Author Topic: 400 corbon  (Read 710 times)

Offline loneshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
400 corbon
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:28:57 PM »
I just fitted a 400 corbon barrel to my springfield .45. I thought this might be "THE" cal. for pp. has anyone out there worked with this round and what are your feelings on it. I do my own work and as an inst I try to have as much info as possible to pass on to students, in todays world I find that with out sights like this and others that task can be difficult to say the least. Thanks for any and all input.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
400 corbon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:33:23 AM »
loneshooter:  the capabilities of the 400 CorBon would make it an excellent design for just about anything the 45 acp is used for, so in that regard it should work quite well for you.

I have some personal gripes with CorBon and in particular with the 400 caliber of theirs but that doesn't detract from its utility.  A number of folks have reported that it seems to be a hot round with high pressure primer indications - which is what you get with a necked down 45 acp case using a small pistol primer design.  It seems to have good handloading capability.

I feel there are better designs but the CorBon cartridge has its usefullness.  BTW, if you do not yet have adjustable sights on your pistol you  may find you will need them - the 400 hits a lot higher than the 45 does.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline loneshooter

400 corbon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 07:25:21 PM »
Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm getting ready for BPCR match. I agree with you on high pressure signs. I found the load to be more then accurate enough for self defence,but only testing was done at 25 yds. Just another step in search of the perfect round. ( probably have it in a 185-200 GR .45) Thanks for the reply Bill Shoot straight

Offline BattleRifleG3

• A Real Regular
400 corbon
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 04:54:14 AM »
Is it about comparable to a 10mm?  I thought one peculiar advantage of this round is if some thug stole your gun and stuck 45 ACP in it, it wouldn't fire and he wouldn't know what to do.
Moderator at www.gunandgame.com

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
400 corbon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 04:22:50 AM »
BattlerifleG3:  The only comparability between the 10mm and the 400 Corbon is the bullet they both shoot - a 40 caliber slug of various weights.  The Corbon leaves there's in the 135-165 grain range and the 10mm goes from 150-200 grains.  The 10mm is a straight case, the Corbon is a necked down 45 acp round using a small pistol primer.

The design of the 10mm case gives it the versatility of the 38 Super - which is great.  The Corbon is an old design, based on the older Clarke 38/45, but it is just necked up to take a 40 caliber bullet.  The case is sized to fully seat the bullet, which is a waste of case capacity.  The Corbon case cannot handle the heavier bullets with the same degree of accuracy or 'oooomph' of the 10mm with the heavier loads.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
400 corbon
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:02:20 AM »
the Corbon is a necked down 45 acp round using a small pistol primer

What would drive them to do something like that?  Having the equivalent case capacity of a 45, but downsize the primer?  That sounds like necking down the 308 Win. to 243, calling it the 243 CorBon and using a small rifle primer, instead of a large rifle primer.  What gives with their design?  I ask that someone shed some light on this, at least for my sake.  Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
400 corbon
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:58:40 AM »
Patriot_1776:  I think Corbon used the small pistol primer as a means to identify their round as a proprietary cartridge.  If they had simply gone with a necked down 45 acp case their design would have come close enough to my earlier design to have given me rights to a part of whatever they made from the cartridge.  I don't think the small pistol primer has any real benefits unless they substitute a small rifle primer to get additional velocities.  

I will readily agree that their method of reducing the neck size of their cartridge either reduces the case or limits it to that of the acp case.  My design allowed for almost a 10% greater case capacity than the 45.  With the Corbon design the use of lighter weight bullets is almost mandatory as the heavier ones are either too long for their case neck design or further reduce their case capacity.  My case was designed around a 180 gn bullet, functioned well with a 200 grain bullet, and shot a 150 gn bullet so fast I couldn't hear the difference between cartridge detonation and bullet impact at 50 yds.  Just for the hay of it once, I put some steel bbs from a shotgun case into the 150 gn hollow-points and shot them at a steel target at 50 yds - I got major sparks and complete pass-throughs on tire rims at that distance.  I had a ball.  

Anyhow, that's the story on the Corbon cartridge case design as I understand it.  Mikey.

Offline Japle

400 corbon
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 11:08:04 AM »
The 400 CorBon and 10mm are very close depending on who's data you're looking at.  The 400 is better if you're a fan of light&fast, the 10 is better for the heavy stuff.  
I like the 400 because I can drop a barrel into my Witness .45 and have a 135gr JHP at 1350fps with reasonable pressures.  If I want to use heavy bullets, I'll pull out my .44 Mag.
BTW, chronograph readings show no velocity difference  between large and small primers.

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral