Author Topic: S&W Sigma 40ve  (Read 611 times)

Offline tjf76

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
S&W Sigma 40ve
« on: September 18, 2004, 03:22:27 AM »
Just picked one up Cheap. Going to shoot in today!. The doa only trigger feels heavy but will probley give some after shooting. Could I get some feedback on these?. I have seen ALOT of bad stuff about these pistols
out there, whats up with that?   :?:

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
S&W Sigma 40ve
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 05:32:33 PM »
In another life I witnessed a S&W rep shoot a round with only a primer to deliberetly cause a barrel obstruction.  He then put a full charged round in and fired the gun.  The barrel was buldged but there was no other apparent damage.  I do not recall the number of times he said he had done this with the same gun.  It was, however, not the first time.  I should note that this weapon was a 9MM.  Glock sued and won over patent infringements.  I believe it is the gun of choice of the MN DNR and some suburban depts. here in MN.  I don't think S&W could compete with the "deals" Glock was offering.  This probably was due to the fact that S&W was too diversified (revolvers, and two million varieities of autos, clothing, etc.)   I think it is at least as good as the Glock and I like the grip better.  This in no way is to knock the Glock.  I still have the original M17 I bought many yrs ago.  I have never owned and probably never will own a Sigma.  (unless the deal is too good)
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline Dutch Canyon Red

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.dutchcanyonred.com
S&W Sigma 40ve
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 08:44:52 PM »
tjf76,
I have two of the slightly more expensive version (SW40F) and have never had a bit of trouble with either one. I like them because the grip feels better to my hand than the Glock. The trigger feels a bit different at first but you'll get used to it.... just don't expect it to feel like a 4 lb. 1911 trigger.
"Heat 'em up"....
Dutch Canyon Red
SASS #16531

Red's Stagecoach

Offline Holiday

• Contributor
    • http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-holidayhayes
S&W Sigma 40ve
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 01:28:15 PM »
They are good guns. I saw a couple at the local toy store recently, brand new, for just under $300. Much of the sour grapes about the pistol comes from Glock owners who payed WAY more for their guns.
Holiday Hayes
Darksider, Gunfighter
"Just a simple Cowboy, tryin' ta git along"

Offline hoplophile

Sigma SW40's
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 05:26:30 PM »
I'm glad I finally found a site that had something more to say about this gun than that it's a P.O.S.

I bought an SW40V a few years back for $225.00 that came with 2/10 rd mags and was in the original box all complete. It's in the mid-range of serial #'s, so many of the problems people describe seem to have been worked-out before this one was produced.

My original intent was to have my wife use it because it's so simple to operate, but I recently became interested in it myself.

There were a few feeding problems while breaking it in, until I dremel-polished the feed ramp and chamber mouth as well as keeping the rails, etc lightly lubed.

Since then (Mostly this past month) I've fired about 800 of various factory rounds and several types of my own reloads with nary-a-jam. (Lead and jacketed)

The only problem I have now is that it tends to pop a lot of the shells off my forehead or the top. This isn't a limp-wristing problem, because I've tried about every kind of gripping scenario and squeezing it 'til my hand turns white, to no avail. Right now I'm checking the ejector/extractor possibilities.

Overall, I can't really complain, since it's pretty accurate for the trigger-pull,  and that it now has full-cap mags, and packs well.

I started carrying this one in lieu of my beloved 1911 .45 because of the weight/size comparison and the 14 rd / .40 cal. firepower.

It also has to be about the safest pistol I've ever owned. (With that trigger pull, there's no way it'll ever go off without me wanting it to.)

Just my $.02

HP