Author Topic: Calling Tactics  (Read 524 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Calling Tactics
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:20:21 PM »
Most of us had our first day of archery a week ago...when you guys were out in pursuit of that big ol' buck...did you try bleats and grunts and if so were they effective? Any input would be appreciated. Thanx!  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Calling Tactics
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 03:59:04 PM »
I don’t have much faith in calls except for rattling with some soft grunts used sparingly certain times of the season. I know several people who credit their calls for bringing in game and if it works for them I’m all for it. Seems like the only times I hear deer make sounds is either when they are blowing or either a young fawn bleats for his mother. I’ve also heard grunting while two deer fought and I’ve been grunted at while walking out of the woods after dark. All in all though, I feel like deer are very silent animals and to sit in one stand and grunt or bleat several times through the course of a hunt doesn’t seem realistic to me. I’ve used them when does were in the field to see if it spooks them. I’ve never had one leave but I’ve never had one pay it much attention either. Maybe I need lessons :? .

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Siskiyou

Calling Tactics
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 04:21:20 PM »
I had a large buck in my back yard a couple of years ago grunting.  He had been drawn in by a couple of forks fighting.  He started walking towards them grunting, and blowing steam out of his nose and mouth.  They took off on the run and he spent the rest of the ruling the does in the yard.  Frankly I was impressed.  That guy had "Command Presents." I stayed up on my deck.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline JPSaxMan

Calling Tactics
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 04:57:42 PM »
I would have too. Might have rammed ya in places we won't mention... :)  :-D . I suppose you have a viable point there Scott, now I just have to wait for more info!! :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
Fawn bleets for Blacktails
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 07:40:32 PM »
Out here in the brushy rainforests of Oregon one method of hunting Blacktail deer is to glass clear cut logging areas where the deer are plentiful but hard to spot.  A fawn bleat will often get bedded deer to stand and quite often move so that they are more visible.  I've had deer come charging in to investigate the fawn bleet but they are just as likely to go in some other direction.  The important thing is that they react and become more visible.  The second buck I ever got was a nice four point with eyeguards (western count) that came moseying up a canyon one evening after I had been making a racket with the fawn bleet trying to get a doe  I could see  out of her bed.

The latter part of the season here is during the rut and if a doe reacts to the bleet there is sometimes a buck that will be following her when she moves.  

I've tried a grunt call on occasion but not enough to say if it would work on deer out here, but my brother=in-law says they have worked in the past for him.
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
Calling Tactics
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 01:31:10 AM »
I have found calls to be a hit or miss thing. A deer has to be in hearing distance of the call first and then has to pay attention to it and either react or not react. I have bleated at does milling around in front of me at distances between 30 and 50 yards and had them not even look my way.
I have also had them come right in to the call. One thing I know is that NO call will bring deer to you like the ADVERTIZERS want you to believe. :-)