Author Topic: Sighting in Problems ULtra Slug hunter  (Read 501 times)

Offline BC73

• Trade Count: (0)
Sighting in Problems ULtra Slug hunter
« on: October 17, 2004, 02:01:10 PM »
I took my Ultra Slug hunter to the range this weekend with my brother, who is a much better shot than I. Anyways, before we went I bore sighted my scope and had it aligned with the crosshairs with the boresighter to get me on paper. Kind of odd, because I had to max out my windage all the way to the left to align the cross hairs. Anyways, I took out about $100 worth of different slugs, Lightfields, Winchesters Partition golds, Win platinum tips, Remington Core loct's etc... My first shots we're at the 50 yard range using Remington slugs, was no wheres on paper, tryed light fields, same deal. I checked my boresighter and now my cross hairs were'nt even aligned at all! infact to align with bore sighter I had to adjust far right. Anyways we went to the 25 and I was on paper, we we're able to put a few groups in so we decided to go right to the 100 and try it out, it was way out of the big ring, anyways we couldnt get any consistancy at the 100 at all, so back to the 50, and the shots we're all over the target. I had this on my 45-70 last year and missed a big deer when It shot very low from my point of aim (found white belly hair from the deer) I figured it was just me, then we took it off the 45-70 and onto a muzzle loader, and it was doing the same thing as its doing now, we couldn't get consistant groups at all, I really didn't think much of it,  What would explain the difference in Bore sight alignment after a couple of shots without making any adjustments to the scope? The scope and mount is on solid with blue locktite. Anyways I used about $75 worth of my slugs, and Im sending my old 4X leupold to see if the scope needs repair,its over 30 years old (lifetime warranty) and I am gonna mount my simmons white tail classic 1.5-5 scope on it and buy more ammo and try it out again this weekend. Question, my barrell got really dirty, how important is it to clean the barrel between shots??? I will post my results of next week.  Im no expert thats for sure, and im hoping my scope is off, because I know Leupold will fix it right, and if its not my scope then I need to spend more time shooting!  :)  Thanks for listening! :D

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 04:57:58 PM »
I know this doesn't adress all of you questions, but when I tried bore sighting mine I was bad off too. A friend  told me to knock the primer out of a shell put it in the chamber the sight through the smaller hole. It worked for me 5 shots got me where I wanted to be at a hundred yrds. :D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
i find i get better groups with sabots by swabbing between shots with a bore snake.

forget the boresiter. put a target at 25yds and with the action open and a good sand bag rest, look through the barrel and center it on the target. now make your scope adjustments.

easier and more accurate than a boresiter every te

Offline BC73

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Got a email from Leupold today and they told me that my scope is "almost 40 years old" Im gonna send it in and see if their is something wrong with it.