Author Topic: How about these Slugs???  (Read 1453 times)

Offline BC73

• Trade Count: (0)
How about these Slugs???
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:08:14 AM »
I made it over to Cabelas to pick up some shells and rings for my Ultra Slug Hunter deluxe in 12. Anyways, I got a set of Leupold rifleman Aluminum/Alloy high rings, and this set up leaves plenty of room between the scope and hammer spur, I have yet to tightened it down, should I use loctite on the screws?  Also this is my first slug gun so I bought about 8 boxes of slugs to try and find out what mine likes best, let me know what I should or shouldn't be using for shot less then 100 yards, here is my list of shells:

Winchester- Supreme Platinum tip Sabots 2 3/4 400 gr
Winchester Supreme Partition Gold Sabots 2 3/4 385 gr
Remington Premier Core-Lokt 385g
Lightfield Hybred Exp 2 3/4

Thanks ! :D

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 04:47:38 AM »
Your doing the smart thing. Try them all and see what your particular gun prefers. Every gun has its own preference.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline 3s3k

How about these Slugs???
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 05:20:11 AM »
Bc73;

Your approach is on the money trying different slugs,FYI for some reason my ultra slug hunter 20ga preferred the Lightfield exp and remington ultra core-lokts only.GL on your endeavor!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 04:12:44 PM »
I'll bet the Lightfields will do very well, and for under 100yds, they are the best choice. Haven't heard of one of these guns that didn't do well with the Lightfields. The Partition Golds and the Remingtons have a bit more range, but they are a lot more expensive and also lighter/smaller than the Lightfields.

Mine shoots the Winchester PG's and the Lightfields into one hole at 50yds. Can't get a good group with the Remington Corelokt's.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 06:15:35 AM »
Wow...Did you drop $100 on sabots?  That's the right way to do it but man is it expensive...I started with two different type of sabots and luckily they are good...I sighted in using the Winchester BRI sabots and then switched to the Partition Golds...Luckily the Partition Golds worked really well for me and I stuck with them...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
loc-tite
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 08:11:01 AM »
YEs use loc-tite. the recoil of a 12 ga is extreme :eek: but be sure to use BLUE 242 the other coulers will weld the scew nealy never to come of :eek: also dont use the the factory mount base. remount using the same coler of locer :lol:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline BC73

How about these Slugs???
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 09:55:02 AM »
Yeah I spent $100 on Sabots, only 5 to a box!!! Hopefully I'll sight in okay! I got some of the Blue Loctite, im gonna tightened her up tonight!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 03:29:19 PM »
Might as well pick up some federal premium 2 3/4" barnes expanders 3/4 oz slugs too they are the only sabots I have ever used. They worked so I never tried anything else. They have never failed to flatten a deer for me.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
REMINGTON PREMIER CORE-LOKT !!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 05:02:55 AM »
BC, when those Remington Premier Core-Lokt first came out, one of the guys on another forum used them in his 12ga NEF Ultra and was getting everything inside 5" @ 200 yards!    They're VERY accurate at long range.  Everyone else has reported really good long range accuracy with them.

IF you ever need heavy, hard cast full bore slugs for use in a fully rifled 12ga, check out the Terminator (750gr!) and Predator (653gr) from Dixie Slugs.   They won't lead your rifled barrel like soft lead full bore slugs.

http://www.dixieslugs.com/dixieslug.html

This Predator Slug below can also be used in smoothbore barrels if the choke is open enough....  Dixie also offers other specialty loads for 12ga shotguns - like the Tri-Ball Load - three (3) 57 caliber musket balls in a 3" shell!  ;)

GOOD LUCK!  :D

[/url]
The wicked flee where no man pursueth but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 06:54:35 AM »
Gowge, those predator slugs sure look mean. Have you ever shot them yourself? If so what were your results from rifled and smoothbore barrels? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
AWESOME POWER DIXIE SLUGS
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 07:28:57 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
Gowge, those predator slugs sure look mean. Have you ever shot them yourself? If so what were your results from rifled and smoothbore barrels? Thanks....<><.... :grin:

These slugs and specialty loads were designed with dangerous game in mind - like BIG Wild Boars and BEARS, etc.  

The power is awesome.   They'll split hardwood logs at close range.  Recoil ain't exactly for mild mannered shooters.    If you're shooting a single shot with rifled barrel, you'll get exceptional accuracy with predictable drop, shot after shot, but if your gun is a lightweight model, beware of the recoil - it's like shooting any 3" HEAVY Magnum Load.   IF you choose to use a repeater like a Remington 870, it's best to fix the rifled barrel to the action with a product like Brownell's Acra-Glas so the barrel won't move around.    

I'm thinkin' to get a SxS 12ga for the Predator slugs & Tri-Ball Loads.   There's a new "Express Style" SxS being imported right now that has an "Express Rifle Style" ribbed sight and front sight like a British Double Rifle, but it's a smoothbore 12ga.    Strictly for ranges maybe to 50 yards, it would be killer down here in the Swamps for big BOAR Hawgs & the big ol' Swamp Bucks that hardly ever come out to high ground in daylight.    

