Author Topic: New here... Need help chosing a gun!  (Read 575 times)

Offline BoneDigger

• Trade Count: (0)
New here... Need help chosing a gun!
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:28:11 AM »
Here's the deal.  I am interested in bying a H&R Ultra Slug gun in 20 gauge.  However, I like the idea of being able to switch out the barrel and have a .270 or .243 when I want it.  What gun would I have to buy in order to use the extra barrel option?  Can I just buy a Ultra Slug and get a new barrel from H&R?

Or, would it be best just to have the Ultra Slugger and then buy a new rifle later?

Lastly, any problems buying these guns from WalMart?  Would I be better suited to get one from agun shop for $20-$50 more?

I appreciate any input.

Todd

Offline turkeyhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 09:39:42 AM »
Todd,
In order to do what you want to do, you will have to go the other way around.  You can put a shotgun barrel on a rifle frame but not the other way around.  What you would have to do is buy the rifle and then send it in to get the shotgun barrel.
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 12:58:49 PM »
the 12 ga ultra slug gun is on an sb-2 frame so you should be able to get rifle barrels fitted to it.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 04:06:23 PM »
Single Shot Shooter is incorect on this one. The sb-2 shotgun frome can only be fitted with 10ga and 12ga ultra slug barrels. I know it's confusing but the sb2 shotgun receivers are different from the sb2 rifle recievers. You can get any barrel except 10ga and 12ga ultra slug on an sb2 rifle reciever. You can get any shotgun and ml barrel on a sb1 receiver. Buy your rifle 1st then send it back for the 20ga ultra barrel. As long as you know how to lead them through every step of the ordering process wal mart is a little cheaper. If you can afford the extra buy it from a little guy. If you really can't afford it and need some help post up again or do a search here about walmart.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 04:25:53 PM »
what they need to do is make all the recievers sb-2 so you dont have all this confusion. and you can have any barrel you want fitted to it.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 05:09:03 PM »
Bonedigger, I'ld go with the rifle first then add the slug barrel to be on the safe side.   As far as Waly-World goes I think a lot has to do with the area where you live.  I just special ordered and purchased a gun at my local Waly-World here in NC and it went smooth as silk.  The guys behind the counter were obviously hunters and knew guns and also knew the paper work and Waly-World procedures.  In fact the guy that took the order didn't even have to look up Sport South's phone number to check on the availability of the gun I wanted, he knew it from memory.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 05:10:26 PM »
I dont know why they didn't give the 10ga receiver a different designation like sb3 or something since it is unique to the 10ga and 12ga ultra which is made from a 10ga blank.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline BoneDigger

Thanks guys...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 04:22:35 AM »
OK, so I guess the most logical course of action would be to buy a Handi-Rifle in .270 and then send the gun (minus the barrel) to H&R for a 20 gauge slug barrel.  I live in Tyler, TX and I'm not overly impressed with the knowledge of the local staff in the Sporting Goods Dept.  However, there is a Gander Mountain only an hour away, and they price match so maybe I could get it there.

One more question...  I have never shot one of these single shot guns.  Is the recoil approximately the same as with a regular shotgun/rifle shooting the same ammunition?  Also, I would assume that cocking the gun would be slightly more noisy than simply using a safety.  The old H&R 16 gauge that I had as a child could be cocked while pressing the trigger and wouldn't make noise.  Can these be done the same way?

Oh yeah, one more question...  If I have two barrels, one slug and one rifle and had a scope mounted to each, I presume that since the scope is mounted to the barrel that you could interchange the two without re-sighting every time.  Is this the case or do you find that the scope will be off just a little after changing barrels?

Sorry for all the questions but this seems too good to be true.  A slug gun and a .270 for less than the cost of a bolt action .270 and much less than the cost of a new pump or auto slug gun!!!

Todd

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 04:29:45 AM »
You shouldn't need to re-sight them if they are mounted tight and proper.

I don't find that the hammer is very noisy at all. It's actually quieter than the safety on some of my repeaters.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 04:44:43 AM »
Don't worry about the noise cocking the hammer. It can be done silently with a little practice.  I have watched many bolt action hunters just push the safety off making a metallic click. Guess nobody taught them how to move safety without noise. (I can't stand metallic sounds when hunting :grin: ) I had to practice "silent safety" over and over until it became second nature before I could hunt. (Dad's rule).
You can cock the hammer by pulling the trigger back and holding it while you pull the hammer back. When the hammer is ALL the way back HOLD it and release the trigger. Then EASE the hammer forward a bit until it catches. Now you are good to go.  With a bolt gun hold the safety between two fingers and push slowly. DO NOT touch the trigger on this one.

Offline hunter01

Re: New here... Need help chosing a gun!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »
Quote from: BoneDigger
Here's the deal.  I am interested in bying a H&R Ultra Slug gun in 20 gauge.  However, I like the idea of being able to switch out the barrel and have a .270 or .243 when I want it.  What gun would I have to buy in order to use the extra barrel option?  Can I just buy a Ultra Slug and get a new barrel from H&R?

Or, would it be best just to have the Ultra Slugger and then buy a new rifle later?

Lastly, any problems buying these guns from WalMart?  Would I be better suited to get one from agun shop for $20-$50 more?

I appreciate any input.

Todd
Hi Todd, I have a 20 & 12 Slugster and in my opinion I would buy a 12 slugster throw a good scope on it and call it good.  Keep then gun as a shotgun only.  By doing so I think you'll be closer to the gun and understand it better.  They're cheep and affordable anyway. Just my opinion.  I get uncomfortable when I'm changing barrels.  When you buy your slugster H&R you will have bought the best gun of your life.  Sight in with gun vice at 100 yards with low wind conditions.  Buy a nice range finder and use the 1900 fps loads and you'll take deer at up to 200 yards.  Good Luck!
E-mail Ublyhunter@comcast.net