Author Topic: Need Help With Proper Loading Technique For Ruger Old Army  (Read 550 times)

Offline Yukon Gold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Need Help With Proper Loading Technique For Ruger Old Army
« on: October 13, 2004, 06:09:39 AM »
Just purchased a Ruger Old Army to expand my horizon with ball and cap.  Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about the proper loading technique of the Ruger Old Army (or any other ball and cap for that matter).

General stuff like sequence, wads, lubes etc. - basic how to load, safety.

Does anyone have a link etc. that I can go to find this information?

A "Dummies Guide to Ball and Cap" - that's what I need!

Thanks
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline DakotaDan

Need Help With Proper Loading Technique For
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 08:36:51 AM »
A great source of information are the superb, informative posts of GATOFEO, a member of this list. Check the current list and archived list for topics & responses written by Gatofeo and you will get more than sufficient information to answer your questions. I might suggest that you also print some of his dissertations on loading and care of cap n' ball revolvers for reference at home and on the range.
-d

Offline Yukon Gold

• Avid Poster
Thanks - helped a lot
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:45:22 AM »
Good suggestion - found a lot of stuff to read.  Printed a lot out last night.

Regards,
Vegetarian - An Old Indian Word For Lousy Hunter

NRA Life Member
SASS - Silverback
NCOWS
Navy Vet. - USNA 83

Offline Flint

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Need Help With Proper Loading Technique For
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:45:36 PM »
ahem ... Gatofeo patiently waits with his hand out for his tip ...  :-D

Actually, I'm rather flattered that I was mentioned right off the bat --- and it wasn't even preceded by "... that nasty, ugly, smell, grumpy ol cat ..."
Yep, I like to pass on what I learn, and learn from others.
When I started with cap and ball revolvers about 1970, the only source of info was Dixie Gun Works, a chapter in the later Elmer Keith's book, "Sixguns" and the Lyman Reloading Manual.
Dixie's information was okay. Keith turned me on to the use of greased felt wads. And much of Lyman's information I later found to be outdated or just plain wrong (it recommended automotive grease over the ball, which is shunned anymore because it tends to make black powder fouling hard and tarry).
So, over the course of a few days I wrote that article concerning how to properly load a cap and ball revolver. I've posted it on at least a dozen gun and reloading sites, and everyone seems happy with it.
Some disagree. One guy said that he used automotive grease and didn't have any fouling or cleanup problems. To each his own.
Anyway, enjoy my posts. That's what's so great about these message boards, everyone shares and everyone learns.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."