There's three specialty 12ga loads available from Dixie Slugs that might interest hunters who frequent really thick forests and swamps where they might encounter dangerous animals.   The Original Terminator Slug is HUGE - downright MASSIVE @ 750gr.  

The meplat or flat on the nose is a ½" in diameter on both the Terminator and the Predator.  Only difference, is the Predator is slightly hollowed on the bottom so the skirt will spread a tiny bit in smoothbores to help seal the gasses.  This is more efficient than the attached plastic wads and other gimmicks used by some manufacturers.   Predator is 653gr vs the 750gr of the Terminator and it's usable in either cylinder smoothbore to .725" chokes, or fully rifled barrels.

These high performance slugs are no more expensive than other premium shotgun slug ammo.   I think for some particular uses, they're far superior.   The Tri-Ball Load is three 57 caliber round lead balls in a shotcup that holds a surprisingly tight pattern to 100 yards from some fully rifled barrels!   A paper plate is a pretty good target for slug guns.   IF you can keep your slugs or shot on a paper plate, you have effective hunting accuracy.    We just have to keep in mind the limitations of ourselves and our guns.   Just 'cos you can SEE an animal in the scope doesn't mean you can shoot it well enough to kill it cleanly.    Whether you believe in Taylor's KO Factor or whatever, a 1½ or 1¾oz slug, or TWO OUNCES of musket balls  hitting an animal like a deer or bear at close range is devastating.   Figure the Terminator would rake a Bear or Buffalo from end to end.    At only about 100gr less weight, the Predator is just about equally as impressive.    

For anyone not familiar with 57 caliber musket balls, these things are about 290gr each.  Stack three into a 3" shotgun shell and you can imagine how they'll rip & tear thru any animal.  
The load was originally called the "Hog Cruncher Load" - Kills'em, Guts'em & Skins'em in one shot!     http://www.dixieslugs.com/triball.html

AMAZING STUFF![/size]   :D

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 05:59:31 AM »
This is all very interesting but it sounds rather like add copy. If it is you need to stop or pay GBO for the privilidge. I'd hardly call the breneke attacthed plastic wad a gimmick. It's been around a while and lots of folks have great success with it. Is this your company or your employer? If so how about some samples?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 06:22:58 AM »
Markus,

I was thinking the same thing last night! This guy isn't just "Whistling Dixie", sure seems to know his stuff. I hope he stays around though, might be able to learn a thing or three from him.

Gowge,

Time to come clean. Do you either own, make, market, or sell these slugs? Inquiring minds want to know, and it seems you know a little more than the average Bear. :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
Retired & NOT Connected
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 07:34:35 AM »
Guys, I got NO connections to Dixie Slugs.   I'm retired and have NO plans to work another day.  Dixie Slugs is located in Dixie County over on the GULF Coast of Florida - I'm on the opposite side of the State on the East Coast.  NEVER met them in person, although I've asked a lotta' questions and tried out their products.  

IMHO, they're running a first class (though very small) operation.

I've used over-the-counter factory shotgun slugs with varying degress of success over many  years.   I'm always lookin' to try something NEW or BETTER, so when I heard about the full bore - hard cast Dixie Slugs, I saw it as a big improvement for the guys using rifled barrels on their slug guns.    Until the Terminator was released, only loads for fully rifled barrels were the lighter Sabots.  

James Gates designed the original Terminator Slug for Fully Rifled Barrels to duplicate the very effective and very expensive Holland & Holland Nitro & Magnum Paradox Loads of a hundred years ago.    H&H Paradox Slugs weigh 750gr.   The Magnum Versions moved along at about the same velocity as the Terminator Express.    James motives were to offer a more effective hard cast slug for LEOs & the guys hunting dangerous game like the big ol' HOGS we have in the Swamps down here and for those hunting BEARS in other parts of the country.   The Terminator slug itself became available after the start of hunting season last year, so there was really very little opportunity to test it out.   Some guys in Illinois loaded some Terminator slugs that James sent to them and killed some big dear late last season.    Their reports were very impressive.  Lots of testing this past summer has proven these slugs offer tremendous penetration - would probably rake any black bear or monster Hogzilla in America end to end.    WE know from the performance of the old 12bore H&H Paradox Slugs what's possible with the right load on very large animals.    The average hunter just has NO hope of owning a SxS Paradox, but if you have a strong double or a modern repeater like a Rem 870, you can get equal performance from it with the Terminator Slugs in a rifled barrel.  

As we learn more and more about the old abandoned technology, we can appreciate what these old guns were able to achieve.   Fully rifled barrels might not be the ultimate expression of the gunmakers' art when we take into consideration other factors like recoil and impact velocity.  
Now, we learn that H&H has firm orders for NEW Paradox Guns in every bore that was ever offered!   They're about to go back into production once again.   It will be extremely interesting to me if a manufacturer ever decides to offer a replacement barrel for a repeater shotgun with the special Paradox STYLE Rifling in modern steel and with up to date loads & slugs...  

