100yds.

The problem MAY be the trigger which requires a lot of force to pull back(in my opinion and 2 other good shooters).The real problem is that the customer service at H&R hasn't gotten back to me in 10 days.I have  e mailed them (2 times)and called them several times--and left messages>ZERO replies.

Everyone is busy at this time of the year,but there is no excuse for extreme rudeness.

At the end of the season I will ship the gun to NEF for an assessment and a definite trigger job!

Offline jeff223

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 03:26:21 AM »
i never did read what scope you have on your gun?what power?if you have a low power scope on her you might not shoot any smaller groups with your gun.what did the test target look like that came with your gun ?how small of group can you shoot at 50yds?with a shotgun shooting a 4.5 inch group at 100yds you will be able to shoot any deer you want out to 150yds if you hold on the center of their chest.there are guns that shoot tighter than yours  but 4.5 inch groups are not that bad for a shotgun. a trigger job will help some too.a good smith or NEF can fix you up as far as a trigger job

(another thing)
dont over clean your gun.if you have oil in the bore from cleaning and for storage yu should shoot one shot into the bank for a fouling shot.this cleanes the oil out.once you have done this then shoot for your group.these arnt muzzle loaders where you need to keep the fouling cleaned from your barrel.i think your sluggun can and will shoot better but  maybe you havnt found the right slug yet for it.keep trying

(one more thing)
be concerned about your first shot out of a cold barrel.if this first shot goes to the point of aim you have a good gun.this is your kill shot.it doesnt matter much how the gun groups after that. a cold barrel shooter is what a hunter wants.you never said how many shoots you are shooting at the range at one time.if you are shooting 15 or 20 shoots per outing and the gun is holding a 4.5 inch group at 100 yds after all those shots you have a very good one.