Author Topic: lyman 4500 bullet press  (Read 599 times)

Offline Doc Contender

• Trade Count: (0)
lyman 4500 bullet press
« on: September 16, 2004, 12:43:32 PM »
Does anyone use one. How well do they work.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
lyman 4500 bullet press
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 02:51:56 AM »
I used a 450 for 25 years and still use it some. A couple years ago the handle broke and I replace it with the new style handle and linkage.

The 4500 will serve well. It's not fast and the bullet ram can allow some unwanted motion but mine sized and lubed bullets that took game and won matches so no real complaints here.
Joshua 1:9

Offline frank l jr

sizer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »
hey doc,
     i've used the lymans, do yourself a favor, invest in a Star(Magma), as they are the cadallic of the line, are at least twice as fast, and do a great job, wheather seating gas checks or not. i've used one for many years, after fooling around with the lymans, have never regreated it. at least go to the R C B S or theSeaco(spelling??) as  these are better, just not as good as the Star, now made by Magma. these i offer as one mans oppinion, but with a fair amount of experience wit them.   thanks  frank
  p s . the Star is one way push through, not a push down, then push back up, like the others. super enginering

see ya :grin:  :grin:

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Do yourself a favor,...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 09:14:22 AM »
if you are not going to get a Star then get an RCBS.I have a 4500,gonna sell it pretty darn quick!
John 3:16

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
lubricator/sizers
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 06:53:20 PM »
I've got a Lyman 45, a Lyman 450, two Lymans 4500's, two Magma Star's, an RCBS and a SAECO.  I like the new Lyman.

Offline flintski

lyman 4500 bullet press
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 04:51:16 AM »
how can you tell what the differences are in the lymans?

oh, btw, i like my rcbs sizer.

thank, flint
Don't shoot ugly guns/////

Offline R J Talley

• Avid Poster
lyman 4500 bullet press
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 03:16:24 PM »
The Lyman 45 is a very old press dating to the 1940s and 50s. Its length of travel is almost too short for long Postel type bullets.  Also, since the leverage is applied to just one side of the press and it's done through a very small diameter connecting rod, it simply will not hold up to heavy sizing.  The 450 was a completely new design. It looks more like the RCBS unit (I believe RCBS copied the Lyman) but, unlike the RCBS, the linkage that drives the press ram and the ejector is flat bar stock and rather prone to side to side lateral shifting. Also, the ram tends to be a tad loose in its housing. The newer 4500 is slightly stronger but still uses the old flat bar linkage. What has changed is that the actuator handle has a better grip and terminates in a ball rather than the old style round handle with a plastic handle bar style grip. It seems that the leverage has been increased as well. The final difference is that the 4500 press is drilled at the base for an insertable heating element (extra cost accessory). The 4500 can be purchased through cabalas for around $95.00. The RCBS unit will run you around $125.00 +/-  There are differences in the way the RCBS and Lyman unit seal in the lube as well and you will notice that the Lyman 4500 still uses a ratchet mechanism to increase lube pressure where RCBS has gone to a rather functional but pedestrian T-Bar handle.
R J Talley
James Madison Fellow/NRA Member/Quail Unlimited