Here's an old catalog page that might explain a little bit about the Paradox Guns and their purposes...

[/url]

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2004, 11:54:51 AM »
Do they have slugs in 16 ga.? You don't have a lot choices with a 16 but that's what I have and I love both of them. smooth bores of course!
                                                                    tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 01:31:28 PM »
There's a new "Express Style" SxS being imported right now that has an "Express Rifle Style" ribbed sight and front sight like a British Double Rifle, but it's a smoothbore 12ga.

Sounds interesting. Who is making and importing this?

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
16ga Slugs & Sabatti "Leopard" Special
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 04:00:37 PM »
Tommy, for a 16ga Slug, you will probably have to load your own or get someone to load them for you if you can find cast slugs.   If you are unable to locate the slugs to load, you might need to consider casting your own.   Loading slugs is not very difficult - much easier than loading shot!  

Quote from: HuntenNut
There's a new "Express Style" SxS being imported right now that has an "Express Rifle Style" ribbed sight and front sight like a British Double Rifle, but it's a smoothbore 12ga.

Sounds interesting. Who is making and importing this?

Eurogun Imports, Inc.  

"Sabatti "Saba Slug" 12 gauge side by side. 3" (76mm) Magnum with cylinder bores. Blade front sight, folding leaf rear sight. Etched leaf engraving on silver grey boxlock receiver. Single trigger. 19" or 23" Barrels. Probably nothing handles or shoots faster than this thumper. For leopard, shoot slugs then switch to buckshot for the follow up."

Offered in a 19" or 23" barrel length with raised rib and folding rear sight - blade front....

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976425505.htm

I think perhaps the DeHaan SxS Shotguns could be a stronger alternative.  They're proofed over 17000psi and they're built with a Greener Style Crossbolt action.  Automatic ejectors are an option.   http://www.dhshotguns.com

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
Round BALL In 16ga!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 04:22:11 PM »
Quote from: TOMMYY01
Do they have slugs in 16 ga.? You don't have a lot choices with a 16 but that's what I have and I love both of them. smooth bores of course!
                                                                    tommy

Tommy, forgot to mention this....   You could always shoot round ball loads in your 16ga!    A 16ga bore is supposed to be .662" before choke.   You would have to measure the diameter of your chokes to be sure what you have, but it's possible to load round balls in a wadcup so they fit close enough to seal and you can shoot 16ga balls of right at 1oz (1/16lb)...  

In one of Sir Samuel Bakers' books, he recounts his first trip to Ceylon back in the middle of the 19th Century.   Everyone was still using black powder muzzle loaders then, and hunting ELEPHANTS with them!   The sportsmen in Ceylon had never seen a rifled barrel, much less a double rifle.   They were all using SxS "Fowling Pieces" with smoothbores and round balls hardened in Mercury.    To ensure they hit as hard as possible, the guys were using double loads of fine black powder in their 16bore and 14bore shotguns - there were NO 12bore guns in Ceylon at that time!  

To prove the power of this combination, Baker said the guys would kill dozens of elephants in a day of shooting.  HARD ROUND BALLS - 16ga & 14ga diameter - from 1oz to a little more....  MUZZLE LOADERS!  

James Gates told me he loaded some single musket ball loads in a 20ga  for his G'son to use on hogs down here.    The kid shot a nice hog and the ball was found just under the skin on the off side shoulder - flattened out like a silver dollar.     Last time I heard James talk about the 12ga Tri-Ball Load, he was thinking to go to 62 caliber round balls - and just one of  these might be just the ticket for a 16ga round ball load.

IF you must have a heavy slug type load, you might be able to adapt one of the big bore black powder minnie ball slugs to a shotgun shell load...

GOOD LUCK!   :D

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
How about these Slugs???
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 06:12:58 AM »
Wow, thats a nice looking rig, a bit too nice for me at $950. I'd be afraid to hunt with it for fear of getting it scratched or damaged in some way.

Offline Gowge

• Avid Poster
BRENNEKE SLUGS FOR 16 GAUGE!!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 04:06:46 PM »
Quote from: TOMMYY01
                                                                    tommy

Tommy,
It's been so dang long since I even thought about a 16ga slug, the Brenneke 16ga slipped my mind.  I believe Brenneke still offers their slugs in 16ga.   It's probably the absolute BEST slug you're likely to find for your 16ga guns.    Check around and I betcha' you can find some in time for your hunting season.  

Next NEW slugs from Dixie is supposed to be 20gauge.    They're supposed to be designed very similar to the Terminator/Predator in hard cast lead bullet alloy.   BTW, there's also a new X-Terminator ready to ship very soon.   This big slug is 740gr @ .740" diameter, and delivering a whopping 1400fps!   STRICTLY for fully rifled barrels, and with recoil to match the performance on BIG & Dangerous Game.

I'd PAY To See John Kerry
Shoot These in His Fancy Double!
[/size]  :-D