Author Topic: Hey Graybeard?  (Read 626 times)

Offline big medicine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hey Graybeard?
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:14:01 AM »
What kind of hand canon is that in your picture? Looks to be a Blackhawk?
Have been wondering for a while and thought I would ask.
Alan

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
Hey Graybeard?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 12:40:06 PM »
The gun in the photo of my avatar when logged in as GrAybeard is an old S&W Model 29 with 10-5/8" barrel and the four position adjustable sight. This was a gun I used back when I shot NRA metallic silhouette competition. One year in B'ham I won every single Hunter Pistol Iron Sight match held at the Magic City Gun Club using it. The photo is a vignette of me with a hog taken in TN at Tellico Junction with it. The story is in the Camp Fire Tales section of this site.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/campfiretales/campfire.shtml

And yeah this is same old Graybeard just logged in as GrEybeard which I do from time to time. Photo in avatar for this log in is me in CAS gear with a pair of EMF Dakota Colt Clones in .45 Colt. These guns and the leather will be for sale in the classifieds soon.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline big medicine

• Contributor
Hey Graybeard?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 04:01:06 PM »
Ya got to love the mod 29. I couldnt tell from the photo that it was a S&W. I have a 629 with a 4 inch ported barrel that I just love to shoot, it is great to carry. I had a mod 1942 GI shoulder holster made at El Paso Saddelry it the best hand canon to carry in the field. Have only shot a small doe with it, but no doubt it did the trick. :wink:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Hey Graybeard?
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 06:24:19 PM »
Yup, carried that old Model 29 to a lot of hunts in a lot of states. It has killed a lot of game and won a pile of trophies while I shot it in competition. I've used it to kill an untold number of critters from things as small as squirrel to hogs, deer, exotics, varmints and predators and who knows what all I'm forgetting.

Let it go a few years back and sure regret it to this day. The fellow who bought it sure won't turn loose of it any time soon. It's still being shot in competition and still being hunted each season.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
Hey Graybeard?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 06:53:57 PM »
:oops:  :oops:

i always thought that was some sort of radio in you pic. by the way when was that pic taken? i saw pic of you on a custom knife site for a review you did in 2000, looked completely different. very impressive beard. i bet i can guess who plays santa every christmas!! :D
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Hey Graybeard?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 07:07:02 PM »
That photo in my avatar under the name GrAybeard was taken in March of '91 I believe. The one in my avatar under the name GrEybeard was taken last year I think. It is the most recent photo of me on the site.

Wanna see something uncanny you should see the avatar of a new member who lives in Mobile, AL. I spoke with him today by phone and he plans to become an advertiser here within a month or so. His avatar looks almost exactly like I look now. Had to call my wife in here to look. He posts as ruger22com. Almost thought I was looking in the mirror when I saw his avatar.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!